Pumpkin a plenty

springgrove, Jun 25, 1:24am
Ok, no don't suggest pumpkin soup, have a freezer full already. Any ideas of what else I can do with it.

springgrove, Jun 25, 6:08am
Ok Pumpkin roll sounds amazing, will give that a go. Thanks for sharing.

fifie, Jun 25, 6:14am
These are yummy.
Pam's Pumpkin Loaves (makes two)
Ingredients:
3 cups of castor sugar
1 cup salad/sunflower oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 & 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup water
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
(tsp of spices do not need to be level - up to you, but I like spicy. )
500g pumpkin, cooked and mashed
(cut pumpkin into big chunks-leave the skin on and put into a microwave proof dish with a little water and cover with gladwrap-leave a loose corner for steam to escape. Cook for 8-9 minutes-just be careful removing the wrap-its hot! ! When it is cool enough to handle, slice the skin off with a sharp paring knife).
Method:
Cream sugar and oil with electric mixer in LARGE bowl, add eggs and pumpkin, mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with the water. Grease and flour your loaf tins. When you fill them, they will be close to the top of the tin. Using a cup to get mixture into tins -gets them even. Bake at 175c for 1 & 1/2 hours. Let them stand 10 minutes before turning out. NOTE:These will rise VERY high in the tin, so don't panic. I test mine with a skewer in the middle because they sometimes need a little extra time. They freeze beautifully and they keep moist for ages too. Anyone who does not like pumpkin-just tell them it is a spice loaf- I can bet they will love it. . Recipe from Cookessentials.

whitehead., Jun 26, 8:04am
make a pumpkin pie people love them

onclemick, Jun 26, 9:10am
I would love the kumara pumpkin peanut soup recipe please if you could post it for me, sounds lovely.

245sam, Jun 26, 9:56am
Here is the soup recipe for you onclemick.

Alison Holst's KUMARA, PUMPKIN AND PEANUT SOUP
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp each of butter or peanut oil and peanut butter
½ tsp each of curry powder, crushed coriander seeds and salt
⅛-¼ tsp chilli powder
250g (9oz) each of peeled and cubed pumpkin and peeled & cubed kumara (1 fairly large) – weigh both after preparation
4 cups water
2 tsp instant chicken stock or vegetable stock for a vegetarian version

Cut the onion into quarters and peel the garlic cloves. Chop finely together in a food processor or by hand.
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the chopped onion and garlic, and cook over a low heat, stirring frequently, until the onion becomes transparent. Add the curry powder, freshly ground coriander seeds, chilli powder and salt to the onion mixture on the stove and stir over moderate heat for at least a minute. Add the vegetables to the saucepan with the water and instant stock, bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add the peanut butter. Take care not to add too much, or the peanut flavour will drown the vegetable flavours. Purée the soup in a food processor, blender or mouli, or mash it with a potato masher to get the consistency you want.
Serve soup with small, crisp, freshly made croutons or garnish with a spoonful of lightly whipped cream or unsweetened plain yoghurt, swirled on to the centre of each serving. A handful of chopped chives, spring onion leaves, parsley or coriander leaves looks attractive, too. :-))

ruby19, Jun 26, 8:56pm
This was a tasty meal
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/squash-mushroom-gorgonzola-pilaf

Or if making a pumpkin risotto, always roast a cup more of pumpkin than you need and puree it up into the stock.

sampa, Jun 26, 8:56pm
Chicken, pumpkin and kaffir lime leaves in red curry.

This is very close to the version I was first introduced to some . gosh. 14 years ago - where'd the time go? ! ?

http://www.rachelcooksthai.com/red-curry-with-pumpkin/

There is something about the amalgamation of these flavours that just *work*. I didn't have the fish sauce or the thai basil leaves (or sugar) in the original recipe that I used but I can see how they would work if you do have them. The Kaffir leaves are a 'must have' for this dish. I love it so much I went out and bought a Kaffir Lime Tree to ensure I had them fresh to hand but you can usually pick them up frozen from Asian goods stores. My original recipe came from a friend in the States and she was adamant a certain variety of pumpkin had to be used but, not having access to it down here, I've variously used what I've had to hand - always with good results.

May have to make this tonight in fact! Yum!

onclemick, Apr 29, 2:12am
Thank you 245sam sounds very nice