livinginsin, Jan 1, 12:33am
Mmmm these easy and delcious

ZUCHINNI AND BACON FRITTERS

1 tbsp olive oil
1 small finely chopped onion
2 rashers bacon diced
1 clove crushed and chopped garlic
1 egg
1 tbsp chopped herbs (parsley, thyme or dill)
2 grated corgettes
Salt and Pepper
½ cup self raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
2 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp butter

Heat first measure of oil in a pan and sauté garlic, onion, and bacon. Set aside to cool. In a large bowl combine egg, herbs, zucchini, S&P and bacon mixture. Pour over sifted flour and baking powder, mix well.
Heat oil and butter until bubbly, fry tablespoons 2 minutes each side.
Serve with sweet chilli sauce, lemon juice and avocado chunks to make a salsa.

rai5, Jan 2, 8:41am
Roasted they are yummy. I have other vegetables as well, so cut them into smaller pieces and keep the zucchini pieces bigger as they cook quicker.

Make salad with carrots, nuts and herbs and balsamic dressing. I prefer it chopped rather than grated for this.

Self Crusting Quiche with bacon etc. I also do this with silver beet or both depending on how much I have of each, or want to use up.

Baked tea Loaf which can be sliced and buttered or not. I grate it for this. Goes nice with some cinnamon spice.

bev00, Jan 2, 10:28am
Zucchini pesto fritters
from The Best of Annabel Langbein use four medium zucchinis and taste delicious.

Ingredients
1.5c self-raising flour
3 eggs
1t salt
freshly ground pepper
3/4c soda water
4 grated zucchinis/courgettes
1/3c parmesan cheese
2T basil pesto

Method
1. Mix together flour, eggs, salt, pepper and soda water until smooth.
2. Stir in grated zucchinis, Parmesan and basil pesto.
3. Stand for 10 minutes.
4. Cook spoonfuls in 1/2cm hot oil in a pan over medium heat until golden on each side.
5. Serve with salsa and sliced avocado.

Makes about 2 dozen.

Quotetoadfish (1719 ) 9:54 pm, Sun 30 Dec #21
ZUCCHINI, FETA AND MINT FRITTERS

From the Free Range Cook book by Annabel Langbein

1 1/2 cups plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 cup soda water or water, chilled
1 tsp salt
ground black pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped basil
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
2 medium zucchini grated (about 300 g)
1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp finely chopped spring onions (green party only)
1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
150 g finely crumbled feta
2-3 tbsp neutral oil or spray oil

To make the fritter base batter, combine the flour, baking powder, eggs, soda water or water, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl , beating to make a smooth batter. Cover and stand for 15 minutes or for up to 4 hours in the fridge. The base batter can be flavored with different ingredients (ie zucchini/mint/feta, Corn fritters, herb fritters with smoked salmon etc). Stir chopped herbs and lemon zest into the batter.

Grate 2 medium zucchini onto a clean teatowel, gather up and twist to squeeze out the moisture. Place zucchini in abowl and stir in finely grated lemon zest, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2tbsp finely chopped spring onions, 1/4 cup finely chopped mint, and 150 g finely crumbled feta. Stir into the rested fritter batter.

Heat a heavy frypan over medium heat and coat or lightly spray with oil. Drop small spoonfuls of mixture into the hot pan and cook until bubbles form in the mixture, then turn to cook the other side. Fritters are cooked when they bounce back when pressed gently. Lightly re-oil pan in between batches.

Quotetoadfish (1719 ) 9:55 pm, Sun 30 Dec #22
Tuscan Zucchini Soup

1kg small green zucchini
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
30-40 basil leaves, chopped
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
50g parmesan, finely grated

Cut zucchini lengthways into quarters then into 1cm dice. Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add zucchini, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until zucchini has softened. Remove 1/3 cup zucchini and reserve for garnishing soup. Add stock to remaining zucchini and simmer over medium heat for 8 minutes or until zucchini is soft and transparent. Purée in batches in a food processor until smooth then return to saucepan. Adjust seasoning to taste. If not serving at once, cool, cover and chill. To serve, stir in parsley and parmesan and bring to just below a simmer. Ladle into 6 warm bowls and top with a spoonful of reserved zucchini. Serve immediately

Quotetoadfish (1719 ) 9:55 pm, Sun 30 Dec #23
Zucchini fritters with tomato & feta salsa

3 medium zucchini, grated
½ red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 large red chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
125g self-raising flour
2 large eggs
4 Tbsp olive oil, for frying
125g cherry tomatoes, quartered
100g feta, cubed
handful fresh mint leaves
juice of ½ a lemon

Mix the zucchini, onion, chilli, cumin, flour and eggs together and season to taste.
Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a non-stick frying pan and drop in heaped tablespoons of batter. Cook, in batches, for 2-3 minutes each side, or until golden and cooked through.
Mix tomatoes, feta, mint and lemon juice and serve on top of the warm fritters.

