Jerusalem artichokes.

eleanornz, May 11, 11:26am
Does anyone on this board actually use these vegetables? I know they have a reputation for creating gas, but would appreciate any first hand recipes on what to do with them!

katalin2, May 11, 7:38pm
I make soup, there is a really nice Digby Law recipe if you google it. I have also had it at a restaurant very finely sliced and crisp roasted in butter as an accompaniment to a meat dish, it was very nice. I also add some to roast vegetables when in season, ie mix with potatoes, pumpkin, parsnip etc whatever you are roasting . We love it's delicate flavour, and the family name for them is fartichokes. :). They grow really easily from just one artichoke, or even from the peelings .

lilyfield, May 11, 7:42pm
Oh I love them just steamed on their own, also raw grated in salads for crunch

motorbo, May 11, 8:25pm
Beyond its prebiotic properties, Jerusalem artichokes are rich with iron, potassium, and vitamin C. Jerusalem artichokes are also a great source of thiamine (B1) and pantothenic acid (B5), a very good source of niacin (B3), and a good source of pyridoxine (B6) and riboflavin (B2).
I was recently given some and told you eat it in small amounts due to the association of gas, I roasted it with potatoes and kumara last night and it was a small amount very well roasted - gotta say cooked that way they are delish!

samanya, Aug 7, 9:57am
I have grown them for the first time & not too fussed on them roasted or as a vegetable . but this recipe I have made & it was a huge hit & a definite 'keeper' imo. The flavour is delicate, slightly earthy & totally delicious.
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/soups/carrot-and-artichoke-soup.html
Well worth putting up with a bit of extra fa**ing!