Loaves

Page 1 / 2
cookessentials, Apr 11, 9:57pm
Always super easy to make with heaps of fabulous combinations. Will start with a rhubarb loaf. Will add my pumpkin loaves recipe shortly.
RHUBARB LOAF
Ready in 1 hour 30 minutes, serves 10. This loaf takes longer to cook than usual because it’s a generous serve.
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 .5 cups flour
2 cups rhubarb, finely sliced
1/2 cup nuts, chopped
1 tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
Preheat the oven to 180C
Combine brown sugar and oil in a bowl, mix well until smooth.
Stir in egg, buttermilk, salt, baking soda, vanilla extract and flour. Blend until moist.
Fold in rhubarb and nuts. Turn half the batter into a greased and baking paper-lined 25 x15 x 8cm loaf pan.
Combine butter and sugar until crumbly. Sprinkle half over the batter. Add remaining batter and finish with a sprinkle of butter and sugar.
Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out dry. Cool for 30 minutes, then turn out onto rack. Cool before slicing.
If your oven is permanently on fan bake, cook at 160 C. If the top colours too much before it is cooked through, place some foil loosely on top.
This is an Annabelle White recipe.

cookessentials, Apr 11, 9:58pm
Pam's Pumpkin Loaves (makes two)
Ingredients:
3 cups of castor sugar
1 cup salad/sunflower oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 & 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup water
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
(tsp of spices do not need to be level - up to you, but I like spicy.)
500g pumpkin,cooked and mashed
(cut pumpkin into big chunks-leave the skin on and put into a microwave proof dish with a little water and cover with gladwrap-leave a loose corner for steam to escape. Cook for 8-9 minutes-just be careful removing the wrap-its hot! When it is cool enough to handle, slice the skin off with a sharp paring knife).
Method:
Cream sugar and oil with electric mixer in LARGE bowl, add eggs and pumpkin,mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with the water. Grease and flour your loaf tins. When you fill them, they will be close to the top of the tin. Using a cup to get mixture into tins -gets them even. Bake at 175c for 1 & 1/2 hours. Let them stand 10 minutes before turning out. NOTE:These will rise VERY high in the tin, so don't panic. I test mine with a skewer in the middle because they sometimes need a little extra time. They freeze beautifully and they keep moist for ages too.

245sam, Apr 11, 10:06pm
BANANA LOAF
This recipe is for a loaf but is so cake-like that it could be iced and served as a cake – it’s also good if cut into serving-sized portions, placed in dessert bowls, topped with either vanilla or chocolate custard and then warmed through in the microwave to be served as a dessert. It freezes really well too.

115g butter
1 cup sugar
1-2 eggs, beaten eggs (I always use 2 eggs)
1½ cups flour
½ tsp baking powder
4 tbsp (¼ cup) milk
1 tsp baking soda
2 bananas, mashed

Cream the butter and sugar, add the eggs and mix well. Add the flour and baking powder, and mix very briefly.
Bring the milk just to the boil (easiest done in a coffee mug in the microwave), then add in and stir the baking soda to dissolve it. Add the frothy mixture to the loaf mixture and stir it in. Lastly stir in the bananas. Put the mixture into a greased and base baking-paper lined loaf tin.
Bake at 180°C for about 1 hour. :-))

245sam, Apr 11, 10:07pm
DATE LOAF
1 cup each of dates and boiling water
1 tsp baking soda
¾ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp butter, softened
1 egg
1½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

Place the dates in a bowl, then pour the boiling water over and sprinkle the baking soda over. Cover the bowl and leave until cold (overnight is ok).
Mix the brown sugar and butter, then add the egg and beat together until thick and spongy. Add the sifted flour, baking powder and salt, alternately with the date mixture. Place in a greased loaf tin.
Bake at 180°C for about 1 hour.
Variation: For a nice mixed fruit and nut loaf add, with the dates, about ½ cup sultanas and a few chopped nuts. :-))

245sam, Apr 11, 10:11pm
I find that this recipe is a great way to use previously frozen cream cheese.

