Black doris plums?

fizzy_kiwi, Feb 1, 6:46am
What's the best use for these guys? I will be eating a few, but would love to try making jam or something.

cgvl, Feb 1, 7:05am
they make lovely jam and I make plum sauce with a mix of Black Doris and other plums. You can bottle/preserve and freeze them too. I, if freezing, tend to put some in a pot with a bit of water and lightly stew them first but you dont have to.

ballito, Feb 1, 7:27am
Make the best plum sauce

nauru, Feb 1, 7:47am
Yes great plum sauce, jam and paste as well as pies and crumbles. Also agree to freezing or bottling. I just stone, cut up and freeze them in ziplock bags.

lythande1, Feb 1, 6:53pm
Jam and sauce for sure.
No idea in Ch/ch, they are all over Akld. Try your local vege shops down there, more likely than supermarkets.

nauru, Feb 2, 4:03am
Maybe try your local market, that's where I bought mine from.

jane310567, Feb 2, 4:08am
crikey haven't seen these for years - love them! Tell me if anyone finds them in CHCH.

klc1, Feb 2, 6:38am
I always stew them up with some sugar and then pop into the freezer. Great in the winter for a crumble.

fizzy_kiwi, Feb 2, 8:47am
Awesome, thanks guys. I know my friend (who has the tree) makes a wicked spicey plum sauce, but I thought I'd try something different.

I still need to climb up and check the tree, I've never really seen black doris in stores anywhere. Farmers/produce markets might the best place to find them, but I really wouldn't know.

winnie., Feb 3, 9:50pm
Raeward Fresh @ Tower Junction, $ 5.99kg

carlosjackal, Feb 4, 1:26am
If you have any plums left after making jam, sauce and chutney, poach a few with caster sugar, a couple of cinnamon sticks and a small quanitiy of port. Freeze them and during the colder months you'll be able to enjoy them with custard and cream!

valentino, Feb 4, 3:10am
Going to give this a go, interesting. by Nadia

Black Doris Plum Sorbet

Ingredients

canned black doris plums 1 x 850g can, juice reserved
gin 50ml

Method

Cut plums in half and remove stones.
Place plums in a dish or container, or lay on a tray lined with baking paper, and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight until frozen hard.
Place frozen plums in a food processor with about 1/4 cup of the reserved plum juice, blend until smooth.
Return to container and freeze until ready to serve.

To serve, scoop into serving bowls (I like to chill my serving bowls in the freezer too before serving, so they keep the sorbet nice and cold when served) and pour over a little gin or vodka if using.

rainrain1, Feb 4, 3:41am
Not plums but. I stoned and froze some fresh picked cherry halves recently, we ate them frozen in our fingers. What a treat they were. Central Otago cherries, I have never tasted them so delicious as they were the day we picked them, so very sweet. Then we bought an icecream which gets churned up with fresh fruit. Wish I lived closer, I would have gone back the next day to get more

dlmckay, Feb 4, 3:45am
I tried the Nadia Lim sorbet - it was super yummy, but we had ours virgin :) Definitely worth the fiddle around to make it.

wron, Feb 5, 10:51am
I called into a plum orchard in Oratia today, Red Doris out (bought a bag, not fully ripe) but they say the Black Doris should be out next week - running a bit late this season.

propagator, Feb 6, 1:50am
Would your friend share her recipe with us?
Son has just made two batches of plum sauce but has been disappointed with his two separate recipes. There is no plum flavour and I'm wondering if maybe the plums weren't ripe enough.

wenz6, Feb 6, 11:31am
sometimes i takes awhile for the taste to come out.

boop2, Feb 8, 10:53pm
yummy make the best jam you could taste.

tehenga288, Feb 9, 8:36am
Propagator - I was wondering this too cos I have ben given 3 or 4 kilos of plums that were picked under ripe. I have left them for a couple of weeks but they don't seem any riper. Taste bland . Most chutney/ sauce recipes I've looked up say use over ripe plums - meantime I'm stoning and freezing them.

rainrain1, Feb 9, 6:45pm
Yea over ripe fruit, makes the best jam, no doubt whatsoever about that

bev00, Jan 9, 8:16am
Plum shortcake / slice
http://tvnz.co.nz/good-morning-recipes-latest/black-doris-pl
um-slice-4038911

I iced mine with runny orange icing as I didn't have enough orange juice. Delish warmed with vanilla yogurt on the side, or eaten cold

Edited by rainrain1 at 6:57 pm, Thu 6 Mar

rainrain1 (7 7 positive feedback) 6:54 pm, Thu 6 Mar #1