Edmonds cookbook tomato relish

lililambchops, Feb 22, 3:09am
Would someone be so kind as to put the recipe in here for me. I tried Googling and keep ending up with bizarre recipes that are not the Edmonds one.
Or if anyone has a really good tomato relish recipe, I had one with powdered mustard, but sadly have lost it.
Thanks for your help.

clair4, Feb 22, 3:27am
Edmonds Tomato Relish
1.5 kg tomatoes, blanched, skinned and quartered
4 onions, quartered
2 tables salt
2 cups brown sugar
2-1/4 cups DYCmalt vinegar
3 chillies
1 tables dry mustard
1 tables curry powder
2 tables standard plain flour
1/4 cup malt vinegar
Put tomatoes and onions into a non metallic bowl. Sprinkle with salt and leave for 12 hours. Drain off liquid formed. Put vegetables, sugar, first measure of vinegar and chilies into a preserving pan. Boil gently for 1-1/2 hours, stirring frequently. Mix mustard, curry, flour and second measure of vinegar to a smooth paste. Stir into relish. Boil for 5 minutes. Pack into sterilised jars. Makes about 4 x 350ml jars.

linette1, Feb 22, 3:29am
From Edmonds De Luxe edition 1886, I must admit i have never made this.
Tomato Relish
12 large tomatoes
4 large onions
25g (1oz) salt
500g (1lb) brown Sugar
Vinegar enough to cover
1TBsp mustard
1TBsp curry powder
2 Tbsps flour
3 chillies
Cut tomatoes and onions into 4 or more pieces. Sprinkle with salt and leave overnight. Next day, pour off liquid, put tomato and onion mixture into preserving pan with sugar andchillies. Add enough vinegar to cover. Bring to the boil, simmer 1 %1/2 hours. Mix flour, curry powder and mustard to a smooth paste with a little cold vinegar. Add to mixture and boil for 5 minutes. put into sterilized jars and seal tightly.

lililambchops, Feb 22, 3:37am
Thank you both so much.

linette1, Feb 22, 3:43am
Digby law's version.
Tomato Relish
2 kgs large ripe tomatoes peeled and sliced
750gms onions peeled and sliced
salt
12 small dried red chillies, crushed
2 cups of malt vinegar
2 &1/4 cups of brown sugar
1 TBsp curry powder
1 & 1/2 teaspoons mustard
1 TBsp flour
Layer the tomatoes and onion slices in a large bowl. Sprinkle with a little salt and let stand overnight.
Next day, drain and place the vegetables in a saucepan with the chilli peppers and 1& 1/2 cups of malt vinegar. Heat to boiling and boil for 5 minutes. Mix the sugar, curry powder, mustard and flour in a bowl, slowly stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of vinegar to make a smooth paste. Stir the paste into the vegetables. Cook slowly, stirring often, for 1 hour.
Spoon into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
Makes about 2 litres.

lodgelocum, Feb 22, 3:56am
This is the one I make, it is delicious.

dibble35, Feb 22, 6:07am
LOL 1886! I make this one as well but add a few extra chillis. The only thing I would tweek on this Edmonds recipe (other than the chillis) is slightly less vinegar than they suggest.

mike590, Feb 23, 9:43am
Yum, these sound delish! Can you tase the chilli in the relish? I'm really not a spicy fan

sailor13, Feb 24, 1:02am
I made x2 lots of linette 347 really tasty will make more.

meg94, Feb 24, 2:01am
while you have your recipe books out I wonder if anyone has a recipe foe cucumber and tomato relish please. I have dozens of recipe books but also a thumping headache :-( I too tried google but too confusing.

I do have a jolly good tomato relish recipe which can also be used as a sauce recipe simply by boiling longer and straining if anyone would like it.

bev00, Feb 24, 10:03am
tomato relish time

bev00, Feb 24, 10:05am
Green Tomato Chutney

2.2kg green tomatoes, chopped
6 large onions, peeled and chopped
1.3 kg apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 litre malt vinegar
100g salt
1 tsp white pepper
2 tsp whole cloves
2 tab black mustard seeds
2 chillies
1 kg brown sugar
500g raisins
225g lemons (whole lemons, sliced thinly)

Mix all together in a large pan and boil 2 - 3 hours until it starts to thicken. Bottle and keep at least a month before opening.

davidt4 (224

terraalba, Feb 24, 10:57am
This recipe is tried and true. It's best with those lovely outdoor tomatoes we used to have before they started making tomatoes for longevity and less tastiness but it does seem to have good proportions and works very well.

whitehead., Feb 24, 10:34pm
if your worried just cut it down to 1 or 2 chillies . its not in my mind a hot spicy relish but is very easy to make and goes down well

gayle6, Mar 16, 11:39pm
I made the classic Edmonds tomato relish last month after reading this thread. When I bottled it I thought it smelt strongly of malt vinegar but I have just tried on a roast lamb sandwich and it is DELICIOUS!

letitia, Mar 17, 2:26am
It definitely improves in flavour after it has cooled and been left for at least a day or so. I have been making this for many many years.

lythande1, Mar 17, 5:57am
3 kg tomatoes and 1/2 the sugar. makes it far nicer, not as jam tasting.

juliewn, Dec 18, 11:58pm
I make the Edmonds recipe with some changes, using white vinegar so the tomato-red colour is brighter than with malt vinegar, and I leave the skins on for extra texture and goodness.
I chop the tomatoes and onions to a chunky size so there's great texture to the relish.
I don't add flour or any other thickening ingredient - I keep simmering the relish, stirring often, until it's as thick as I want the mix to be - remembering that a mixture is usually thicker once cold.
The flavour is incredible :-)