HERB AND TWO-CHEESE BREAD
250g (8oz) cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp margarine
1 tbsp sugar
2 eggs
½ cup milk
1½ cups (170g/6oz) grated tasty cheese
1 tbsp green onion slices
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
¾-1½ tsp Italian seasoning
¼ tsp salt

Beat the cream cheese, margarine and sugar in a large mixing bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. Add the eggs and milk; mix well.
In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients, then add the cheese and onions and toss them through. Add the cream cheese mixture, mixing just until moistened – the mixture will be very thick. Place the mixture into a greased and floured 22∙5cm x 12∙5cm (9”x5”) loaf pan.
Bake at 180°C for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan and allow to cool completely.
This loaf cuts best if made a day ahead. :-))

cookessentials, Apr 11, 10:11pm
Yummy, thanks 245sam. I do like a nice moist date loaf.

pony_girl, Apr 11, 10:25pm
Thank you for the recipes - very much appreicated. I'll be doing some baking today :-)

cookessentials, Apr 11, 10:41pm
You are welcome. I have a few other's to add and hopefully there will be more added over time.

cookessentials, Apr 11, 10:43pm
Courgette Loaf. great while we have so many courgettes.

1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated courgette
3 eggs, whisked
3 cups flour
1/2 teapsoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Method

Preheat oven to 150 C. Place oil and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Add courgette, eggs and combined dry ingredients. Mix until well combined.
Pour mixture into 2 x greased or lined loaf pans and bake for 1 hour or until loaves tests cooked

Courtesy of Radiolive.

lx4000, Apr 11, 11:11pm
Feijoa loaf/cake

mix 1

6-8 large feijoas
50g/2oz butter
1 cup boiling water

1 beaten egg

Mix 2

2 Cup flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 cup sugar

Boil feijoas, water and butter for 5 mins.

Cool.

Add lightly beaten egg.

Carefully stir in sifted dry ingredients.

Cook for 45-60 mins at 180c

Sultanas (boil with feijoas), walnuts can also be added.
Ice if you wish with lemon icing
Rub soft butter into icing sugar till it looks crumbly. Add lemon juice (zest too if wished) Beat for 5-10 mins with electric beater. Ice. Zest can be added on top.

lx4000, Apr 11, 11:13pm
Ginger Loaf
50g Butter
3 Tspn Golden Syrup
1/2 C Sugar
1/2 C Boiling Water

1 Egg

2 tspn Ginger
1/4 tspn BS
1/2 tspn BP
1 C Flour

Place butter, sugar, golden syrup and boiling water in a bowl and stir until melted.

Cool.

Add egg and whisk briskly.

Add dry and mix.

Place in lined loaf tin.

30 mins approx at 180

If you love ginger, add some chopped crystallized ginger.
Great with chopped apple and or sultanas also.

cookessentials, Apr 11, 11:29pm
Carrot Loaf ( Alison Holst)

For a five-cup loaf:

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup milk

1/2 cup canola oil

2 large eggs

1 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups grated raw carrot

1 1/2 cups plain flour

2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Measure the first five ingredients into a large bowl and beat with a whisk or egg beater until thoroughly blended. Mix the carrot through the beaten mixture. Sift the remaining ingredients into the bowl and mix thoroughly.

Coat the inside of a (five-cup capacity) loaf tin with non-stick spray and/or line it with a strip of baking paper. Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin, levelling off the top. Place the loaf in the preheated oven, on a rack just below middle. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.

Remove the loaf from the oven; leave to stand for 5-10 minutes. When ready to turn out, run a knife between the loaf and the tin, then carefully unmould it. Serve warm, or allow to cool completely, then ice with cream cheese icing (below) and serve as you would a cake. Store leftovers in a plastic bag in the fridge.

