Nice salads for Xmas (without lettuce)

Page 1 / 2
uli, Nov 26, 9:27pm
x1
can't lose this thread!

sampa, Nov 26, 10:45pm
x1
Nope don't want to have this one disappear, need plenty of yummy salad ideas to balance out all the 'naughty but nice' stuff the season brings for sure!

I may be entering a twilight zone where I keep thinking that I want salads with fruit in them so did a search and found this -

http://www.blogher.com/spinach-watermelon-strawberry-salad

which looks visually lovely (and very Christmasy too) and sounds yum. But. Radicchio in NZ? No idea where I'd buy that from. May have to sub with something - red cabbage for colour and crunch and apparently watercress is a suitable sub (for the sharp/spicy element I'm guessing).

Might have to wait for the watermelon to arrive before I can indulge. Probably too early even for import stuff yet. Would make a nice light and festive Christmas Eve dinner with a few succulent lamb rib chops sizzling on the barbie and a glass of something suitable. Rosé maybe. how long till Christmas Eve? Hungry now!

kirmag, Nov 26, 11:09pm
x1
This is yum. and very easy to make:
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/426643670.jpg chopped tomato, capsicum, cucumber and feta drizzled with olive oil and a good sprinkling of dried dill. Yum and refreshing! I got this one in my email this morn, which I am def going to try once the courgettes are producing well in the garden (minus the olives for me though):
https://allthecooks.com/@fofa_tx/minty-zucchini-salad-5VhwQM
6Cc7?utm_campaign=mailing&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_me
dium=email

muffin2, Nov 27, 12:06am
x1
I make a salad that has
1 - 2 avocados chopped into chucks
1-2 cups pitted olives (I use a mixture)
1 block of Feta cheese cut into cubes
half to 1 cucumber (depending on size) peeled and de-seeded and chopped into chunks
1 punnet of cherry tomatoes (chopped in half if they are larger ones)
2-3 spring onions chopped
handful of torn basil leaves

mix together in a bowl and add about 2-4 T good quality extra virgin olive oil and toss to coat

I just call it the avocado / olive salad - not sure it it is an actual salad with a name, but that's what I call it.

stroppywench, Nov 27, 1:57am
x1
Hi folks, looking for some inspiration for Xmas salads that are a little more interesting than just our usual lettuce /cabbage based things. What combinations have you found to be successful? The main meat is probably going to be lamb . Thanks!

punkinthefirst, Nov 27, 2:17am
x1
There's usually raddichio in those bags of leaves in the supermarket. BUT if you put some seeds in now, you probably have time to grow your own baby raddichio before Christmas. just! Maybe there are even plants to be had. Worth a try!

davidt4, Nov 27, 2:36am
x1
I've been making this quite often lately. You need nice young beetroots, not old tired ones.

Beetroot Salad

Serves 6

Vinaigrette
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 tab Dijon mustard
1 tab red wine vinegar
salt
3 tab. extra virgin olive oil

500g fresh young beetroots (3 med.)
1 tab fresh herbs – parsley, tarragon, chervil, chives.
3 tab capers
4 gherkins, chopped

Peel beetroots and grate finely. Mix with dressing and other ingredients. Stand to mellow 30 min or more.

Will keep in the fridge for several days.

davidt4, Nov 27, 2:40am
x1
Cauliflower, Raisin, Almond & Preserved Lemon Salad
1 cauliflower, cut into olive sized florets 
2 tbsp butter 
1/4 cup raisins 
1/2 cup flaked almonds, toasted 
1/2 preserved lemon, zest only, finely diced 
4 sprigs mint, torn into small pieces 
1 long red chilli, seeded and finely sliced 
75ml extra virgin olive oil 
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds 
salt and pepper to taste 
drizzle pomegranate molasses
Heat a large non stick frying pan on a medium flame and add the butter, then the cauliflower. Cook over medium heat until the cauliflower has a golden colour and is just starting to soften, take out of pan and set aside to cool down. 
Toss all of the ingredients together just before serving except the pomegranate molasses. 
Place in a suitable serving dish and drizzle with the pomegranate molasses

davidt4, Nov 27, 2:41am
x1
Greek Spiced Eggplant & Tomato with Yoghurt (George Calombaris)

serves 4 - 6
keeps in fridge 3 days

2 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
140 ml ev olive oil
2 red onions, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
400g tin crushed tomatoes
1 tab sherry vinegar
1 tab tomato paste
olive oil for frying
2 eggplants in 2 cm cubes
2 tsp salt
10 coriander leaves
10 mint leaves

to serve:

pinch of saffron
50 ml milk
200g natural Greek yoghurt

Heat coriander and cumin seeds in small frying pan over med heat until lightly toasted and fragrant. Cool and crush with mortar and pestle.

