Quince/Pear Paste

marcs, May 21, 10:24am
My oldest loves Maggie Beers pear paste with her cheese but it is so expensive and such a small tub so she has asked me to make it. I picked up some ripe pears and also some quince and thought I would mix it together as I know she will not like just quince. Any recipes or ideas would be wonderful.

nanasee1, May 21, 6:57pm
Marcs this is the one I make every year now. I am sure you could mix the pear and quince together; I just use one fruit in my paste. I follow the general recipe and use it for plum, pear, quince and apricot.
I had 1.5 kg of quince, six small ones. I quartered them and added 1/2 c water & juice of two lemons & cooked them on high until softened. I then removed the cores & skin, much easier to do when they have softened. I put the remaining pulp into my blender then through a sieve. I measured 1 cup of sugar to one cup of pulp. I found 800ml of the mix cooked well in my 2 litre jug, about 20 minutes on high stirring regularly. It turns to a lovely ruby colour & set really quickly without additional drying in the oven. Best of all no splatters on the walls or me!

marcs, May 22, 1:04am
Thank you. Love the fact it does not have pectin. Do you add the left over liquid back into the pot with sugar? Also how long does it keep.?

nanasee1, May 22, 5:11am
Hi marcs. There is no extra liquid with my method, just the pulp once blended. When the paste is cold & set I cut it into squares & wrap each individually in baking paper. I keep it in a sealed container in the fridge & it has lasted 2 years; although it does get firmer by then. I believe it is okay to freeze it as well but I have never tried. I have never needed pectin in the pastes I've made.

marcs, Jul 19, 2:02am
A job for tomorrow. Thank you.