Cream Cheese Icing

Beat 2 Tbsp softened butter, 1/4 cup room temperature cream cheese and 1/4 tsp vanilla essence. Gradually beat in 1 to 1 1/2 cups sifted icing sugar until icing will hold its shape.

cookessentials, Apr 11, 11:36pm
Lemon Syrup Loaf

2 eggs
100g butter, melted
2 Tbsp grated lemon rind.
1 cup Caster Sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Syrup
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup Caster Sugar

Grease or line bottom of a loaf tin approx 21 x 9 cm
Pre-heat oven to 180C

In a food processor beat eggs and butter. Add lemon rind and Caster sugar and beat until creamy. Mix in flour, baking powder, salt and milk. Mix until combined.
Pour ingredients into a loaf tin and bake for 45 – 55 mins or until cooked.

Mix together the syrup ingredients. Take the loaf straight from the oven, and while the loaf is still hot pour over the syrup. Cool in the tin

245sam, Apr 11, 11:39pm
Alison Holst’s STICKY LEMON LOAF
The crunchy sweet-sour topping on this loaf makes it interesting and different.

100g butter
¾ cup sugar
grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
2 eggs
1½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup milk
¼ cup sugar

Cream the butter and the first measure of sugar. Add the finely grated lemon rind, then the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, then add alternately with the milk to the creamed mixture.
Turn into a loaf tin about 23 x 13 cm which has the bottom and two long sides lined with a sheet of
greaseproof or baking paper.
Bake at 180°C for 1 hour, or until the sides of the loaf shrink from the sides of the tin and a skewer in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
While the loaf cooks, mix the lemon juice with the second measure of sugar (but do not heat them) and sprinkle, spoon or pour this over the top of the hot loaf as soon as it comes out of the oven. Remove from the tin (by lifting the paper) and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Slice when cold. Serve buttered or plain.
NOTE: If you have a food processor make this loaf in it, chopping the lemon rind into the sugar before adding the butter, then proceed as above. :-))

1749, Apr 12, 12:43am
Can you make your own buttermilk, or is there something else that can be used instead. Your recipe sounds great.

cookessentials, Apr 12, 1:18am
Yes, add 1 tsp lemon juice to one cup of milk and leave 20-30 minutes before using. it is a great substitute. You can buy the Tararua buttermilk at most supermarkets. I use it in my scones.

samanya, Apr 12, 1:52am
cookessentials, I've made your pumpkin loaves . highly recommended.
I used a pumpkin that had broken off the vine too soon & it was quite watery & tasteless, (immature) but it worked well in your recipe, thanks.

cookessentials, Apr 12, 10:40am
That's great to hear samanya. They are great aren't they?

autumnwinds, Apr 12, 11:05am
just spotted this in an old recipe today: "substitute plain low fat yoghurt mixed 50/50 with water for buttermilk. " I have also used whey from making cheese from yoghurt as a buttermilk substitute in scones

lynja, Apr 12, 6:48pm
thanks cookessentials. Cant wait to try the rhubarb loaf with some of the rhubarb in the freezer. Do others butter their loaves before eating. I always do, but some of these seem almost cake like, but cooked in a loaf size tin.

cookessentials, Apr 12, 7:08pm
The pumpkin loaves are nice buttered but also nice without.

1749, Apr 12, 7:46pm
Thanks for that, I am going to try making the rhubarb loaf tomorrow.

mkbooks, Apr 14, 3:57am
My grandmother used to do that always, especially for making scones

richardh1969, Apr 19, 9:58pm
have heard about an apple and yoghurt loaf (low fat), but can not find one anywhere? can someone help me please.

245sam, Apr 19, 10:10pm
Have you seen this one richardh1969?
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1462636/ IMO it certainly doesn't fit in the low-fat category tho' - it has both butter and oil ! :-)) Edited to add a link to a recipe for "Apple Bread" and IMO this one does fit in the low-fat category - it has only 3 tbsp oil and no butter.

http://www.easiyo.com/easiyo-recipe-details/apple-bread.html

Hope that helps. :-))