Hummus

taureanbabe, May 26, 9:23pm
Want to make some hummus today. bought some tahini, have a can of chickpeas and a lemon. what else is good to put into hummus?

245sam, May 26, 9:26pm
taureanbabe, here's a recipe for a 'plain/basic' hummus that I have successfully used.

HUMMUS
2 cups canned garbanzo beans, drained (400g drained weight)
⅓ cup tahini
¼ cup lemon juice
1 tsp salt
2 garlic cloves, halved
1 tbsp olive oil
1 pinch paprika
1 tsp minced fresh parsley, optional

Place the garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, salt and garlic in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Transfer mixture to a serving bowl.
Drizzle olive oil over the garbanzo bean mixture. Sprinkle, if desired, with paprika and parsley.
Makes 2 cups.

Hope that helps. :-))

awoftam, May 26, 9:28pm
I whizz up:

1 can rinsed and drained chick peas
2T tahini
juice of a lemon (to your taste)
1 fat clove of garlic
olive oil and some water (get it to the consistency you like, I use more oil than water)
salt to taste

Sometimes I add cumin.

Nom nom nom

taureanbabe, May 26, 9:40pm
what are garbanzo beans, are they the same as chick peas or similar?

245sam, May 26, 9:59pm
oops, sorry taureanbabe - I guess your question arises from the recipe I posted above at #2. That recipe is from a US website where chick peas must be more commonly known as garbanzo beans - they are same thing. :-))

nauru, May 26, 11:20pm
As others have said, add garlic and maybe a touch of olive/avocado or nut oil. To the plain hummus, sometimes I add a little onion powder and either one or all of the following: a little steamed pumpkin, finely chopped roasted/ marinated red pepper, chopped cashews and cumin then give it a final whizz. Makes a nice change to plain hummus.

deanna14, May 27, 12:14am
I don't buy tahini, I use peanut butter, always just as nice. I love lots of cumin.

hezwez, May 27, 12:30am
My blender died during a hummus blend the other day. What wattage motor do you suggest for heavy blends such as this?

suzanna, May 27, 1:08am
I like to add ground cumin and coriander rather than paprika. I just keep tasting until it's how I like it.

nauru, May 27, 6:59am
I just use my little food processor which came with my original hand blender to make my hummus, makes just enough for the two of us. If making a larger amount I use my bigger Sunbeam food processor.

hezwez, May 27, 7:04am
Thanks nauru. I'm going to have to look at buying something with a bit of grunt.

awoftam, May 27, 7:12am
I just use a smallish kambrook processor like nauru - blenders blades not big enough. My kambrook was about 50-00 and is so handy for things like hummus, salsas, making stuffings etc. Use it all the time - more than my big blender.

wildflower, May 27, 7:15am
Garlic and lemon definitely though I've made it with all sorts of vegetables I still love the traditional the best except I don't usually worry about tahini. Pinch of cayenne is good too.

mike16, Jun 1, 9:42am
I use peanut butter too . just as good as tahine which is only peanut butter made from sesame seeds.
Heaps garlic, heaps of olive oil !
Great with crackers with the old 9pm cuppa !

awoftam, Jun 2, 7:51am
I know what you mean, you did make me laugh tho.

village.green, Jun 2, 9:28pm
I use my stick blender to make hummus as my processor is a bit big for one can of chick peas. I often use a Jamie Oliver recipe which doesn't use tahini, pinch of cumin seeds, pinch of chilli, juice of one or two lemons, olive oil, garlic clove, pepper & salt, one can of chick peas (retain some of the juice for loosening) and Bob's your uncle. I too also make it sometimes with peanut butter, adds a really nice flavour. I don't measure anything when making this nowadays.

motorbo, Jun 2, 10:01pm
I prefer it made with chickpeas ive soaked and cooked myself, I do a bit batch and freeze in lots so ive got them on hand when I need them, I prefer the texture, I also like not too much oil, some water is good and cumin and garlic - yummmm

awoftam, Jun 3, 5:46am
Yip, sounds like my kinda hummus. I use more water than I used to now actually, altho the main lubricant is oil and lemon juice water loosens it up a bit more. Never cooked my own chickeebabes, will give it a try.

deanna14, Jun 21, 9:52am
I agree about the oil, you don't need that much, I reserve the water from cooking the chick peas and use that. Never too much cumin in mine, love it.