4 dozen eggs to use up!

sarahw2, Jun 16, 7:37am
Tried and yummy recipes please:-)
I will make some muffins tomorrow!

lynja, Jun 16, 7:47am
You can freeze eggs. Put in small containers - say 3 eggs in each. Whisk them lightly together. Once thawed they are perfect for baking.

lilyfield, Jun 16, 7:56am
Eggs keep weeks and weeks and weeks

duckmoon, Jun 16, 9:34am
that is only two trays.

dinner tomorrow night: a frittata (don't know how many in your family but) that is 10 or 12

bacon and egg pie. I do it in a 23cmx15cm roasting/baking dish. that can be another dozen.

you are half way there in the next two days

harrislucinda, Jun 16, 9:47am
nuns eggs on toast yummm

rainrain1, Jun 16, 11:23pm
Make a potato and boiled egg salad with honey mustard sauce

nilaveli, Jun 16, 11:34pm

kaddiew, Jun 17, 2:31am
Lemon Honey

sarahw2, Jun 17, 5:42am
Thanks! Now just gotta cook something while looking after Miss 5 weeks!

glasshalfull, Jun 20, 2:08am
Egg salad with celery and sultanas.
Best Mayonase and 1/2 as much sourcream combined with dash of lemon juice. favourite salad of all!

bev00, Jul 7, 8:28am
One thing I do regularly is cook a mushroom and rice 'base', with lots of vegetables, herbs, onions, garlic (whatever I've got, and whatever takes my fancy). Lay that into a lasagne style large baking dish. Then I mix 500g cottage cheese, 5 eggs and one packet of broken up feta . I tip this over the top and bake the whole thing in the oven for about 45 mins. The eggy-cheesy topping is lovely. This would use up a few of your eggs anyway ? This topping can be used on mince bases, or pasta dishes too. It's kind of like a cheaty bechamel sauce without all the mucking about of having to make a white sauce. :-)

Edited by 2halls at 10:11 am, Thu 4 Jul

For more ideas/recipes try doing a search here on the Recipes MB using eggs as the Keyword and Last year as the Date posted option, and here's a couple of 'eggy' dishes that we enjoy and you might like to try.

Alison Holst's CONVENT EGGS
4-6 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and ¼'d or ½'d
2-3 medium onions, thickly sliced
¼ cup (4 tbsp) each of butter and flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper
about ¼ cup grated cheese

Cook the onions gently in the butter (in a saucepan or in the microwave) until they are tender but not browned.
Add the flour and milk to make a roux sauce, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the cheese, add the eggs and reheat gently.
Serve e.g. on toast, sprinkled with paprika and/or chopped parsley.

SPINACH QUICHE
posted by raevah who said "It is really like a deep quiche, and you can't even taste the spinach. It looks lovely and marbled with green - so much so my niece and nephew have renamed it Frog Pie. A good way to eat spinach without noticing. You can add any vegetables you have…mushroom, broccoli (cook first) or throw in frozen corn or whole cherry tomatoes. The recipe makes a big pie/quiche, but that’s good, because it tastes even better the next day, cold or reheated.

1 x 130g bag spinach, cooked and very well-drained – see notes below
1 cup grated tasty cheese (or use lesser amounts of blue or feta)
½ cup flour and ½ tsp baking powder or ½ cup self-raising flour
60g butter, melted (optional)
4 or 5 eggs
2 cups milk
pepper and salt – see notes below
2-3 tbsp pine nuts (optional)

Whisk the eggs, butter and milk together.
Gently mix the spinach, cheese, flour and baking powder, then pour the egg mixture into the combined spinach mixture and mix as little as possible. Pour the mixture into a greased 23cm pie dish or casserole dish. Top, if wished, with a sprinkling of pine nuts.
Bake at 200°C for about 45 minutes, until golden brown and puffy.
Serve the quiche hot, warm, cold or reheated – it’s just as good, if not better, the day after it’s made.
Notes:
To cook the spinach simply fill the bag with water then allow all the water to drain away. Cook the spinach with only the water that is clinging to its leaves, and just until the spinach is wilted – alternatively use frozen spinach – allow it to thaw then squeeze as much as possible of the liquid out of the thawed spinach. 1 x 130g bag of spinach yields 65g cooked and well-drained spinach.
• I (245sam) cook the quiche in a rectangular Pyrex dish with a base measurement of approximately 22cm x 14cm – the top measures approximately 25cm x 17•5cm, and I find that 45 minutes is just right for the cooking time. I use 175g-200g feta and because of the feta’s saltiness I do not add any salt, but I do use a good sprinkling of white pepper. I also use 5 x No. 6 eggs and because I use trim milk I do also add the optional butter.

Hope that helps. :-))

245sam 10:29 am, Thu 4 Jul #3

upnorth, Jul 7, 8:49am
Save up eggs as it is election time soon.

piquant, Jul 7, 9:48am
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/recipes/6651849/Recipe-Gladstone-Inns-semifreddo

This is very special! Treat yourself to a tongue tickling dessert!

punkinthefirst, Jul 8, 2:05am
They do keep for a while in cool storage. To check if they're OK to use, put them in a deep bowl of water. Any that stand on end are a bit stale and should be used quickly, preferably for baking (except for the likes of meringues). Any that float should be discarded (or thrown at politicians!)

anne1955, Jul 9, 9:27pm
So right we get so precious over dates and keeping things. If you are really worried about eggs, just break one at a time before adding to what ever you are doing, you'll soon see in if it's no good and if one is doesn't mean rest are. Like so much people just toss away because dates are out. Get over it. If it stored right things last for so long past dates on them you'd be mind blown. If things are sealed they last ages, and ages If you open something and are iffy about it then toss it. Or learn tricks to make things last longer. If not using a full tin of tomato paste cover open area with oil and put in fridge. If you need a bit more another time, pour off oil use what's needed and cover again same oil is fine. And use oil in winter tends to semi set :) nothing the matter with I can be seen in grocery shops and the number of people that say oh this is off no it's cold like us we freeze up in winter as well. Anyway oil from top of tom pate can be used in dressings or to fry in and has added flavour. Just a wee hind from my book "101 of living on dog bones" . One can live on the poverty line and eat gourmet foods it's just knowing how. And it is really simple. The number of people who's eyes pop out when they know what I eat and cook for others. Makes a joke out of feed 4 for 15.00

cgvl, Jul 9, 11:28pm
agree anne1955, I can cook a much nicer meal for 8 or more from that $15. They really annoy me as they are only a main never any other vegies or dessert. I feed and buy all our cleaning products, toiletries etc on $50 per week, sometimes it eases up to $80 but that is rare (2 older adults who like the best of everything).
RE the eggs OP: mine will last up to a month after purchase (we use them quicker though), I always do the float test to check if eggs older than a fortnight. Its rare to have to throw any away. If you have a freezer do some baking and freeze it or make quiche's/pies and freeze.

punkinthefirst, Jul 10, 7:16am
Yay! anne1955 and cgvl. two posters after my own heart!
I've always had to feed a family on the smell of an oily rag and know it can be done. I don't HAVE to, these days, but the habit is ingrained now, and so I have spare money for other things - like helping out my Grandkids, and buying art and craft materials.

bev00, Mar 24, 11:47pm
another round .