Cooking Pork Belly

rusty-bones, Nov 7, 7:25am
First time doing this tomorrow. Some recipes say to slice the skin and others don't. What's your ways that makes it yummy and crispy?

geldof, Nov 7, 7:53am
Score the skin (if it isn't already) Rub it with salt.
Put into a shallowish dish and add stock or water or milk and place in hot oven for about 30-40 min to get crackle going. Turn oven down (Most people say to 180, but I do 140-150) for about and hour to an hour and a half depending on size. Top up fluid as necessary.
I usually just use water. It keeps the meat beautifully moist and gives you a great basic stock to make gravy with.
i

rusty-bones, Nov 7, 7:57am
Thanks for that, sounds perfect.

wendalls, Nov 7, 8:45am
You definitely have to score the skin with a very sharp knife. I'd cook it much longer if it's a decent size piece. Check out other threads on this using the search function within the last year. Chelsea Winter seems to have the most popular and basic recipe. Pretty sure you cook it 3 hours or more on low. Don't let the crackling get wet or it won't be crispy.

whitehead., Nov 7, 9:30am
a stanley knife is great for scoring skin as most knives are blunt

twindizzy, Nov 7, 6:13pm
Salt, score, salt, dry, put in fridge.

hotsooze, Jul 13, 10:57am
I highly recommend this,I've made it several times and Chelsea Winters recipe is fantastic ! Tender meat and great crackling !