Quotetoadfish (1719 ) 9:56 pm, Sun 30 Dec #24

red45, Jan 2, 7:32pm
Chocolate and Raspberry Brownies
Ingredients
1 ½ c frozen or fresh raspberries
1 c sugar
1 ½ c softened (not melted) coconut oil
4 eggs
2 t baking powder
1 c cocoa powder
½ c coconut flour
2 courgettes/zucchini (1 c firmly packed), grated
200 g chocolate pieces, (dark 70-80% is best)
Method

Preheat the oven to 170°C fan bake
Place the raspberries into a small pot and simmer on low until they are mushed up, set aside.
Place the coconut oil and sugar into a food mixer and beat until smooth.
Mix together the cocoa powder, coconut flour and baking powder and spoon it into the liquids alternating by adding one egg at a time. Continue to beat.
Stir through the courgettes.
Pour the raspberries on top and gently fold a couple of times. Do not over mix.
Place into a 20cm round springform pan and place the chocolate pieces on top.
Bake for 40 mins .
Remove from oven and cool completely in the tray. When the tray is cool to touch, place the brownie into the fridge to set for several hours.
Cut into small fingers or triangles to serve

red45, Jan 2, 7:34pm
Zucchini Pickle
1 kg zucchini
4 large onions
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1/2 cup salt
2 cup sugar
2.5 cups white vinegar
1 cup water
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons celery seed

Chop unpeeled zucchini finely. Peel and chop the onions. Remove the seeds from the peppers and chop the flesh. Combine the vegetables in a large bowl. Sprinkle the salt over the surface and cover with water. Leave for 2 hours (I tend to leave overnight). Drain. Rinse thoroughly with cold water and drain again.

In a preserving pan boil the sugar, vinegar, water, turmeric and celery seed for 3 minutes. Add the vegetables and cook for 15 minutes. Spoon into hot dry jars and seal.

red45, Jan 2, 9:08pm
http://tinyurl.com/mxu2tej
Loads of links to recipes featuring zucchini noodles, a low carb alternative to pasta. If you don't have a spiraliser for making noodles, the easiest alternative is to lie a coarse grater sideways on a board and grate zucchini lengthwise. Other options are to julienne them lengthwise.

The recipe I use often in my small bench top oven is to bake a small piece of salmon drizzled with lemon and on the same tray I have a couple of lengthwise halved zucchini brushed with olive oil topped with sliced tomato and sprinkled with Parmesan

irenew, Jan 4, 12:51am
Sounds yum, though am wondering what Labna is?

irenew, Jan 4, 12:51am
Don't forget the humble stir fry too. I use my glut to boost stir fries. So tasty!

kirmag, Jan 4, 1:19am
yep or grated and added to mjnce for lasagne, patties, spag bol, nacho mix. any mince mix really in it goes here haha.

davidt4, Jan 4, 2:04am
Labna is strained yoghurt. To make it, line a big sieve with muslin or a new Chux cloth, place on top of a large bowl, pour in 500 ml of plain unsweetened unthickened yoghurt mixed with 1 tsp salt, leave in the fridge to drain for at least 6 hours, up to 24 hours. The thick substance left in the sieve is labna and the liquid in the bowl is whey, which can be used in bread or other baking, made into a soup, or sprinkled on the garden to boost nitrogen.

kay34, Jan 4, 3:01am
Super easy, and great on the BBQ

Chunky cuts of zuchini, and fresh asparagus, drizzled in olive oil, seasoned with s&p, dash of sweet chilli sauce if ya like it, then throw straifght onto hot plate for a few mins - so yummy (friends don't eat zuchinni - had 3 serves! )

anna95, May 22, 8:05am
This is very nice and uses 5 eggs.

thewomble1, May 23, 1:29pm
Zucchini-Pear Soup
Yield: 4 servings.
Ingredients
3 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil, or a combination
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, peeled and diced
1 medium potato, preferably high-starch (“russet” or “baking”), peeled and diced
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, or a pinch of dried thyme
Salt and black pepper (CAREFUL not too much SALT)
4 medium zucchini, trimmed and diced
2 medium ripe (but still firm) pears, peeled, cored and diced
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock, or use water (make stock weak)
Mint leaves for garnish (optional).

Method
1. Put butter, oil or combination in a large skillet over medium heat; when butter melts or oil is hot, cook carrot, onion, potato and thyme with a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Stir occasionally, adjusting heat so vegetables do not brown. When onion is softened, about 5 minutes, add zucchini and continue to cook until everything is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Add pear and cook until it has softened, about 5 minutes more. Add liquid and bring to a boil; taste and adjust seasoning. Cool mixture, then purée. Serve cold or reheat and serve hot, garnished with mint, if desired.

uli, Aug 14, 8:35am
Early spring up here in the winterless north - and my first seedlings are just coming up - I always plant the first 4 courgette plants in the first week of September (under a bit of netting cover) - so when everybody else starts planting on Labour weekend - I start harvesting:)

Then I plant the next lot in mid-November and the last lot in February.

