Preserved Lemons . I know I can make them. did

karlymouse, May 29, 7:57am
some years ago, the salted way, then did the frozen and chopped version per Annabel. but I hear you can buy them now. which shop and how much and are they any good . :) Thanks for info

nickyd, May 29, 8:18am
I have seen them in New World, but from memory I thought they were quite expensive, something like $8 or $9 for a small jar?

sally63, May 29, 10:49pm
Its so easy to make them. Why not?

karlymouse, May 29, 11:46pm
Because sometimes you just want them that day . and I find they don't keep that particularly well.

lythande1, May 30, 12:45am
Just pick one. once a lemon tree gets big and mature they pretty much fruit all year.

davidt4, May 30, 2:55am
In my experience home made preserved lemons keep for years. The colour darkens after a while but the flavour only improves.

karlymouse, May 30, 2:59am
Thanks David; the last batch I did the Annabel way and froze them first (apparently to break them down faster) they did not age well at all. there was a cloudy skin inside the container after about 2 months. I did do an autopsy on them and they did not look good. probably a good idea to stick with the salted version.

karlymouse, May 30, 3:00am
These are preserved lemons a different flavour to a picked lemon.

sally63, May 30, 11:06pm
I have had mine for over 2 years and they are still fine

buzzy110, May 31, 12:12am
Me too. I wouldn't bother with freezing them. The traditional way of making them has stood the test of time and is the way I always make mine.

Sometimes a white film can appear. That is a yeast called kahm and is harmless though can affect taste.

I have a few small heavy glass ornament type things that I use to make sure the contents of all my fermented foods stay beneath the liquid. This helps a lot as the jars start to empty and contents float to the top.

Be sure to use non-iodised salt. Cerebos sell a sea salt in either a blue pourer or a plastic bag with blue signage. Iodised salt ruins fermented foods.

samanya, May 31, 6:38am
I'm with karlymouse on this one. I've had a couple of attempts at preserving lemons, in 'proper' jars, keeping them submerged . using your recipe as well as another & each time they have gone white mouldy looking & I haven't used them.
eta . it's more than a 'white film' on the top of the liquid that I'm talking about. It's white mold on the actual lemons.

fishplants, May 31, 7:28am
Sorry to hear that samanya.

If you want to give it another go then make sure that the lemons you use are "real" lemons something like "Yen Ben" or similar.

It will not work with the lovely sweet NZ cross of an orange with a lemon which is called a "Meyer Lemon". There is not enough acid there to keep the lemon from rotting or starting to go yeasty before it turns into a fermented lemon.

I have tried it time and again with recipes from this message board and found that only "real" lemons or limes will do the "right" thing.

Good luck next time.

davidt4, May 31, 7:30am
I'm surprised that people have mould problems with preserved lemons. The only reason I can think of is that they are not using enough salt, as that is the major preservative. I just mix lemon quarters with lots of pure salt, leave them about an hour to soften slightly then pack them into a big jar with more salt. Top up with lemon juice until the lemons are covered and put a tight lid on. Give them a good shake every day for a couple of weeks until all of the salt is dissolved, then turn them about once a week to redistribute the liquid. They will form a very thick liquid and can then be left for years. It is important to use a clean utensil when taking a piece out, and don't use your fingers. I'm just using the last of a big jar that is about two years old.

samanya, Jun 26, 10:00am
Thank you, that's maybe where I went wrong. My Meyer tree is laden, but my Yen Ben is all of 80cm tall . new plant, so I'll either have to buy lemons, or wait!