Marrow

rainrain1, Mar 10, 4:37am
How do you cook yours to go with meat for dinner? I've been given this great big whopping thing, and I'm not sure what to do with it, or if I even like it

245sam, Mar 10, 5:12am
rainrain1, we really enjoy marrow so unless I'm making the following recipe with marrow, I always steam the unpeeled marrow pieces, then either serve them as an accompaniment to meat or fish simply sprinkled with salt and pepper, or topped with grated cheese or cheese sauce.

SAVOURY STUFFED MARROW
1 medium-sized vegetable marrow
1 tbsp dripping or oil
1 onion, chopped
340g minced beef
5 tsp flour
150ml beef stock
2 or 3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
salt and pepper
1 tsp vinegar
50g-60g each of fresh breadcrumbs and grated cheese

Trim off the ends of the marrow, halve it lengthways and scoop out the seeds. If the marrow is too long for your largest saucepan, halve each section across the middle. Put the marrow halves/pieces into boiling salted water and cook them for about 15 minutes until just tender. Drain carefully and as thoroughly as possible – I tip the pieces upside down on to paper towels and allow them to drain that way, then turn them over and fill the hollows with more paper towels.
Meanwhile heat the dripping or oil in a saucepan and fry the onion until it is beginning to brown. Add the minced beef and stir it over the heat until it is browned. Mix in the flour, stock, tomatoes, seasoning and vinegar. Simmer on a very low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally – it should be a very thick mixture - if necessary, stir in some of the breadcrumbs.
Place the marrow halves/pieces in a baking dish, making sure that they sit upright. Fill the marrow hollows with the mince filling. Mix the breadcrumbs and cheese together and sprinkle this topping over the mince filling. Pour a little water around the marrow halves/pieces, then cover the dish loosely with foil.
Bake at 190°C for 20-30 minutes until heated through – it may be necessary to remove the foil for the last few minutes to allow the breadcrumb/cheese topping to crispen.

Hope that helps. :-))

samanya, Mar 10, 5:27am
I'm so pleased that you asked this.
I've got a couple of monster marrows in my garden& I keep ignoring them, hoping they go away, but they haven't!
& then along comes 245sam with a lovely solution . bless you sam.
edited cos I got sam's name wrong . put a t in it. ;o)

rainrain1, Mar 10, 6:19am
Yes the recipes will help, I might pluck up some courage and try. thankyou

mjhdeal, Mar 10, 11:05pm
My 'recipe' is very simple. all I do is slice marrow in half lengthways, scoop out innards and discard. Fill with a (cooked) savoury mince mixture, cover with tinfoil and bake 30 minutes in a 200 degree oven. Remove foil, top with grated cheese, bake another 10 minutes (without foil).

deanna14, Mar 12, 12:01am
I just scoop the seeds out and use the remainder as I would a zucchini. My favourite way is to make a quiche in the fry pan that's finished in the oven.

lythande1, Mar 12, 12:54am
Awful things, best picked when still courgettes.
The standard thing is to stuff them, but really they're still awful.

kirmag, Mar 12, 1:12am
This is what we did with our last marrow - picked on Friday night while enjoying a few bevys. marrow-latern

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/369325365.jpg

Still have another the same size, if not bigger (Mr didn't take care of my plant while I was away for the week), that would meet the same fate.

rainrain1, Mar 12, 4:14am
Ha ha kirmag, very good. the chooks will get the rest of mine

mothergoose_nz, Mar 12, 7:14am
they can be used to extend jam

katalin2, Mar 12, 6:17pm
Cut marrow in half, scoop out seeds, grate marrow. Cook up some finely diced onion and garlic in a little butter or oil, add grated marrow, salt and pepper and finely chopped fresh dill ( or herb of your choice) stir well, and cook on med heat. When done, stir in some sour cream. This is an old family recipe from way back.

gardner12, Dec 30, 2:18am
You can slice to about an inch across and cover with cheese and bacon bits and bread crumbs like a pizza