Plums and more plums

bev00, Mar 21, 1:22pm
BRANDIED PLUMS
1 x 850g can plums, drained and the syrup reserved
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
2 whole cloves
2 tbsp brandy

Into a small saucepan place the reserved syrup, cinnamon and cloves. Simmer the spiced syrup for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, carefully halve and stone the plums, then place the plums into a serving dish.
After the 5 minutes simmering time, add the brandy to the syrup, then strain the hot syrup over the plums and refrigerate the Brandied Plums until cold.
A serving suggestion is to serve the plums in individual dishes, topped with whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon - done this way, they will serve 4- 6.

Hope that helps. :-))

Quote245sam (41 ) 3:53 pm, Wed 20 Mar

kaddiew, Mar 21, 7:17pm
Plum jelly. You use a large quantity of plums for a small yield of jelly, but the taste (at least for me) is far nicer than plum jam.

mig1, Jan 3, 10:42pm
Help required! I have an abundance of plums and need some ideas and recipes please of what to do with them other than freezing them. thank you in advance

teddy147, Jan 3, 11:16pm
plum sauce
plum jam
plum and apple crumble
you are lucky you have plums on your tree, everyone done here has had bad year for plums due to weather. oh have a look in receipes go to the left hand side and type it in.

carlosjackal, Jan 4, 12:14am
One year we had a bumper crop and ended up with more than 30kg! We had plum sauce, jam and chutney for Africa! I also poached some plums and put them in the freezer to enjoy during the winter.

ENJOY!

bev00, Jan 5, 12:48pm
I've just today made this jam and it is tasty! A nice Christmassy plum jam, it's worth making even if you are like me and already have plum jam leftover from last year! Made about 4 normal jam jars. If I can get more plums I'm going to make more. It's adapted from a recipe I found online.

Plummy Winter Jam

1 kilo plums
1 kilo sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
a pinch of cayenne pepper
Juice of 1 lemon

Clean and pit plums, slice them in quarters. Cook together with spices and lemon juice - bring to boil then boil slowly for 15min. Mash if you want a smoother jam (I very briefly used a stick mixer so I still had some lumpy bits but it was more smooth than normal). Add sugar and bring to boil again. Once boiling, simmer for about 25 min till jam is setting (I had a thermometer and once it got to 220F it was at setting point). Process in sterilized jars for jam.

Quotepicxie (745 ) 3:34 pm, Sun 1 Jan #4
If you have any left over fresh plums. why not make a fruit tart?
125g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
2 eggs plus one extra egg yolk
60ml brandy
2 tbsp plain flour
200g ground almonds
600g ripe plums, halved
2 tsp milk
Sour Cream Pastry:
200g chilled, unsalted butter - chopped
300g plain flour
80g sour cream.
For the pastry, pulse the butter, flour and a pinch of salt in processor till it is like breadcrumbs. Add sour cream and pulse till dough comes together in a ball. Wrap in glad wrap and chill for 20 mins.
Place butter and caster sugar in processor and whizz for 5-6 mins. scraping down side of bowl as you go. Once it is thick and pale, add eggs, one at a time, whizzing well after each addition. Add the brandy and whizz for 1 minute to combine. Add flour and almond and pulse to combine. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface into a circle about 30cm in diameter and about 5mm thick. Place on the tray or a pizza tray. Spread almond meal mix over tart base, leaving a 5cm border. Arrange plums on top,cut side down. Fold over pastry edge to meet the filling and gently press down to seal. Chill for 20 mins. Preheat oven to 190C Beat the egg yolk,milk and pinch of salt together with a fork, then brush over the pastry edges. Bake for 40-45 mins until pastry is golden and plums are soft. Dust with caster sugar, cut into slices and serve while warm.

Quotecookessentials (1214 ) 3:38 pm, Sun 1 Jan #5
Oh - I forgot, I also added 1/2 cup water to the fruit when first boiling. I don't suppose it matters too much as I guess the water evaporates during the whole process.

Quotepicxie (745 ) 3:57 pm, Sun 1 Jan #7
Plum and Chilli Sauce

3 kilos dark plums, washed, halved and stoned (firm plums are best),
1.5 litres (6 cups) white vinegar,
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 
1 tablespoon crushed garlic, 
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed dried chilli, 
1 teaspoon ground cloves, 
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger, 
1 teaspoon of ground allspice, 
1.5 kilos white sugar.

Place the fruit, salt, garlic, chilli and vinegar into the pan and bring to the simmer, cooking until the fruit is pulpy. Place the spices into a small bowl and mix to a paste with a small quantity of vinegar then add to the fruit in the pan. Add the sugar and stir until it is dissolved and the sauce reaches a rolling boil. Boil, stirring frequently for at least 30 minutes and the sauce thickens slightly.

Quotedavidt4 (212 ) 5:17 pm, Sun 1 Jan #8
Fresh Plum Summer Pudding

Cook about 800g fresh plums in a teacup of water. Add 2 tab sugar when soft & remove stones.

Line a casserole dish with slices of white bread with a round piece of bread on the bottom. Soak the lining with some of the plum juice.
Place a layer of plums, then a layer of bread until dish is full, finishing off with a layer of bread. Cover & put a weight on top. Leave till cold, preferably overnight, turn out & serve with custard and/or cream.

bev00, Dec 5, 6:07pm
jessie981 wrote:

Recipe from Aunt Daisy
6lb dark plums
3 pts vinegar
2lb sugar
1tsp cayenne
6tsps salt
2tps gr cloves
2tsps gr ginger
1tsp pepper
1tsp gr mace
1oz garlic
Boil till pulp, strain & bottle when cold.

:)

Quoteelliehen (4449 ) 6:56 pm, Sun 1 Jan #11
What is that recipe for elliehen? Is it a chutney?

Quotepicxie (745 ) 12:02 am, Thu 5 Jan #12
http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Summer-Plum-Shortcake

Substitute home made Jam and Home Stewed Plums.

Quotetoadfish (1720 ) 6:49 am, Thu 5 Jan #13
picxie wrote:

What is that recipe for elliehen? Is it a chutney?

. looks more like a thick sauce to me.

Quoteelliehen (4449 ) 1:21 pm, Thu 5 Jan #14