SCONES

Page 1 / 2
cookessentials, Jul 16, 1:50am
These are fabulous for lunch. Team with a nice thick soup if you wish.

Bacon, Egg & Mustard Scones

2 bacon rashers, finely chopped
335g self raising flour
90g butter, chopped
20g parmesan cheese, finely grated
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped finely
2 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
1 tbsp. seeded ( wholegrain) mustard
250ml milk approx.
2 tbsp. parmesan cheese finely grated, extra.

Grease a 23cm round sponge sandwich tin. Cook bacon in fry[an, stirring until crispy; drain and cool. Sift flour and rub in butter. Add bacon, eggs, cheese, chives and mustard. Stir in enough milk to make a soft, sticky dough. Turn dough onto floured surface, knead until smooth. Pat dough out to 2cm thick and cut in to 5cm rounds. Brush with a little extra milk and sprinkle with extra cheese. Bake in a hot oven ( 240c) for about 15 minutes.

cookessentials, Jul 16, 1:52am
Buttermilk Scones.
Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C/450F) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.

cookessentials, Jul 16, 2:28am
Golden Pumpkin Scones
60 g butter
55g caster sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 cup cooked, mashed pumpkin
400g self raising flour
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
80ml milk approx.

Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with electric beater until combined. Gradually beat in egg and golden syrup, transfer to a large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and half the sifted dry ingredients, then remaining dry ingredients with enough milk to mix to a soft, sticky dough. Turn dough onto floured surface and knead until smooth. Press dough out to 2cm thickness, cut into 5.5cm rounds. Place onto lightly greased baking sheet or into a 23cm round sponge sandwich cake tin and bake in a very hot oven for about 20 minutes. ( very hot is about 230-250C)

cookessentials, Jul 16, 3:57am
Cardamom & Marmalade Scones

These are delicious.

375g self raising flour
1 tsp ground cardamom
30g butter
2 tsp grated orange rind
1 tbsp. caster sugar
80ml orange marmalade
250ml milk ( approx.)

Sift flour and cardamom into a large bowl and rub in the butter. Add rind, sugar and marmalade and stir in enough milk to mix to a soft sticky dough. Turn dough on to a floured surface and knead until smooth. Press dough out to 2cm thickness and use 5cm round cutters to cut out. Place either on a lightly greased baking tray or use a 23cm square slab pan, lightly greased and place the rounds into this. Bake in a hot oven about 15 minutes. Serve with marmalade butter.

Marmalade Butter: 125g butter
1 tbsp. orange marmalade

Beat butter in a small bowl with an electric mixer until white, then stir in marmalade.

cookessentials, Jul 16, 4:09am
""We need more cheese Gromit!" Very serious cheesy scones which use way more cheese than normal for a scone mix; they will not rise quite as high as plain scones - but as you can see from the photo, they get there! Try and use a good quality mature Cheddar or any local type of strong cheese that is available. They can be made in about 20 minutes, if you have all the ingredients to hand and the oven has been pre-heated. Great for afternoon tea, picnics, buffets & packed lunches. You can also add chopped chives & herbs for a change."
Ingredients
500 g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon English mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
75 g butter
300 ml milk
200 g extra mature cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
Directions
Preheat oven to 220C
Mix all the dry ingredients together.
Rub in the butter until it remsembles crumbs.
Add 5 ounces of the grated cheese & mix well.
Add the milk and mix very quickly - do not over mix.
Mixture should be sticky and soft, if too dry, add more milk.
Place onto a floured board a knead briefly.
Roll out to about 3cms/1" thickness.
Stamp 12-14 rounds out of the dough - do NOT twist the scone cutters as it stops them from rising!

connor2003, Jul 16, 4:22am
I made these the other day and they were delicious.

Feijoa Buns

Make scone dough, roll out - spread with peanut butter and lots of peeled thinly sliced feijoas, a few sultanas and walnuts scattered over it. Roll up, slice inch thick, sprinkle with extra sugar - cook in very hot oven like scones.

pickles7, Jul 16, 4:37am
An error in one of the above recipe's ? just had a quick look .

griffo4, Jul 16, 4:38am
eliiehen there is 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper in them and they are really nice ;-))

pickles7, Jul 16, 4:39am
no, thats not it. lol.

buzzy110, Jul 16, 4:47am
Is it the lack of acknowledgement to the originator of the actual creator/author of the recipes maybe?

patsprat, Jul 16, 4:48am
When does the egg go into the cheese scones - or is it to brush on the top? Mix with the milk perhaps?

cookessentials, Jul 16, 4:51am
Of course, you can add cayenne pepper to these. This was the original recipe from the Wallace & Gromit site that I got a while ago and I Just copy and pasted it of one of the other threads I had posted it on earlier.

jaygee1962, Jul 16, 4:53am
Aged gouda goes well in scones too. I'm going to work my way through these recipes over the next week or so, hopefully pickles will have let us in on the error by then otherwise I'll let you all know :)

cookessentials, Jul 16, 4:55am
You brush the tops with the beaten egg patsprat. The recipe was from a thread we had here ages ago that I copy and pasted here so they are all together, it was missed out then.

cookessentials, Jul 16, 4:57am
Gosh no, its part of the silly, childish game. Aged gouda would be lovely. just watch the oven temp on the buttermilk ones where I have a hot oven 230C/450C. obviously it should be 230C/250C

pickles7, Jul 16, 4:58am
lol. no it is an error.
Maybe if it is not found by the poster. it is a printer's error.
AND you are right buzzy110 a little acknowledgement to the original creator, coz it's not the poster.

samsnan, Jul 16, 4:59am
Those buttermilk scones are really light. Have made them twice now and they turn out just lovely.

pickles7, Jul 16, 5:01am
no way. lol

cookessentials, Jul 16, 5:03am
Hi samsnan, yes they are lovely. They stay fresh so are nice the next day. Have not seen you here so much, hope all is well with you?

samsnan, Jul 16, 5:13am
Yes I lurk more than I post but certainly still here. I was using subos scone recipe with the egg in it but tried yours and will stick to it now. Have just got to remember to keep buttermilk in the fridge.

anna95, Jul 16, 5:23am
Is it 2 tsp baking soda rather than baking powder in the seriously cheesy scones?

buzzy110, Jul 16, 5:38am
Yes. It does appear that you have made it the right thing to do. What a pity you pull one person up about this constantly but fail to mention the lack of-thereof in this thread especially as you have made a crusade of getting people to acknowledge recipe sources.

pickles7, Jul 16, 5:38am

nfh1, Jul 16, 5:53am
Serious typo

'Rub in the butter until it remsembles crumbs.'

pickles7, Jul 16, 6:27am
I have put my bread recipe up in five threads all five have had the same trashy comments by the same two posters. I say "My recipe" now, as the texture is nowhere near the original recipe, I know, as I made the recipe I found on the net as written. We prefer a moister texture. The different textures are plain to see in the pic's.