Why did fruit rise to the top of jam jars?

libby51, Apr 30, 5:52am
I've just made some feijoa jam, which has set and tastes yummy, but in the two bigger jars the fruit has risen to the top and the bottom 2cm is jelly like. Not a big problem, just wondered why?

beaker59, Apr 30, 6:29am
Because the syrup has a higher sugar content than the fruit which may also hold a little air thus the fruit has a lower specific gravity than the syrup and the fruit floats :) simple really.

libby51, May 1, 12:21am
Gosh! That's fascinating! Maybe if I use a little less sugar it will combine better? It was the first jar I filled with separated the most. Maybe I put more "syrup" in! Thanks.

annie.nz, May 2, 9:37am
x2
It helps if you let the jam cool down a little and begin to thicken a bit before bottling it. When I do marmalade, I stand over the pot for a few mins after taking it off the heat, until a bit of peel I push under the surface, stays down instead of rising to the top.

This means it is setting, and the thickening pectin network will trap the fruit in place if it is bottled at this stage - so no floaters.

[And putting less sugar in won't make a difference - the jam doesn't set until enough water has boiled off to concentrate the sugar to the stage where it will set. Less sugar means it boils longer, till the extra water has boiled off, and the same concentration is reached. ]

guest, May 7, 2:54am
My feijoa jam has done exactly the same - fruit floating to top. I've out the jars on their sides to cool (sealed of course) and hope that might help?