Best Ever Lemon Meringue Pie

fee1965, Aug 6, 7:08am
I know I can google - before you all jump down my throat. bit i prefer to ask PEOPLE not a search engine, prefer tried and tested

lodgelocum, Aug 6, 7:31am
I use a recipe from one of Tui Flowers cookbooks. Have made this for 30 odd years and call it my "signature dish" lol

One precooked pastry case

3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cornflour, mix together

Gradually add 1 cup water and 2/3 cup lemon juice, to the above, cook over a medium heat, stirring continuously until thickened.

Add lemon rind of three lemons, 2oz(50g) butter and two egg yolks lightly beaten, cook for a few minutes.

Pour into precooked pastry base, then add meringue on top from the two egg whites beaten then gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, place in medium heated oven for 6-8 minutes until meringue lightly browned.

In fact, this is what we are having for dessert tonight.

245sam, Aug 6, 7:32am
Here you are fee1965. From a couple of earlier lemon meringue pie threads, a couple of recommendations and a recipe.

"I make this regularly and everyone loves it,. I do use 50grams of sugar, add more lemon juice and zest and just buy sweet pastry though . ~ http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/my-favourite-lemon-merin gue-pie-1140 Quick and easy! Edited by holly-rocks at 11:04 am, Sun 11 Aug
Quote holly-rocks (0 ) 11:03 am, Sun 11 Aug #4"

"Lemon meringue pie isn't difficult at all. Pastry base - bake blind. Then make the lemon part:

3 egg yolks
1 cup water
juice and rind of 2 lemons
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons cornflour

Place the above ingredients into the top of a double boiler, or a pyrex dish over a saucepan containing water. Stir until heated through and thickened. Cook for a further 2 or 3 minutes. Allow to cool then spoon onto the pastry.

To make the meringue: Beat the three egg whites until stiff then add 4 tablespoons castor sugar a little at a time and then add 1/2 tsp vanilla essence. Spread meringue over the lemon mix making sure there are no gaps with the lemon mix showing. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes at 200 degC to brown meringue. Yummy.
Quotekuaka (1397 ) 10:06 pm,
Quote bev00 (1737) 11:45 pm, Thu 22 Aug #6"

"This is the recipe I have been using for many years. It's on the Be-Ro flour web site. Look under the pastry section.
http://www.be-ro.co.uk/f_insp.htm

Edited by kiwitrish at 8:56 am, Mon 16 Sep
Quote kiwitrish (222) 8:55 am, Mon 16 Sep #2 "

Hope that helps. :-))

dlmckay, Aug 6, 7:52am
Is the lemon part meant to be set or runny? We made one last night with cornflour, sugar, lemon juice, butter and egg yolks and it was really runny. Tasted lovely, but I was expecting it to be set?

shardy2, Aug 6, 8:38am
The Edmonds frozen Lemon Meringue pie in a box at the supermarket is so delicious and homemade tasting I never bother to bake one.

motorbo, Aug 6, 8:43am
a fave of mine but to be honest al I want is the curd and meringue - not the base lol

245sam, Jan 19, 2:03am
motorbo, while IMO the Jo Seagar recipe is too sweet I think you'd like the concept of her recipe for Lemoncinos which is basically the two components of Lemon Meringue Pie that you like served in ovenproof cups, cappuccino-style (i.e. lemon curd, topped with meringue mixture and baked). I'm happy to post the recipe for you if you'd like it, but again I say that when I made this dessert we considered it to be too sweet and to date I haven't looked at cutting back on the sugar quantity. :-))