Gluten Free morning tea recipes please

mbos, Dec 31, 11:41pm
For baking, I just replace the flour with Orgran gluten free flour, 1 cup for 1 cup - same amount of baking powder or soda that the recipe asks for, using the Edmonds, as it is gluten free.

I have successfully baked biscuits, cakes, slices, and sponges this way. So I just use my standard recipes that I would use anyway.

suzanna, Jan 1, 12:38am
This is one of my favourite cakes. Sometimes for a dessert I make an orange syrup , poke a skewer into hot cake and pour into the holes. Delicious.
Here is Claudia Roden's original recipe for Orange and Almond Cake from "A Book of Middle Eastern Food" Knopf 1968

2 Large Oranges
6 Eggs
1 1/2 Cups Ground Almonds
1 cup Sugar
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
Butter and Flour for Cake Pan

Wash and boil the oranges (unpeeled) in a little water for nearly 2 hours (or for 1/2 hour in a pressure cooker).
Let them cool, then cut them open and remove the pips.
Turn the oranges into a pulp by rubbing them through a strainer or putting them in an electric blender.
Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the other ingredients, mix thouroughly, and pour into a buttered and floured cake pan with a removable base if possible.
Bake in a preheated moderately hot oven (400 degrees) for about 60 minutes. Have a look at it after 1 hour-this type of cake will not go any flatter if the oven door is opened. If it is still very wet, leave it in the oven for a little longer. Cool in the pan before turning out. This is a very moist cake.

Cooks notes:
Use juice oranges and scrub the wax off in hot water using a plastic scrubber to make sure you do not ingest the wax. As suggested in Catherine Bedson's blog I cook the oranges when it is convenient. even a few days ahead. This makes it a very easy cake to make. Catherine uses caster sugar instead of regular sugar. I see no difference having made this both ways. I grind the oranges in a miniprep, (not available in 1968 when the original recipe was published). I substitute either sugar or rice flour for the regular flour used to butter and flour the pan. I remind you to always have all of your ingredients at room temperature before beginning. If you want the cake to be not too moist I suggest that the color be a dark golden brown when it is done. It does not do well sitting in a humid house as it tends to take in the surrounding moisture. although you can pop it into the oven at a low temp, (200-250) to dry it out again.
■Use quality oranges. If they’re bitter, the cake will be bitter.
■NO shortcuts on the boiling oranges step! Boiling reduces the bitterness of the orange pith and softens the rind. Failing to do so will result in a bitter chunky cake, which is nasty .
■Navel oranges don’t have pips, but other varieties do. Once boiled cut them open, check for pips and remove them!
■Watch the baking time carefully. Other bakers have reported variable baking times, ranging from 45-60 minutes. Keep a close eye from 35 minutes onwards and check with a skewer to see if it comes out clean.
■Use a springform pan, and let the cake cool in the upright position. Do not attempt to turn the cake out , because it’s a squidgy one and it will fall apart. A broken cake is a sad cake.
■Tins: I used a 22cm round springform tin, filled to around 2/3 – 3/4 full. If you’re making a smaller cake, stick to the 2/3 full rule and turn the leftover batter into cupcakes or something equally marvellous.

suzanna, Jan 1, 1:06am
These are very versatile- serve as 'bites' or pikelet-sized with toppings of choice. I particularly like mushroom, bacon and sour cream mix made 'pate-like'.
These were served with drinks at my daughter's wedding for those who were gluten free.

Fresh Corn on the Cob Pancakes

Chopped Onions or Shallots to Taste
Fresh Sweet Corn on the Cob or Frozen Kernels thawed roughly one to one egg
Herbs
eggs
salt and pepper

1. Saute onions or shallots in butter or oil or rendered bacon fat and set aside in a bowl to cool
2. Cut the cooked corn off the cob into the bowl— 1-2 ears should be enough for 1-2 people
3. Chop fresh herbs and add to the mixture. Chives, parsley, sage, basil, tarragon, thyme, sorrel, chervil and lemon balm all go well with corn. Make your own creation.
4. Add egg and mix in there should be enough liquid to rise close to the level of the corn. about one egg per ear of corn
5. Add salt and pepper to taste
6. Spoon onto a hot skillet with fat, use the back of your spoon to flatten them a bit. make smallish cakes so they are not too big to easily flip. Turn as the bottoms begins to brown.

