Louise slice

popped_out, Mar 6, 3:46am
Bumping because I have a louise cake question,
Is it an option to mostly cook the base first, let it cool then do jam and topping? My recipe, the base is too soft and crumbles even though its had its cooking time, if I leave it in oven any longer the top would overcook. My top didnt go crunchy of stiff when beaten, would it be better if sugar is added gradually? My eggs were fresh though which I know they dont beat up well when fresh.
Love this cake. Used boysenberry jam, might try with other flavours.

antoniab, Jul 9, 1:45am
Anyone have a good recipe for this? I thought it was in the Edmonds cookbook but its not in my version anyway. Or any other sweet that I can use some jam up in.

245sam, Jul 9, 1:57am
From my 1970's Edmond's Cookbook - the metric conversions are the ones I use and are based on 1oz = 28.4grams.

LOUISE CAKE
2½oz (70g) butter
1oz (28g) sugar
2 eggs (separated)
5 oz (140g) flour
1 tsp baking powder
raspberry jam
4oz (115g) sugar
2oz (55g) coconut

Cream the butter and first measure of sugar. Add the egg yolks, then sifted flour and baking powder. Roll out fairly thinly and place on a greased tray. Spread with raspberry jam.
Beat the egg whites until quite stiff and add the second measure of sugar. Beat again. Add the coconut, mixing lightly. Spread on the base.
Bake at 350ºF (180°C) for 30 minutes.
Note: Rather than roll the base mixture out on a tray I press it into a greased and baking paper base-lined tin, approximately 11” x 7½” (27·5cm x 19cm). :-))

antoniab, Jul 9, 2:15am
Fantastic thanks heaps! :)

245sam, Jul 9, 2:29am
antoniab, here's a recipe that you might also like to try for a change. It's from a much more recent Edmond's Cookbook and is for a cake rather than a slice as Louise Cake is.

MACAROON CAKE
100g butter
½ cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1½ cups standard grade flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ cup milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup raspberry jam

Melt the butter in a saucepan large enough to mix all the ingredients. Stir in the sugar and egg yolks. Sift the flour and baking powder into the saucepan. Add the milk and vanilla essence and mix with a wooden spoon to combine. Spoon the mixture into a 20cm round spring form tin, lined on the base with baking paper. Spread the jam over the batter, then over the jam spread the topping.
Topping:
3 egg whites
¾ cup caster sugar
1½ cups coconut
1 tsp almond essence

Beat the egg whites until stiff. Gradually beat in the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is thick. Mix in the coconut and almond essence. Bake at 180°C for 45-50 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before releasing the sides of the tin. :-))

245sam, Jul 9, 2:31am
Allyson Gofton has a recipe for Louise Muffins. Her recipe can be found at:-
http://www.allysongofton.co.nz/recipe/Louise-muffins/?r=3137&fs=1

antoniab, Jul 9, 2:36am
Yum thanks - time to get in the kitchen! First day of paid parental leave so going to bake up a storm this week :)

harrislucinda, Jul 9, 2:50am
just made Louise cake this week from Edmonds i double the base as feel that base not thick enough for us

antoniab, Jul 9, 5:26am
Yeah damn was thinkning that as I made it but had only softened the 70g butter and you're right it is too thin for my slice tin - next time :)

huia991, Jul 9, 6:14am
This is the recipe from my grandmothers cookbook, and it was yum. Have made it a couple of times and has worked well. Sorry it's in imperial measurements
5oz butter
2 oz sugar
10oz flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
Beat butter & sugar to cream, add yolks then flour and baking powder.
Roll out and put on cold tray. Spread with raspberry jam.
Beat egg whites until stiff, add 8 oz icing sugar and 2 heaped tablespoons coconut. Spread on top of jam. Bake in not to hot oven 1/2 hour.

griffo4, Jul 9, 10:24pm
l got this one from a magazine years ago and it is really nice l must make it again

Super Duper Louise Cake

125g butter
4 tablespoons caster sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 cup raspberry jam
1 cup frozen raspberries
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups strand/thread coconut

Cream butter and caster sugar until pale and light
Beat in egg yolks, one at a time

Sift flour and baking powder together and add to butter mixture and mix well
The mix may be dry so put onto a board and knead together with your hands then press into a 19cm x 28cm tin lined with baking paper

Spread jam over the base then scatter the raspberries over the top

Put into pre heated oven 180C for about 10 minutes and make up the topping

Beat eggs whites in a large clean bowl until stiff peaks form
l add the sugar in batches as it is still beating then coconut and then spread on the base and bake for another 30 minutes and you may have to loosely cover it with a bit of tin foil on top to stop it burning

245sam, Jul 9, 10:31pm
elliehen, sorry I "just pipped" you at the post - it was only after I had posted the recipe that I realised you had promised to be tapping away and coming back with the recipe.
Thanks for your endorsement re using a tin for the slice - I have never tried rolling the base, mainly I guess because I have always had that tin available and I liked the idea of keeping the jam, etc. more contained that if it was simply on a tray which I realise is the way that many a good 'old' cook would have made this and many other slices. :-))

antoniab, Jul 9, 10:43pm
ooh yummy thanks Im going to make these today to freeze. Have so much jam to use up - my lovely old neighbour makes the best jam (blackcurrent and plum) but Im not much of a jam on toast sort of person so like to use it in baking :)

bev00, Jul 10, 10:08am
bumping cos these are too yummy to lose

eljayv, Jul 10, 8:53pm
This slightly different version was on here a while back and I use it instead of the old edmonds one, I prefer this topping.
INGREDIENTS

1- 1/2 cups SR flour
150 g butter
1/2 cup sugar
TOPPING INGREDIENTS
1- 1/2 cups coconut
1/2 cup SR. flour
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
50 melted butter
1 teaspoon almond essence
Jam to spread over base
DIRECTIONS

melt butter, add rest of ingredients for base press into greased tin and bake 180 c for 10 minutes.

Mix 1/4 cup ( maybe more ) red jam, bit of almond essence and 1/4 cup chopped cherries spread on basemix,

Mix topping ingredients and spread over jam and bake 20-30 minutes at 180 c

leave 10 minutes before cutting.

wron, Jul 12, 11:19am
How do you cut the Louise Cake into squares if you bake in a non stick tin - I wouldn't want to wreck the surface of my Circulon trays?

camper18, Jul 12, 9:09pm
I always put baking paper in the tin before spreading the base, then when its cooked and ready to cut just lift out the whole slice on the paper and cut it on a board.

wron, Jul 13, 3:27am
Thanks for that!

karlymouse, Jul 13, 11:54am
Whats with the deleted messages ?

slimgym, Jul 13, 6:28pm
I want to know that too

jynx66, Jan 15, 8:10am
Those deleted messages were last year. If you look at the days (of the week) on a calendar you will see this post was started on 8 July 2013. It has been bumped up again on 9 July this year. Have a look at post numbers 17 and 18, both 9 July but one is Tuesday the other Wednesday.
The messages are deleted because the poster was, unjustly, banned from the message board, meaning all her posts on the boards were deleted, too.