Choko

muffin2, Jul 31, 4:17am
a lady at my wifes work gave wife a choko a couple of weeks ago and we've got no idea how to cook it, ot what it tasts like. It's a big ugly looking thing and to be honest does not look that appetising.
Her friend at work said we can grate it into a pancake

anyone got any suggestions?

skydancing, Jul 31, 4:32am
One of my favourities.

Peel the green skin off, will be a bit slimy take out the middle core then cut flesh into quarters. Steam or lightly boil and it is wonderful with a cheese sauce. I am going to use it in stir frys this year and I have had it roasted as well.

ahaaaaa, Jul 31, 5:57am
You can do anything with it you can do with a courgette. They have a lot of water in them and a very mild taste. You could just add it to a soup for extra nutrients. Chopped small or grated they will disappear in it.

snapperheadrkp, Jul 31, 5:59am
Choko's are brilliant in Stir Fries. NZ Asian Restaurants use them finely sliced in place of tinned soft Bamboo Shoots, but added at the last minute for crunch. Try it!

uli, Jul 31, 6:09am
Oh NO!
That is terrible.
No comparison to moso shoots at all!

whitehead., Aug 1, 3:46am
i like them in salards but if you cook them they go slimmy

leonieb, Aug 1, 4:21am
Apparently, if cooked with sugar, they are a good substitute for apple of pears in puddings.

leonieb, Aug 1, 4:22am
or pears.

uli, Aug 1, 5:22am
If they go "slimmy" you could be good for a few kilos loss!

beaker59, Aug 1, 5:29am
Choko's are surprisingly good. I just slice fine and sauté in a little butter and pepper.

dibble35, Aug 1, 6:11am
Choko soup is wonderful - got to add bacon and flavorings of course. and I tried them steamed with cheese sauce for the first time this year - beautiful!
If its an older gnarly looking choko it will not be as nice as the younger tender ones.

ritebuy, Aug 1, 8:14pm
sliced thin and fried in garlic butter they are so nice I grow them and live on them all year they are packed with all the good things

arielbooks, Aug 1, 10:45pm
If you are going to add to fruit pies they are and extender, not a replacement. Nice raw in salads, they also make a wonderful mustard pickle.

moparpete, Aug 2, 6:42am
Make choko relish ,very nice with cheese and crackers.

uli, Jan 26, 3:50pm
We harvest them in early autumn for cooking (about half the size of what they are when ripe). No need to peel then, just slice, sautee in butter with a few onions. Or make into a lovely soup with bacon and cream. Add to stir fries etc. Fully grown ones need to be peeled (a sticky business) and gutted - as the area around the seed would have gone hard by now.