Freezer meal ideas please

macman26, Oct 8, 5:44am
Ok, I'm wanting to get some meals made up & frozen in single portions for my Mum who is getting on, and lives alone. I thought if I did a batch every few weeks it would work well, as she doesn't have a lot of freezer space. I thought I'd do main meals, as well as some sweet treats for her to have as well.

Would love some fresh ideas so she is not getting the same old thing all the time :) TIA

awoftam, Oct 8, 6:06am

unknowndisorder, Oct 8, 6:09am
when you make your dinner, can yu not do an extra portion, so that it doesn't interfere too much and become a chore? wOuldn't work with some meals, but would work with others

nOt trying to sound mean, I think Yu sound lovely for doing it. (I admit to being glad my parents are in a retirement village, and know they can get good cheap meals if not up to cooking).

as for treats, muffins, little cakes.

dO Yu have much freezer space? (Sorry for damned typos, I am over fixing them lol)

sampa, Oct 8, 6:35am
Does your Mum have any particular likes or dislikes food wise? I she allergic to anything, have any food intolerances? Any info like that will help posters here offer better ideas for great meals and treats for her for you to pop into her freezer.

Great idea, she has a lovely daughter to care so much. :)

sampa, Oct 8, 6:43am
unkowndisorder what Gremlin's have got into your computer? Once I had a 'situation' that involved a glass of vino and my keyboard that resulted in no P (no kidding - no P and no 7,8 or 9 either). that was interesting till a new laptop was purchased, and needless to say - I'm far more careful these days. :)

Hope whatever is going on with yours is resolved soon.

macman26, Oct 8, 6:43am
Good point Sampa! She doesn't like beans, and nothing too spicy (she was quite a plain cook). and she is a diabetic, but she still eats desserts, just adjusts her meds to suit.

We have plenty of freezer space unknowndisorder, doing an extra portion is a great idea!

That looks and sounds yummy awoftam, do you serve it up with mashed spuds or something?

awoftam, Oct 8, 7:08am
You could do mashed spuds, sure, if she wants to cook them . I love it with dumplings as the recipe states however these don't freeze well, of course.

unknowndisorder, Oct 8, 7:17am
Unfortunately, not a gremlin, but an IOS update on the iPad, and it automatically goes to capitals for the first letter, so my automatically holding down the caps key negates it, and then hold it too long for the second letter.

It is a brain adjust, and being a touch typist, find it hard enough to have no feel on the keyboard as it is lol

Only vino goes in the operator, or sometimes onto the screen, which means I can't use it for a bit - waiting for it to dry lol. (I really am starting to realise I just need to be lazy with my typing, but it won't be good for me at work tomorrow lol)

unknowndisorder, Oct 8, 7:20am
Have you tried freezing them? Just wondering, as I know you can buy them in the freezer section at the supermarket (not a fan, so no idea how they work out).

macman26, Oct 8, 7:24am
I thought I could cook up the mashed spuds & freeze it as well

awoftam, Oct 9, 4:23am
Different sort of dumpling I assume - you are looking at the Asian ones?

rainrain1, Oct 9, 4:59am
Cook up a bit of corned beef and vegetables, and mashed potato, some parsley sauce and freeze a few meals

artemis, Sep 11, 4:56pm
Check out eat.co.nz for ideas. Also a good option for a change.