Tomato relish recipes

shorty9, Jan 5, 8:33am
Has anybody got a yummy tomato relish recipe, I'm wantingto make some and would be interested in some other people's recipes

daarhn, Jan 5, 8:51am
My Slow Roasted Tomato Relish/Sauce/Chutney

roughly chop
2-3 kg ripe tomatoes, 1 kg brown onions, head garlic and chilli if you like a bit of heat. Or adjust amounts to amount bottles, jars, pan size etc.

Toss together in large roasting pan with half bottle olive oil and mortar pestled sea salt and pepper. Add soft brown sugar half way through.

Slow roast 4-5 hours until everything breaks down and then caramelizes. Stir every now and then to mix. The water content will evaporate and oil process will kick in as it reduces. Dark rich red.

Either use as a relish or process until sauce like and bottle hot.

I also add sultanas, capsicums, apples, fejoas or guava for something more festive and relish/ chutney like. Makes a naturally sweetened sauce as well.

I do this in bulk every season for many years. Simple, effective and ideal at BYO BarbyQs, picnics, gifts and every day use. Stir through a dip, for cold meats, cheese platters, pastries, pizza sauce.

lythande1, Jan 5, 6:31pm
3kg tomatoes
9 medium onions (couple less if big)
750ml malt vinegar
750g sugar (add last)
2 tsps mustard powder
1 tsp curry powder
1 1/2 tbsp salt

Cut onions up, tomatoes can be chopped roughly.
Cook all except sugar for a while to reduce it a bit, then add the sugar, add less if needed - taste it.

Cook a bit longer then bottle.

fluffyb, Jan 5, 7:26pm
This was my mother in law's yummy recipe and I've been making it for the last 50 years!

Put in basin: 2½ kg tomatoescut in 1/4's,4 lg chopped onions. Sprinkle over1 handful salt, cover and leave overnight.

Next day, drain off liquid.
Put all in large pot. Add 500g brown sugar, 4-6 chillies,4-5 cloves,2 chopped apples,1½ tbsp curry pow & 1½tbsp mustard mixed with cold vinegar.3/4 cover with white vinegar.
Cook 1 hr or more.

Pick out tom skins (with tongs!), cloves and chillies as cooking. (Could put chillies and cloves in muslin bag if you wish)

I always seal in jarsto prevent shrinkage, using agee seals or wax.

petal1955, Jan 6, 5:58am
TOMATO RELISH
3kg tomatoes
12 large onions
1/3 litre malt vinegar
500g white sugar
3 tablespoons salt
1.5 tablespoons curry powder
3 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons dry mustard
Core and cut tomatoes and onions finely, add ½ the vinegar and boil for 1 hour. Mix together sugar, salt, curry powder, flour, mustard and remaining vinegar and add to pot. Boil for another hour.
When starting to look syrupy and slightly thickened, it is ready to bottle.
-