My Xmas Pudding blew up

uli, Oct 30, 9:57pm
bump for naurus Crockpot Christmas pudding.

clair4, Oct 31, 3:59am
Bought a xmas pudding bowl from Spotlight and used the recipe inside. Was far too much for the container, so left a space at the top and was cooking fine but suddenly there was a load bang and my pudding bowl had the lid blown off and pudding everywhere.
If you do buy one of their bowls I would suggest you halve the recipe given.
Was a shame because the ingredients were not cheap.
Have kept the remains from the bowl and will try it tonight after cooking in the microwave for a short time.
Will either try it again by halving the recipe.

whitehead., Oct 31, 5:01am
you can put the pudding in a cooking bag and put that in a bowl tie the top with spreading room and dont bother about a lid on the bowl just put a lid on the pot . thats how i cook mine

maximus44, Oct 31, 6:26am
Sounds like a scene from one of the Some Mother's Do Have Em (Frank Spencer) when his steak and kidney pudding blew up and left a hole in the bottom of the saucepan. I hope your pudding tasted alright and that you manage to adjust the quantity so this doesn't happen again.

edlin, Oct 31, 6:43am
I cook mine in a basin but do not use the lid. I use the greaseproof paper tied with string method. When cooked and cooled,I pour brandy over,wrap in foil and store in the fridge.Open it once a week and add more brandy! On Christmas Day,I put it back into the basin and then I do use the lid while it reheats.Turn out onto serving dish,pour over more warmed brandy and light.

nauru, Oct 31, 7:47am
I lol when I read your post heading, sorry. I have never used one of those bowls with a lid. I just either used a ceramic or pyrex pudding bowl leaving headspace and cover with a layer of baking paper and then foil. Both folded with a pleat down the center of each to allow for expansion. I have also used the plastic pudding bowls with success too. I always cook mine in the crockpot. Anyway how did your pudding turn out clair?

trigal1, Oct 31, 8:48am
Ooh! I've not heard of that one before; how to enjoy guy fawkes and christmas together! I bet you're dis-custard with your new purchase OP

korbo, Oct 31, 8:50am
omg. I have one in the cupboard and thought I would try it this year. thanks for the headup. I got it from spotlight too.
nauru, what recipe do you use in the crockpot. sounds like me.

nauru, Oct 31, 12:02pm
This is the recipe that I use every year. It's a great recipe from Joan Bishop's Crockpot book. Tried many others but like this one the best.
100g soft breadcrumbs
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
600g mixed dried fruit
1/2 teasp ground nutmeg,
1 teasp mixed spice,
1 teasp ground cinnamon,
1/2 teasp ground ginger
100g butter
1/4 cup golden syrup
1/4 cup milk
1 teasp baking soda
2 eggs beaten
1 tablsp brandy

Preheat CP on high for 20 minutes. Grease (8 cup capacity) pudding basin. Mix together in a large bowl breadcrumbs, flour and sugar. Add dried fruit & spices, stir well. Melt butter & syrup in a pan, remove from heat and add milk and soda, stir until dissolved. Add eggs and brandy. Pour liquid ingredients into flour mixture and stir thoroughly. Pour mixture into prepared pudding basin and cover tightly with both baking paper then foil and tie with string. Put basin into CP and place on a trivet in the base. Pour 3 cups boiling water around basin. Cover with lid and cook on high for 6-8 hours. Enjoy, Merry Christmas

I also add 1 grated carrot with the dried fruit.

kaddiew, Oct 31, 6:30pm
If you followed the recipe that came with the bowl, then I would be letting Spotlight know.

gemmos, Oct 31, 9:21pm
Nauru, how long before Christmas would you make this?thanks

rarogal, Nov 1, 12:20am
I make mine in October and pop in the freezer. Freezes beautifully.

punkinthefirst, Nov 1, 3:03am
Haha. you reminded me of the Goons episode, "The Dreaded Batter Pudding Hurler of Bexhill-on-Sea". whe-
re poor old Minnie Bannister was struck down over 35 times by warm batter puddings!

nauru, Nov 1, 9:33am
Gemmos, you can make them anytime, it has been known for me to make it as close as a couple of days before Christmas if I've been busy. I made mine 3 weeks ago, only because I've had the time this year. They keep well and freeze well too. I have made them at other times of the year to eat the same day and they are always lovely.

korbo, Jul 31, 1:58am
#11. what is a cooking bag?