Spinach,eggplant,chickpea salad from Ripe please?

raebee, Jul 12, 9:22am
Hi there,
I got to try this delicious salad at a family member's place the other day and she's going to pass on the recipe to me but I'd love to serve it to visitors tomorrow, however i wouldn't be able to get the recipe from her by then.
Does anyone have it please, who'd be willing to pass it on here? (particularly someone who's still up tonight or sees this in the morning before i go shopping!)

I've never cooked eggplant in my life so it's a new thing for me to serve up and the particular dressing was really nice so i'd love the actual recipe from this particular recipe book. I believe the book is just known as 'ripe'? It looked like a pretty simple salad to make though. if you know how!

figured it's worth a shot asking :)

kilmarnock1, Jul 12, 10:03am
Have just googled chickpea, spinach and egg plant salad Ripe recipe and it comes up there, I am sure you will find it if you try that.
Good luck.

raebee, Jul 12, 10:11am
Hmmm strange as I googled it and searched on here first. Will try again.

raebee, Jul 12, 10:21am
Nope i still can't seem to find it in Google. A link would be great please?

245sam, Jul 12, 10:38am
I Googled for the recipe as soon as you posted your request raebee and I found reference to the salad but nowhere could I find the actual recipe, so a link would indeed be useful for you, and anyone else who is interested. :-))

raebee, Jul 12, 10:49am
Yes I had found that reference to the recipe previously too although I'm pretty sure there were no nuts in the one we had. Anyway off to bed now so not too worried. Found stacks of other eggplant salad recipes so might experiment with one that looks good. Will see how tomorrow pans out. :)

davidt4, Jul 12, 9:52pm

ruby19, Jul 13, 5:27am
May be a bit late but I make this and it is lovely
You couls add spinach leaves I dont add the walnuts, but add mint and coriander.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/420624/grilled-aubergines-with-spicy-chickpeas-and-walnut

raebee, Jul 13, 7:23am
saw both those as i was googling thanks and particularly like the look of the first one. but in the end i decided to leave it until I had the exact recipe i'd tried. And luckily so as couldn't even see eggplant in the fruit shop or the supermarket today. As i said, i've not cooked with it before so don't even know when it's in season but thought it might be seeing i'd eaten it last weekend and i could have sworn i'd seen it in the shops recently.
. and then the visitors forgot to come anyway!
When i get the actual recipe from my SIL, i'll post it here though :)

raebee, Jul 17, 8:44am
Now i have the recipe. just in case anyone else wants it :).

1 cup chickpeas soaked overnight (or a 390g can, well drained)
2 eggplants, diced into 2cm chunks
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 cups (80g) baby spinach
1 cup (40g) fresh italian parsley, finely chopped
1/2 cup (20g) fresh coriander, finely chopped

dressing:
2 Tbsp pomegranate molasses (apparently my SIL used apple concentrate instead)
3 Tbsp hazelnut oil or olive oil
zest and juice of one lemon
pinch of salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 200.
Cook the soaked chickpeas.
In a large roasting dish, combine the eggplant, olive oil, cumin seeds, ground cumin, salt and pepper. Toss the eggplant pieces in the spices until well coated.
Bake the eggplant for 25 minutes, remove from the oven and add the cooked chickpeas. Return to the oven to cook for a further 10 minutes or until the eggplant is well cooked and the chickpeas are lightly roasted.

Dressing - Put in a bowl and whisk to combine.

In a serving bowl place the eggplant, chickpeas, baby spinach, parsley, and coriander. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to mix.

bev00, Mar 5, 6:12pm
worth a try