Heat 1 tab oil in saucepan over high heat, add onion, garlic and crushed seeds, cook 4 min. Add tomato, vinegar, tomato paste and remaining olive oil, simmer 45 min.

Meanwhile heat saffron and milk over low heat for 2 min. Set aside 1 hour to infuse. Mix with yoghurt and refrigerate.

Heat in a large frying pan enough olive oil to fry eggplant (about 1 cm depth in large pan). When very hot fry eggplant in batches 2 - 3 min or until just tender, drain on paper towels.

Take tomato mixture off heat and add eggplant and salt. Cool. Finely shred coriander and mint leaves and sprinkle on top.

Serve with saffron yoghurt, grilled steak, chicken, lamb.

kirmag, Nov 27, 2:41am
x1
Broccoli Salad (mmmmm yum)

2 large heads of broccoli (I use 3 if for a larger crowd, or if the
heads are small)
1 red onion - sliced
Chopped bacon - as much or as little as you want
1 cup peas (run under hot water to thaw)
Toasted sliced almonds

Dressing:
3/4 - 1 cup of mayo (I use Best Foods or Pams)
Dessert spoon - 1 Tbsp of honey (add more if you need it - if you put
to much in just add more mayo or vinegar)
Balsamic vinegar - i just add it to taste

Method:
Fry off chopped bacon, set aside.
Boil a pot of well salted water and then add broccoli. Don't cook for
long because it still needs to be crunchy. Blanch in an ice bath to
stop cooking process - just cold water with lots of ice.
Compile salad by draining broccoli once cold, onion, peas and half of
the toasted almonds. Add dressing. Mix. Then top with the rest of
the almonds. Keep in the fridge until needed, but I think it tastes
nicer at room temperature.

uli, Nov 27, 2:47am
x1
Radiccio to eat cannot be grown in summer.

yes you should sow it now and it will grow nice green and big very bitter leaves. Then in winter it will grow that nice head of red slightly bitter radiccio.

Personally I have never seen any radiccio in any salad mix in NZ as it is so very expensive (because time consuming) to grow. I sometimes get it on the growers market, but then at a very high price.

Even in Italy it is never cheap!

kirmag, Nov 27, 2:57am
x1
This is also a yummmm salad from food in a Minute
http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Kiwi-Summer-Salad

loukirby, Nov 27, 3:10am
x1
my usual salad is diced avocado, baby beetroot, capsicum, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and drizzled with a tamarillo vinaigrette, mmmmmmmm

dreamers, Nov 27, 3:56am
x1
Broccoli crunch salad
http://www.cooks.com/recipe/334qf0dz/broccoli-crunch-salad.html
I don't add the sugar, but I have added 6 or so cut asparagus blanched for a minute or two.

kirmag, Nov 27, 4:09am
x1
My sister does a similar but toasted slivered almonds instead of sunflower seeds and the mayo has honey not sugar in it and is more like the old fashioned mayo granny used to make. Very yummmmm!

molly37, Nov 27, 4:31am
x1
Apologies as I dont know who to credit this recipe too, but its scrummy and a nice change to lettuce!
Spinach orzo feta & pine nuts,
1 (16 ounce) package uncooked orzo pasta
~3/4 of a (10 ounce) package baby spinach leaves, finely chopped
6 oz crumbled feta cheese
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup pine nuts
2-3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil (or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil)
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
~1/4 cup olive oil (more if it's too dry)
~1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
directions:
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in spinach, feta, onion, pine nuts, basil and white pepper. Toss with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Refrigerate and serve cold.

ahaaaaa, Nov 27, 4:37am
x1
5 peeled sliced pears (cores removed), tossin diluted lemon juice.
1/2 - 1 whole cup walnuts smashed with a rolling pin in a bag +1 tablespoon pine nuts (optional). Fry these in a healthy oil till dark golden. Cool and add to pears.
Chop 125 gms blue cheese of your choice and add.
Toss all and sprinkle with generous dollops of pomegranate molasses. Looks good served on a white platter.

