Fatty pork roast

charliesangel04, Jan 30, 8:59am
We recently put one of our pigs in the freezer, she was an incredibly fat creature. I have a roast that I want to cook tomorrow I was wondering because there is so much fat under the skin do I cook it any differently to a normal roast pork? I was going to scorch the crackling then put it on low heat for a few hours.
Any advice greatly appreciated!

smallwoods, Jan 30, 9:09am
Set it up on a rack so it stays out of the fat while cooking.

charliesangel04, Jan 30, 9:39am
That's good thinking, thanks for that

davidt4, Jan 30, 9:42am
Lucky you! Cook it long and slow and periodically pour the fat out and save for another use. I find that with lovely fatty pork roasts the crackling turns out better when you cook slowly first, about four hours at 140 C, then turn up the grill heat and watch like a hawk as the crackling puffs up.

charliesangel04, Jan 30, 9:44am
I wasn't sure if pork fat was ok to re use its good to hear that it is. I'll follow your advice davidt4 and see how it goes.

thewomble1, Jan 30, 10:30am
Roast it using milk. Change the milk a couple of times while cooking. Milk also good for roasting goose.

lilyfield, Jan 30, 7:08pm
i would take the skin off, remove as much fat as possible, drape skin back over and roast.

But then-- I hate seeing any fat on anything, would never eat the crackling either.

charliesangel04, Jan 30, 9:10pm
Your missing out!

charliesangel04, Jan 30, 9:12pm
I've done turkey breast and pork belly in milk, they turn out devine, I wasn't sure about the roast, how much milk would I need its a decent sized piece of meat.

fifie, Jan 30, 10:46pm
Yum your lucky, just pour the fat out as it appears while cooking. Your in for yummy crackling score the skin well with a sharp knife easier to do if its cold from fridge, pour boiling water over skin fat will rise underneath for the crackling. pat dry paper towel rub oil over skin sprinkle with salt into a hot oven about 20 mins till its starting to brown turn oven down about 140 and cook. Always do home kill pigs like this just the best but you do have to keep emptying the pan of fat occasionally.

socram, Jan 31, 3:11am
The melted fat is then pork dripping when it cools and despite the poverty aspects from 60+ years ago, delicious on fresh bread - even white bread.

Rub celery salt into the skin first and the dripping is even tastier.

mazzy1, Jan 31, 5:11am
Great advice davidt - exactly how I cooked a gorgeous big free-range pork belly last weekend. I dry fried some fennel seeds for a few minutes, put them into a mortar and pestle with some pepper corns and ground them up a bit, added olive oil and massaged this into the skin, getting right into the scoring. I put it into the fridge overnight to marinate before I cooked it. OMG the fennel is too too glorious! We squabbled over the crackle even though there was just two of us. Probably just as well we only have this treat once in a blue moon eh?

beaker59, Jan 31, 5:44am
I have some large rosemary bushes so instead of putting the roast on a rack I lay down a thick bed of rosemary branches.

Lard tastes even better ;)

thewomble1, Apr 11, 2:50am
Can not remember . I just use enough to cover the pan by about 1 to 1.5cm. Try not to let too much of the skin soak in the milk.
The following recipe will give a help . I hope
ngredients

1 3-pound boneless loin of pork
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 small white onions, about 3/4 pound, peeled
1 quart milk
¼ cup heavy cream

Preparation

Rub the pork with salt and pepper.
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven. Brown the pork well in the oil on all sides over medium heat for about five minutes. Add the onions, then stir and brown for five minutes more.
Drain off all the fat. Add the milk and cover. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for one-and-a-half hours. Remove the lid and cook another one-and-a-half hours until the milk is almost evaporated.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Strain the milk gravy into a saucepan, add the cream and bring to a simmer. Save the onions and the milk residue. Place the roast in the oven and cook 10 minutes or until brown.
Slice the meat and serve it with the gravy spooned over and the onion mixture on the side.