Recipe to use up onions?

nunesy, Apr 30, 9:55pm
I accidentally bought too many onions (yellow) and they need using up. any great easy recipes out there? Have hunted on here but only found onion bhajis. Also googled french onion soup but again quite a long and complex recipe. Looking for something simple and quick! Thanks!

beaker59, Apr 30, 9:59pm
How many did you buy onions last for ages in a cool dark place?

I buy a sack about once every 3 months.

jonnynotions, Apr 30, 10:09pm
caramelised onions in the slow cooker if you have one

lilyfield, Apr 30, 10:10pm
I freeze them chopped up for soups later

nunesy, Apr 30, 10:55pm
Oh freezing them is a good idea! Might do that, easiest option :) Thanks.

harrislucinda, Apr 30, 11:16pm
onion soup not complex easy fry onions then ad stock then blend often make as quick any onion relish or marmalade

herself, Apr 30, 11:18pm

lythande1, May 1, 1:53am
Onion rings.
French Onion soup
Cheese and onion pie (you can freeze them)
etc.

whitehead., May 1, 2:38am
slice your onions as many as you wont boil up 3 cups of vinger with 2 teaspoons of pickling spices and 1or 2 cups of brown sugar or white what ever to taste pack your onion in clean jars and tip the hot vinger over leave for an hour you can make sammys or have with cold meat ,taste better the next day and will last 6months or more if you wont to seal them keep in fridge once opened

nunesy, May 1, 5:40am
Thanks everyone, some of these I've never heard of (like cheese and onion pie - intriguing!). Can you buy pickling spices from normal supermarkets, like where the other spices and herbs are?

awoftam, May 1, 6:19am
Roast them as well. They are gorgeous roasted (with other roast veges). I just peel them and leave their hairy bottoms intact to hold them together. Nom nom nom. So sweet.

nauru, May 1, 6:30am
How do you do your caramelised onions in the SC pls?

nauru, May 1, 6:35am
I have memories of Cheese & onion pies from childhood in the UK, you can also make pasties with the filling too. Yes you can buy the pickling spices at the SM in spice aisle.

jethrocat, May 1, 6:41am
lots of onions goes well with tripe and sauce.

jonnynotions, May 2, 5:20am
4-5 large onions, 3 Tbsp olive oil or melted butter, 1/2 tsp salt, thinly slice all onions, transfer to slow cooker (should be half to 3/4 full), toss with olive oil/butter and salt, cover and cook for 10 hours on low, stir occasionally if you are around (but not necessary), if you like you can continue cooking for another 3-5 hours on low uncovered. Refrigerate or freeze.

nauru, May 2, 5:39am
Thanks for that, I will give it a try.

sarahb5, May 2, 9:32pm
French onion soup - make sure you slice French style from top to bottom, cook them in butter until really, really soft before adding good stock, make sure you thicken it and make sure you serve with Gruyere and decent bread. There was a thread last year and I added my recipe to it

nunesy, May 2, 11:50pm
Thanks for these, might have to buy even more onions to try them all :D

katje, Jun 7, 9:23am
French onion soup is amazing! Best use of an onion in this world

awoftam, Jun 7, 9:31am
A great beef stock is the secret, or key to this recipe, I reckon. If short on time Simon Gault has brought out a range of stocks that really are exceptionally good.