What Mash for Beef Cheeks

petmacorpltd, Aug 20, 6:52am
Trying to decide what a nice mash (potato) would be to go with beef cheeks for a special occasion dinner. Can't have garlic or onion as someone can't eat those two. Thanks.

davidt4, Aug 20, 6:57am
It will depend on what flavours are in the beef, but a buttery lemon potato mash is very good with heavy casseroles. For 4 - 5 large potatoes beat in 50 g good quality butter and the juice of 2 - 3 lemons, salt and pepper.

amiri1, Aug 20, 7:21am
Fresh lemon thyme and butter is a really nice flavour with mashed potatoes (well I liked it!). If they're not keen on garlic or onions, chives might not do, but they're really nice with a bit of cheese or cream cheese! Parsley, cream cheese and cracked pepper. Lemon zest and cracked black pepper. That's about my range if it doesn't have garlic or onions sorry!

petmacorpltd, Aug 20, 11:23am
davidt that sounds good, have never put lemon in potatoes. I am doing a roast vege with yams, kumara, pumpkin etc and a green salad. The beef cheeks have juniper berries, star anise, rosemary, red wine etc - it is a lovely rich mix, so potatoes with lemon will be a lovely balance. I have some Lewis Road butter tucked away in the fridge so I will use that. Do you use a bit of rind or just juice? Thanks also amiri1.

davidt4, Aug 20, 8:26pm
Just juice. I've tried adding grated zest but it was a bit too reminiscent of lemon curd.

twindizzy, Aug 21, 1:15am
Wasabi spud mash

thewomble1, Aug 22, 10:07am
And the recipe for the beef cheeks is . please

petmacorpltd, Aug 23, 6:56am
Slow Roasted Beef Cheeks
2kg beef cheeks
1/2 c EVO
6 cloves garlic crushed
1 orange, rind and peel
10 small fresh bay leaves
3 sprigs rosemary
2 star anise
2 tsp crushed juniper berries
1/2 c reduced balsamic
2 c good red wine
2 large onions, rough chop
2 celery stalks, rough chop
2 c reduced beef stock (I use OXO cube)
s & p
Day before cooking toss beef cheeks in a little EVO and marinade with garlic, orange and all spices and herbs.
Drizzle beef cheeks with olive oil and s & p and pan fry . Deglaze pan with balsamic and red wine and reduce by half and add to the casserole.
Cook onions and celery. Season with s & p. Add to casserole. Add stock.
Recipe says to cook at 120 for 6hours. When I made then yesterday I did them at 90 overnight for about 9 hours.
Personal preference is to strain the gravy and reduce a little, I sometimes thicken if need be.
I have made this recipe so many times, it is a great winter favourite. Sometimes I cook in the slow cooker.

petmacorpltd, Aug 23, 6:58am
I did davidt's lemon mash and it was a hit. I riced the potatoes.

thewomble1, Aug 23, 1:13pm
Thank you petmacorpitd for the recipe. Must be getting old but what is EVO?

davidt4, Aug 23, 8:42pm
Extra virgin olive oil I think.

wheelmann, Aug 24, 1:47am
What about Polenta? Cook it, adding an egg, grated cheese and parsley or which ever herb you like then let it set in a cake spring tin or silicone cake pan and once set cut into portions and fry. Crispy outside and soft centre. A nice texture difference over potato too.

thewomble1, Aug 25, 6:35am
Have started the marinating ready for cooking Monday. Better results cooking in oven or slow cooker?

petmacorpltd, Aug 25, 6:44am
I really like doing it in the oven over night @ 80/90degrees. Straining it in the morning and then reheating in the thickened gravy. I did add a little Ketcap Manis as I needed the salt and sweet. Your palate will tell you what to add. I have made a shortened version and not marinated the beef for such a long time, it is still good. I am sure you will love it!

noahsdad, Aug 25, 7:28am
Came across this one…. can't wait to do it.
Where do you get juniper berries from?

piquant, Aug 25, 8:38am
I like Celeriac mash. Just cook with the spuds and mash or rice together. Yum!

petmacorpltd, Aug 26, 10:00am
Juniper berries from the spices range in the baking section. I think mine are Spice Trader.

denise41, Aug 26, 10:17am
Hi there. it all sounds yummy. where can I buy Beef Cheeks please?

thewomble1, Aug 26, 12:30pm
Cooked the beef cheeks using this recipe yesterday. The best I have tasted. Cooked for 8 hours slow cooker. Thicken the 'juices' with a little corn starch. Did not strain. Served with mashed spuds with lemon juice. A perfect match.
The marinate . do you add to the meat etc after browning and cook or throw away. I did not add.
I got the beef cheeks from Countdown. Allow around 25% wastage . trimming of fat etc.

uli, Aug 28, 1:19am
I have made a mix of potatoes (Agria) and carrots
or a mix of potatoes and celeriac
or cauliflower mash.

I always add some cream or butter, salt, pepper or chilli and some nutmeg.
A bit of lemon juice will keep the celeriac white and give a nice taste.
Also some citrus zest is nice.

uli, Aug 28, 1:21am
Both the Mad Butcher and Countdown have them cost about $9.50 at present.
Don't worry too much about "trimming" them. Whatever you do not want to eat you can discard at the table.

petmacorpltd, Nov 30, 1:55am
I add the marinade and all - that's why I strain. I love the undertones of star anise and orange in this recipe.