Vege and gluten free ideas

krazy_kat, Jan 17, 9:03am
I have 2 people staying this week, 1 is a vegetarian and the other is gluten free. Not looking for prepackaged food as its ridiculous in price, but looking for simple, easy, yum ideas for lunches, but most important much be quick to prepare as we have very limited time for lunches.

finlight, Jan 17, 9:46am
you could make egg tarts in muffin tins or egg flan . get say 10 eggs add a splash of milk . a cup of cheese, onion , garlic, tomato , pineapple . mushroom, spinach, mix lightly , spray tins , add mixture , cook usually half an hour . just till firm . you don't have to be exact with this recipe . they will love them and you can add a salad .

krazy_kat, Jan 17, 9:57am
Thanks, do you have issues with the mixture sticking to the tin though? I've often found that even sprayed that egg dishes stick to the tin.

krazy_kat, Jan 20, 10:06am
Wow, only 1 reply? Bit disappointed that no one else commented.

davidt4, Jan 20, 7:20pm
Frittata or tortilla ( the Spanish kind) can be made well in advance and served at room temperature. Would you like recipes?

ed65, Jan 20, 8:16pm
Does your vegetarian friend eat cheese?

I make GF 'picnic pies' in muffin tins that sound similar to the egg tarts suggested above. Basically a mix of eggs, grated courgette, cheese and a cherry tomato pressed into the top. Just line each muffin hole (so that it sticks out the top) with a square of baking paper.

Also nice are courgette fritters that are about the same size as pikelets. Mix together 2 grated courgettes (squeeze out excess water first), 1 beaten egg, 1/2 cup GF self raising flour, salt/pepper, chopped spring onion and a good sized dollop of your favourite GF relish (Cotterill & Rouse make a yummy GF onion marmalade). I sometimes also add finely chopped red capsicum. Usually cook them on the BBQ but I'm sure they'd be fine cooked in a normal frying pan.

For an easy GF potato salad, use Best Foods Mayonaise (GF) to stir through the cooked spuds, chopped celery, red capsicum, salt/pepper, etc.

I make a yummy and easy curry mayonaise that would be a good dressing with spuds, kumara, broccoli, eggs, grapes, apples, etc (maybe not all mixed together though!). Fry a small finely chopped onion in 60g butter until soft. Add 2-3 teaspoons of mild curry powder and cook for 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to a small bowl and add equal measures of Best Foods Mayonaise and sour cream, plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, and salt.

GF Pasta Salad (I'm making this for tonight's dinner).
500g packet GF penne or spiral pasta
2 T olive oil
½ cup chopped onion
½ teaspoon crushed garlic
3 cups chopped tomatoes
1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
2 cups spinach leaves
salt/pepper for seasoning
Packet of feta cheese, crumbled (about 225g)

Cook GF pasta as per directions on the packet. Rinse when cooked, drain and put to one side. Fry onion and garlic in the olive oil until golden. Mix in tomatoes, mushrooms and spinach, and season. Cook 2 minutes or until the spinach has wilted and the tomatoes are heated through. Add the cooked pasta and feta and stir gently until heated through. Nice eaten warm or cold.

ruby19, Jan 20, 8:17pm
I know warm weather, but soup is always good and can be made ahead of time, and easily adapts to veg and gluten free. Re quiches etc not all veetarians like eggs. Bean nachos can be served with guacamole and sour cream. Jacket potato with filling. Sushi. Platter of salami, cheeses, gerkins, hummus,carrot & cucumber sticks, cherry toms etc with a little bread or crackers. Fruit salad and a yummy yogurt.

ed65, Jan 20, 9:14pm
Just be careful of cross-contamination when preparing food for your gluten free friend. I don't know if they're gluten free by choice or if they have coeliacs or similar. In my husband's case a single breadcrumb or dusting of wheat flour can make him really sick.

huggy5, Jan 20, 9:17pm
Fresh spring rolls. You can do them vegan, they're gluten free and so yum!

buzzy110, Jan 21, 3:50am
I have plenty of ideas but most vegetarian protein foods take time and effort. In the meantime salads go with every meal.

1. Red Cabbage and red onion salad
Finely slice red cabbage (as much as you think you want - I do enough for two days). I also use a Japanese cabbage slicer which makes short work of the task but a sharp knife is just as good.
Add ¼tspn of non iodised salt (Cerebos type) and with clean hand mix it in and then squeeze handfuls of the cabbage until it is bruised and liquid starts to appear. This takes a minute or so. Not long.
Add sliced red onion and mix in (with your hand) bruising slightly as you go.
Add some apple cider vinegar and, once again mix it all together until the cabbage turns a lovely bright red.
Put into a container, cover and chill till needed. It is yum.

2. Bean Salad
There is a KFC bean salad thread with a good recipe
This is a protein so good for the vegetarian and no gluten either.

3. Hummus
Take a cup of chickpeas. Soak overnight.
Drain the water. Put into a pot, add fresh cold water to cover. Bring to the boil. Don't salt. Cook till tender. (I cannot remember how long that takes but a couple of hours should do it)
Salt and leave to cool.
Drain.
Put the beans into a food processor. Add tahini, salt, lemon juice and olive oil. Process to a smooth paste.
You can use some of the beans in another dish if you like.

3. Lentils - There are many things you can make with lentils. After soaking they only take ½hr to cook. Pretend they are mince and whatever you do with mince you can use lentils instead.

4. Vegetables. They are cheap and plentiful at present.

5. Rice - Sushi, Paella, Risotto

Does your vegetarian friend eat seafood? If so then get a big bag of mussels. Steam and marinate in vinegar with sliced onion, celery, etc.

6. Courgettes. Slice courgette lengthwise, lightly pan fry in oil or butter (if your friend eats dairy) then grill with cheese.

7. Eggplant and Capsicum. Slice the eggplant, brush with oil and pan fry till cooked. Cut into chunks or strips. It all depends on your idea of presentation. In the meantime cut the (yellow or red) capsicum in half and grill to burn the skin. When it bubbles away from the flesh, take it out and carefully remove the skin. Slice in lengths or chunks. Mix with the cooked eggplant and marinate in vinaigrette.

8. Boiled eggs. Pre-boil a dozen or more eggs. They can be added to all sorts of salad.

sarahb5, Jan 21, 8:26am
This salad is delicious - can add feta if your vegetarian guest eats cheese

http://www.bite.co.nz/recipe/8894/Ripes-raw-energy-salad/

sarahb5, May 1, 5:11pm
In fact the Bite.co.nz website has loads of ideas - can filter for vegetarian, gluten free, vegan, etc.