Quince Jam

korbo, Apr 9, 9:39am
made Allyson Goftons recipe, but when I went to cut up the quinces, a couple were bad inside, SOOO, i chopped a few apples very small and added. I have the most delicious jam. I also cut back on the sugar, and it tastes just right.

whitehead., Apr 9, 10:22pm
what with ,i bake my quinces in the oven before boiling as you can cut them up easyer if your worried about setting add an apple ,a green one is best

muffin2, Apr 9, 10:40pm
wife made quince jam 3 weeks ago. she cut up the quinces and boiled for about an hour? then mashed with a potato masher and boiled again with a bag of 'jam setting' sugar - it tasts very nice!

cgvl, Oct 19, 4:44pm
Are you after a recipe?

wash quinces and wipe with a damp cloth to remove fur. leave whole or cut up in halves or quarters. No Need to peel or core.
Put all into a preserving pan or deep pot, cover with water and bring to the boil. Boil gently until quinces are soft and mushy, DO NOT be tempted to mash.
Strain liquid through a jelly bag/clean pillow case or clean tea towel into a clean pot or large mixing bowl, again DO NOT squeeze.
Once all liquid has drained off, you will need to measure it and put it back into the clean preserving pan. For every cup of liquid add approx a cup of sugar. I use 3 cups liquid to 2 cups sugar as I don't like jams too sweet.
Bring back to the boil, add the juice of 1-2 lemons and keep at a rolling boil until some tested on a plate shows it will set. Bottle into hot sterilised jars and put on lids.