GREATGRANNIES' SECRET CHRISTMAS CAKE.

Page 2 / 2
griffo4, Oct 13, 4:57am
Buzzy thanks for that l made a recipe that Bea put up here last year and it is the same one and it was so nice
Bea was an older lady and l haven't seen her on here lately so l hope she is still fit and well
l will have to start making my cakes l love the golden fruit cake from Alison Holst as alot of people like the light coloured cake

griffo4, Oct 13, 4:59am
Just thought l would add that Bea's recipe l used plain flour and no raising agents

buzzy110, Oct 13, 5:18am
I'll go and look for Bea's recipe. Do you think it will still be on here?

lindylambchops1, Oct 13, 7:54am
Was this Bea2's recipe?

Very Rich Boozy Fruit cake( true to title )
Put into a large Pot :--
1 lb Raisins 2 ozs chopped nuts (Pecan or )
2 ozs chopped cherries, 2 ozs chopped Prunes
8 ozs currants 4 ozs mixed peel
1 teaspn vanilla essence
2 teaspns bitters 1 table dark suger
2 teaspns mixed spice 1/2 teaspn salt
3 table spoons each of the following :-- Brandy, Rum, Cherry brandy, Port . Water .
Mix all together put on LOW HEAT for just 15 minutes , JUST TO HEAT.and stir . only has to just heat dont dare leave it.
Put in glass bowl in your fridge and leave 5 days before you make the cake
on 6 days later.
9 ozs. flour 9 ozs butter 9 ozs Demara sugar 5 eggs.
beat this all together in mixer at once, then add the fruit mixture mix well.
Bake in a well lined tin 150*c 3 - 4 hours till cooked
As stated VERY Rich and VERY Boozy.
cut very small pieces to serve. for those who like this, it is super. I Don't think it would be a great keeper, which ever way you look at it.
I have made this on request only 3 times. Quite expensive to make, and oh so very ,well, you know what . Lovely

bea2 (123 ) 2:19 pm, Fri 14 Sep #92

Angostura Bitters are, as their name suggest, a bitter or bittersweet type of spirit made from different herbs, roots and plants. Bitters are used to flavor and add a dry zest to cocktails and cooking. Because of their function as a digestive aid and appetite stimulant bitters are often used in before- and after dinner cocktails (aperitifs and digestifs).
When using bitters in cocktails it is important to be cautious as a little too much can ruin the cocktail. Generally, bitters also have a high alcohol content and should never be used in non-alcoholic drinks.
You can buy at your bottle store. never overuse it , I mean' DONT' put in that extra one for the road
I think I used a 22 or 24 cm tin. but of course I line my tins well. and I allow for that
As for storing a rich fruit cake depends on what you have in it. If you use Pineapple or raw fruit, then it should be kept in a fridge. Best to wrap it in a cotton cloth. A very rich cake takes about 4 weeks to really cool down before it is iced.

effcee1, Oct 14, 10:33pm
Hi, i now use a box instead of a tin which will get you over the metalic taste, and would'nt go back to using a tin, just google cake boxes they are available in n.z.

buzzy110, Oct 15, 2:52am
Thank you very much lindylamchops1 and thank you bea2 for posting the recipe in the first place. It looks awesome and really easy to make.

uli, Oct 27, 5:38am
bump for GREATGRANNIES' SECRET CHRISTMAS CAKE.
This might outshine the 3 ingredient ones :)

wendalls, Nov 4, 8:06pm
Just wondering Buzzy, when you say you don't like self raising flour, is it different to using plain flour and Baking powder? I have definitely noticed in the past, an unpleasant dry aftertaste in scones I used to make. I never put it down to SR flour but Maybe it was. I definitely know the taste of baking soda and detected it in our water supply that got contaminated with swimming pool overflow. (And worse. )Nobody believed me till I found the problem and proved it! Id recently added bicarbonate soda to the pool and swore I could taste it in our drinking water. I was so right!

punkinthefirst, Nov 5, 7:41am
Instead of using SR flour, those who hate the taste can use plain flour plus baking powder (1 tsp baking powder to every cup of flour) in the usual way.

wheelz, Nov 10, 9:35pm
Fruit is soaking for op's recipe!

rarogal, Nov 16, 2:37am
I'm going to try OPs also, at what stage do you add the soaked fruit please?

whitehead., Nov 16, 8:55pm
i can taste self raising flour as well its bitter

buzzy110, Jul 18, 9:17am
Well I tried the recipe posted in #31 and I can honestly say, it is not my idea of a nice Xmas cake. It isn't rich, nor is it boozy. It is edible and that is the best I can say about it. I also think that there needs to be some sort of rising agent in it. I'll have to try again. I think I'll return to the recipe that came with my baking box.

WOODEN CAKE BOX RECIPE (20cm X 19½cm)
Ingredients:
250g BUTTER
½ LEMON – Juice & Zest
250g BROWN SUGAr
70g ALMONDS – Chopped
1dsp GOLDEN SYRUP
150mls SHERRY or BRANDY
1kg MIXED FRUIT
4 EGGS – Beaten
¼tsp SALT
1Tblspn CORNFLOUR
¾ tsp MIXED SPICE
250g FLOUR
¾ tsp CINNAMON
¾ tsp BAKING POWDER
½ tsp CURRY POWDER
¾ tsp BAKING SODA

Pre-Mix:
1. Combine BUTTER, BROWN SUGAR, SOLDEN SYRUP and MIXED FRUIT in a pot
2. Combine SPICES, SALT and ALMONDS
3. Combine BRANDY or SHERRY with LEMON JUICE and ZEST
4. Measure out CORNFLOUR
5. Combine and sift FLOUR, BAKING POWDER and BAKING SODA
6. Beat eggs when required

Method:
A. Bring #1 (Fruit Mix) to the boil, stirring all the while to prevent burning
B. Add #s2 & 3 (Spices, nuts, Lemon & Alcohol) and stirring continuously, simmer for 10mins
C. Add #4(Cornflour) and mix in thoroughly
D. Remove from heat and put aside till COLD (Flour will go gluggy otherwise)
E. Take #5 and #6 (flour and eggs) and add alternately to the cooled fruit mixture
F. Pour into box which has been pre-lined with baking paper on the bottom and around the sides
G. Bake in the middle of the oven at:
• 160oC for 30mins then
• 120oC for 3½hours
• Cooking times vary depending on the oven
H. Cool in the box