No need to spray anything - I just compost the plants that get the mildew.

lilyfield, Aug 15, 9:20pm
Zucchini recipes in the middle of winter?

horse30, Dec 28, 8:10pm
please does anyone know of some reciepes we have them growing in the garden ? what ideas

twindizzy, Dec 28, 8:28pm
Sliced length ways, chicken stock and butter combined and brushed over

dbab, Dec 28, 8:40pm

magenta, Dec 28, 10:05pm
I have a glut of these. Growing like triffids and family have been making jokes about "courgette surprise" being a meal which has no courgettes! I have made two Alison Holst recipes Zucchini Chocolate cake and zucchini fritters. These are both from her vegetarian cookbook. Also have made frittata and stuffed courgettes using a mince stuffing. Have also made pickle. Have given them to friends and neighbours. I think I am going to have to pull some out or feed them to the cows soon!

davidt4, Dec 28, 10:14pm
Zucchini Yoghurt Dill Salad

serves 6

4 med zucchini
2 tsp salt
10 -12 spring onions, trimmed
125 ml olive oil
1 c well-drained mild yoghurt
pepper
big bunch of fresh dill, snipped

Trim zucchini, grate coarsely. Add salt, drain in colander 20 min.

Meanwhile cut green tops off spring onions and chop. Slice white parts into rounds.
Squeeze out as much liquid as possible from zucchini.

Hear oil in large pan over med - high heat, add spring onion whites and sauté 2 min. Add zucchini and toss well to coat with oil, cook 3 min. urn heat down, add spring onion greens, cover and cook 5 min or until zucchini is slightly wilted.

Cool uncovered until warm, add yoghurt, pepper, most of dill. Combine well, sprinkle with rest of dill, serve warm or cool.

davidt4, Dec 28, 10:15pm
Zucchini & Haloumi Fritters

makes 36 to serve 6

300g zucchini
4 spring onions, thinly sliced
200g haloumi, coarsely grated
1 tab coconut flour or plain wheat flour
2 eggs
1 tab chopped dill
60 ml olive oil
1 lemon cut into wedges
90g Greek yoghurt

Heat oven to 120C.

Coarsely grate zucchini, squeeze out as much liquid as possible (with hands). Mix with onion, haloumi, coconut flour, eggs and dill, season well with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in frying pan, cook heaped tsps of mixture 2 min each side until golden and firm. Drain on paper and keep warm until all cooked.

Serve with yoghurt, lemon wedges.

davidt4, Dec 28, 10:15pm
Salad of Baked Zucchini (Greek)

1 kg small zucchini
5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
salt and pepper
10 ml ev olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
½ bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped

Heat oven to 180C.

Wash zucchini and make a lengthwise cut along 80% of each, leaving an end uncut. Slide the garlic into the slits.
Arrange in a baking dish, season and add 100 ml water and 50 ml olive oil. Cover and bake 30 min. Turn over and bake a further 30 min.

Remove from oven, remove lid and cool.

Serve at room temp. with remaining oil and lemon juice whisked and poured over, parsley on top.

davidt4, Dec 28, 10:16pm
Turkish Zucchini with Labna & Walnuts

serves 2 - 4

450 g zucchini
4 tab ev olive oil
¼ tsp salt
250 g labna
3 cloves garlic crushed with ¼ tsp salt
75g chopped walnuts
1 tab mayonnaise
3 tab finely chopped dill
½ tsp mild chilli flakes

Partly peel zucchini in stripes. Trim ends, dry. Grate coarsely.

Heat 3 tab oil in a frying pan over med. heat. Add zucchini and salt, sauté 8 - 10 min until cooked and no free liquid in pan. Remove from heat and cool.

When cool stir in the labna, garlic, walnuts and mayonnaise, check seasoning, arrange on serving dish. Sprinkle dill on top.

Mix 1 tab oil with chilli flakes, drizzle over top.

davidt4, Dec 28, 10:17pm
Grilled Zucchini with pine nuts and feta

serves 4

1 tab pine nuts
2 tsp currants
2 med. zucchini, trimmed and sliced 3mm
3 baby zucchini, halved lengthwise
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon juice
3 tab ev olive oil
zest of ½ lemon, finely grated
8 mint leaves, roughly torn
50g aged feta, crumbled
pinch of sumac

Toast pine nuts in dry pan until golden. Soak currants in water 10 min, drain and pat dry.

Heat barbecue or ridged grill pan. Toss zucchini with salt, lemon juice and 2 tab of oil. Grill very briefly until grill-marked and wilted but not cooked through.

To serve toss zucchini with zest, pine nuts, currants and 1 tab oil. Arrange on platter and strew with mint, crumble feta over, dust with sumac.

davidt4, Dec 28, 10:18pm
Spanish Zucchini and Onion with Eggs (Zarangollo)

serves 4

350g zucchini, thinly sliced
350g onions, thinly sliced
6 tab olive oil
salt & pepper
8 eggs

In a large frying pan cook vegetables and oil over medium high heat until they collapse and start to brown. Turn frequently. When well coloured and tender drain, season.

Either scramble with eggs or serve fried eggs on top.