Tomato relish

denise41, Feb 4, 10:30pm
Hi guys. its that time of the year again!
Has anyone got a delicious tomato relish recipe please?

pugswal, Feb 5, 4:25am
Alison Holst's "Mrs Coxheads Relish". Perfect every time. I've been making this one for a few years now and never fails. Let me know if you need the recipe.

ubuthebirman, Feb 5, 4:36am
Just made tomato relish today, Annabel Langbein recipe, nice & easy, dont have much success with the Edmonds book one.

nauru, Feb 5, 6:35am
Yes please, pugswal.

deanna14, Feb 5, 7:57am
This is the one I used last year and it is delish.

Tomato Relish

2 lb ( 1 kg ) skinned diced tomatoes
2 lb ( 1 kg ) sliced or diced Onions
3 cps ( 660 grams ) sugar
1 pint ( 600 mils ) malt vinegar
1 TLB Salt
3 TLB Mustard powder
3 TLB Cornflour

Directions:
1) Skin tomatoes by coring and cutting across the tops. Pour boiling water over them leave until cool enough to handle then skin.

2) Boil all ingredients together for approx 1 hour or until tender.

3) then thicken with the cornflour mixed with a little water to a thin paste. Stir in whilst you stir and cook a further 5 min, stirring all the time.

4) put in clean jars filling to the top and pop the hot lid on (lids soaking in boiled water). When cool tighten the lid again.

Note: I often add more mustard for more depth of flavour, but you can test taste your own brew and be the judge.

denise41, Feb 5, 9:46am
Thankyou for that recipe. sounds really good to me.Cheers.

letitia, Feb 5, 12:02pm
I'd love that recipe please. I have tried googling it with no success - except one in a foreign language.

pugswal, Feb 5, 7:30pm
x1
Mrs Coxhead's Tomato Relish
1kg ripe red tomatoes, skinned (in boiling water, then under cold tap, remove skins)
3 large onions, finely chopped
2 cups sugar
1 cup malt vinegar
1 Tbsp common salt (not iodised)
1 Tbsp mustard powder
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 Tbsp Cornflour
1/4 (quarter) cup extra malt vinegar
Cube tomatoes, add chopped onion - all to a large pot. Add the sugar, vinegar and salt. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Then boil fairly briskly for about 15 minutes, then add mustard, curry powder and cornflour mixed to a paste with the vinegar. Simmer for 5 mins more.
Fill sterilised, hot jars and top with the metal popper lids (Jam jars etc). If using jars without lids, top with melted paraffin wax when cold.
Reduce sugar by half to 1 cup if desired. You can add I green, I red pepper and celery finely chopped, if liked. I don't. Sometimes I add thick puree from my previous year's harvest or some bought tomato paste to add to the colour. Enjoy!

letitia, Feb 6, 1:02am
Thanks very much for that. I'll give it a try. if my tomatoes ever ripen this year.

nauru, Feb 6, 6:30am
Thanku for sharing pugswal, will give it a go this year.

daarhn, Feb 6, 6:51am
My toms have been in abundance since Xmaz. Only way to keep up is each week anything we havn't used in salads, pies, quiches goes into roasting pan for half dozen jars of what ever I make. This week slow roasted tomatoe apple plum spiced chutney (to die for). Last week dozen jars kasundi. Then theres the chilli tomato relishes, sweet tomato jams, tomato sauce, various asian , indian, euro, basting sauces, sundried grilled stored in oil, and my own jars of concoctions. Neighbours and friends have been blessed. The pantry is groaning and yet more ripen every few days. Even the birds are gutzing on them.

otterhound, Feb 6, 9:24pm
I have a great spicy tomato relish recipe which does not require peeling the tomatoes - very helpful if you have a glut of cherry tomatoes. ;)

el.ken, Feb 7, 11:30am
Otterhound could we please have your recipe for spicy tomato relish

leebee35, Feb 8, 8:11am
Edmonds Cook book one is brilliant. never fail. You can spice it up with extra hot curry. My sister in-law doesnt peel her tomatoes. I throw mine in boling water and the skin breaks away easy.

vomo2, Feb 9, 1:13am
I agree Edmonds book has a drop dead easy recipe. I add a clove of garlic and sometimes a spoon of Trident sweet chilli sauce.

otterhound, Feb 10, 8:10am
1.5 kg tomatoes
4 large onions
1-2 Tbl salt
Malt vinegar to cover (about 3 or 4 cups)
2 firmly packed cups brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cayenne
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp mustard powder
1 Tbl flour

Slice tomatoes and onions into a bowl. Sprinkle with salt,using enough to cover them. Cover and stand overnight.
Drain and place in saucepan with enough vinegar to just cover, and the brown sugar and cayenne. Boil 45 mins. Thicken with the combined mustard powder, curry powder and flour mixed into a paste with a little vinegar. Cook until thick - around 40 minutes. Pour into sterilized jars and seal. Makes about 6 cups.

music_note, Feb 11, 9:45am
Is the Bay of Plenty close enough to be one of your neighbours?! Sounds delish!

vonkrum, Jan 13, 8:50am
This recipe for Tomato Relish was given to me by some missionary friends and they got the recipe in India when they lived there. It is really yummy.

3kg tomatoes, 1kg onions, 1/2 cup salt, 3+1 cups vinegar (Brown), 3/4 kg sugar, 2 dessertspoons mustard (dry), 2 tablespoons Hot curry powder, 3/4 cup cornflour.
Peel and chop nions and tomatoes and place in a large plastic container. Add salt and cover well with water.
Stir to mix and allow to stand overnight.
Next day strain through colander and drain well.
Place tomatoes and opnions in large pan and add 3 cups of vinegar and bring to the boil.
Add sugar and mix well, return to the boil.
Mix curry powder, mustard and cornflour together with 1 cup of vinegar and stir into relish until it thickens.
Boil gently for 40-60 mins stirring from time to time.
Pour into sterilized jars and seal.