This provides 8 - 10 servings. Still nice the second day.

dibble35, Nov 27, 5:30am
x1
That sounds yummy, will have to have a try of it and see if its different enough from the salads my sister will do. Don't want to have similar salads!

artemis, Nov 27, 5:33am
x1
My Food Bag had a lovely salad based on pearl couscous. Added finely diced veges were lebanese cucumber. lightly cooked corn kernels, roasted red capsicum (can buy this), red onion, chopped coriander stalks.

Dressing was salsa verde, but could use another herby dressing.

fourz, Nov 27, 5:51am
x1
Im going to make this for Christmas, but I will use only broccoli and will add a smidgeon of curry powder to the dressing and some grapes.

Found it on Pinterest

AMISH BROCCOLI SALAD
This delightful salad with my own tweaks lends itself to some wonderful ideas for variations, so be sure to check them out at the bottom of the recipe! This recipe will definitely feed a crowd. The Smoked Gouda lends an amazing flavor to the salad and would be especially great served at a barbecue. The original recipe called for 1/2 cup of sugar. Feel free to reduce the sweetener to taste, leave it out, or use your own preferred sweetener.

Note: If you prefer, you can blanch the vegetables in boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes to take the edge off the crunchiness (especially for the cauliflower (that's why I suggest cutting it real small).

1 lb chopped broccoli (0.45 kg)
1 lb chopped cauliflower (0.45 kg)
(chopped into very small chunks)
1/2 lb bacon, fried and crumbled (0.2 kg)
(about 7 slices)
2 cups grated Smoked Gouda, OR (500 mL)
Cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup mayonnaise (250 mL)
1 cup sour cream (250 mL)
Liquid sweetener (sucralose or stevia) to equal 1/2 cup sugar (125 mL)
1/2 tsp salt, OR to taste (2 mL)

In large salad bowl or trifle bowl, combine broccoli, cauliflower, bacon and 11/2 cups (375 mL) Smoked Gouda or Cheddar cheese. In medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, liquid sweetener and salt. Stir the creamy mixture into the broccoli salad. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Cover the salad bowl with plastic wrap and chill before serving.

Variations: Leave out the cauliflower and use only broccoli. Add some chopped or sliced red onions. Replace the cauliflower with diced cooked chicken. Maybe add in some chopped, hard boiled eggs.

samanya, Nov 27, 6:25am
x1
That explains why the Raddichio I grew was bitter, cos I treated it like lettuce. It was an unknown vegetable to me at the time & it wasn't pleasant. Might give it another go in autumn.

ruby19, Nov 27, 7:13am
x1
500 g pumpkin, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 clove garlic, crushed
salt and pepper
1 roasted red pepper sliced
250 g feta cubed
1 red onion chopped
1/2 cup basil leaves finely shredded
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds toasted

DRESSING1 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon liquid honey
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
salt and pepper

Method

Preheat oven to 200 C.Place the pumpkin in a roasting dish and drizzle with the oil, cinnamon, garlic, and pepper, then roast in a for about 20 25 minutes until cooked,( try to keep it still firm but cooked.) If you haven`t already roasted the pepper pop into the oven at the same time. Cool. Place the cooked pumpkin into a salad bowl and toss through the other ingredients then add the dressing.To make the dressing mix all ingredients in a screw top jar and shake to combine.You can add less of the pumpkin seeds as liked, my partner is not such a fan of them. And I find perhaps the dressing makes quite a large amount just add what again is liked. I usually add to make and then adjust when serving as sometimes the pumpkin absorbs some of the dressing. It aways can be used on other dishes. Have used the cumin and garlic flavoured feta in this recipe and that works well too.

I can vouch also for the orzo feta spinach and pinenut salad, have made it many times.

molly37, Nov 27, 7:25am
x1
Absolutely cant have the same. lol. I also brown off my pinenuts first, doesnt say that in the recipe.

timetable, Nov 27, 7:57am
x1
nigella has some lovely salads - check on line. and i always do her wild rice salad - its lovely!

mooshiesmum, Nov 27, 9:47am
x1
The revive cookbooks have delicious salads in them :-)