bev00, Jan 3, 12:16pm
great ideas

sarahb5, Jan 3, 8:43pm
I bake gluten free using my existing recipes but using gluten free baking mix (Healtheries is good) and make sure your icing sugar is gluten free too if making frosting.

irenew, Jan 4, 1:02am
If you are doing a morning tea with gf visitor(s) can always buy little rice crackers which not too expensive and add the usual toppings or a dip.[/quote]

As someone who is GF I appreciate when people go to the extra effort and ensure I don't miss out on all the offerings. Hummus is particularly nice with rice crackers. Just check that the crackers are indeed GF as not all rice crackers are. Other suggestions are fruit platters, a selection of nuts and the other tasty ideas already given. There are tons of recipes on the internet.

kassie48, Dec 31, 6:53am
can be brunch. Thanks, I have no idea.

nik12, Dec 31, 7:53am
Scones. with a gluten free mix and either the idiot proof recipe on here, or the lemonade one (check you lemonade). Cream and jam (if not home made jam, anthothes (spelt wrong!), from the supermarket, read the labels.
Corn fritters made with cornflour batter. Ham (again, the right ham, deli champagne usually ok, ask them, cheese and tomato platter. Hmmm, fruit platter, vege platter. with cream cheese dip?

ahaaaaa, Dec 31, 10:31am
crepes made with gf flour, fill with smoked salmon, cream cheese etc

hesian, Jan 1, 2:16am
A food technologist said many conventional recipes can be made using gluten free flour, such as Bin Inn mix, but double the baking powder. I dont think it works so well for biscuits.

I tend to just use easy recipes for cakes, muffins and it has so far worked for me. I have a couple of biscuit recipes but they dont convert in the same way. These are a variety that I have found on here or been given.

Agree about the pancakes/pikelets. Buckwheat flour is most successful with these. (Bin Inn cheapest).

If you are doing a morning tea with gf visitor(s) can always buy little rice crackers which not too expensive and add the usual toppings or a dip.

davidt4, Jan 1, 2:33am
Pumpkin frittata with gorgonzola (Angela Hartnett)

Olive oil

1 small onion, peeled and sliced

300g roasted pumpkin, peeled and diced

1 handful parsley leaves, chopped

Salt and freshly ground black pepper 

4 eggs

200g gorgonzola, broken into chunks

Heat a touch of olive oil in a large frying pan, and gently sweat the onion until soft; you don't want it to take on any colour. Once soft, stir in the cooked diced pumpkin and parsley, season to taste and mix well.
Whisk the eggs, pour them over the contents of the pan and stir gently, to combine. Cook over a low heat, until it's almost cooked through from the bottom up – about 15 minutes – then place the pan under a hot grill, to flash the top.
Turn out the frittata on to a board, cut into neat squares and top each with a small chunk of gorgonzola. Serve warm or cool.

davidt4, Jan 1, 2:35am
Prawn, Lemon & Parsley Frittata

6 large eggs
salt and pepper
handful of parsley leaves, finely chopped
zest of 1 lemon
juice of ¼ lemon
1 heaped tab Parmesan, freshly grated
180 g peeled cooked Australian prawns
25g butter
olive oil
¼ tsp chilli flakes

Heat oven to 220C.

Whisk eggs with salt and pepper, add parsley, zest, juice and Parmesan.

Roughly chop half of the prawns, leave the rest whole, add all to eggs.

In a small non-stick pan heat the butter and a splash of oil over med heat until it begins to foam. Pour in egg mixture and stir briefly. Put pan in oven and cook for 4 - 5 min. until slightly golden and starting to rise. Remove, sprinkle chilli over, cut into small pieces and serve warm or cool.

davidt4, May 20, 1:48am
Beetroot frittata (Nigel Slater)

175g raw beetroot

4 spring onions

a handful of parsley

a small bunch of dill

a clove of garlic

3 eggs

a large knob of butter

50g grated parmesan

Peel the beetroot then grate it finely in a food processor. Thinly slice the spring onions, chop the parsley leaves & dill fronds and stir all into the beet.

Peel and crush the garlic. Melt the butter in a shallow, non-stick pan about 28cm in diameter then add the garlic and let it sizzle gently until it becomes a pale gold. Add the grated beetroot and cook for two or three minutes. Beat the eggs lightly, season, add half of the grated parmesan and then pour them over the softened beetroot. Cook on a very low heat until the eggs appear to be just setting. 7 or 8 minutes, maybe more.

Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and finish under a hot grill till it is set and golden, but far from brown.

Cut into small pieces and serve warm or cool.