Help Please Ladies! Need Easy Yummy Salads

dk33, Jan 4, 6:35am
Just wondering why you only want recipes from ladies!

unknowndisorder, Jan 4, 6:40am
Lol, it is an old thread. And possibly didn't think any males would post in here.

I'm using bulgar wheat a bit these days, as now. I have discovered it, found I prefer it to couscous. So just boil up some stock (no, I just buy it, don't make my own) and add equal amount of the wheat, cover, turn off/remove from heat and let steam for about 15 minutes, then chuck whatever vegetables I want in there. (Thanks Nadia, 'Tis the one thing I have got out of one of her cookbooks) :)

mousiemousie, Jan 4, 6:57am
Baby spinach and/or rocket, orange/mandarin segments, crumbled feta, pomegranate seeds, red onion, dry roasted slivered almonds and a citrus dressing. Another nice variation is spinach, pear, blue cheese, pomegranate seeds and walnuts.

el_condo_pasa, Dec 3, 10:05am
I am Having a Barbeque, I have not problem with meat. I Just dont know how to make Yummy simple salads. Any Suggestions would be great Thank You

awoftam, Dec 3, 7:46pm
This one will go down a treat. And it is easy so give it a go. Its from Revive cafe in Auckland:

1. In a bowl combine half a cup shredded coconut, 1 cup RAW cashews, 2 teaspoons ground coriander and 1.5 tablespoons oil (use rice bran or similar, not olive, which has a flavour).

2. Pour onto oven tray and roast at 150 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes until just brown (don't burn).

3.Grate 4 carrots.

4. In a small bowl combine 1 tablespoon runny honey, half a cup of oil, 2 cloves crushed garlic, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon salt and half a cup of lemon juice.

5. When cashews are cool mix through salad with dressing and a good handful of chopped coriander.

Last time I made this it disappeared so fast I didn't get any.

el_condo_pasa, Dec 3, 7:50pm
Thank you that's awesome

awoftam, Dec 3, 7:52pm
Here's another:

1.Mix a cupful of mung bean sprouts with a large handful of rocket, one cubed avocado,a handful of roughly chopped almonds, and a handful of chopped herbs mint and coriander are great.

2.Mix extra virgin olive oil, salt, one clove of crushed garlic and apple cider vinegar together and mix gently through salad just before serving.

You can easily double or triple this to help feed a crowd.

motorbo, Dec 3, 8:10pm
you cant go wrong with salads.want hot veges! roast chopped red peppers, red onion, kumara, mushrooms, garlic, pumpkin, courgettes, potatoes, roast till well done, toss balsamic and olive oil through, sprinkle pumpkin seeds, baby spinach and cubed feta over top if you want to

twelve12, Dec 3, 8:14pm
Lettucey stuff (I like the little bags of small greens, but whatever you like is fine).
Pear (tossed in lemon juice to stop it browning)
Grated cheese
Walnut chunks.

Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and a bit more lemon juice. Salt n pepper.
-
Parsley salads are awesome. Just tomato, herbs, oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and LOTS OF PARSLEY. Good for your breath after a beery bbq.
-
Couscous salad. 1 part couscous covered with 1.5 parts boiling water (a bit of garlic or stock in there too if you like) and a pinch of salt. Cover, stir with a fork after a few mins.

Then put whatever you want in there, and drizzle with plenty of oil.

Sunflower seeds, herbs, tomato, pan-fried pumpkin, feta, grilled haloumi, whatev's.
-
And my fave, roast cubed eggplant till tender, marinate in herbs/spices, balsamic, diced onion, garlic and oil until cool. Toss with greens, tomato and plenty of feta.

awoftam, Dec 3, 9:16pm
Ohhhh yea that's yum. Meal in itself. Roasted brocolli and cauli in a good olive oil with a garlic and a good pinch of flaky salt is magic too.

cookessentials, Dec 3, 10:14pm
Pretty sure we had someone asking the same thing a few days ago and there was a thread with some great ideas.

deanna14, Dec 4, 7:35am
The Russians always served a very simple Cucumber and Tomato Salad, you can use tiny tomatoes cut to bite size or big tomatoes cut the same.Also cucumber cut to bite size.Mix and arrange in serving bowl and a little while before serving stir creamy sour cream and pour over and decorate with spring onions and or cracked pepper. Simple but delicious.

spider47, Dec 4, 8:23am
Easy, cheap and very tasty:
Can of corn kernels, can of peas or green beans, can of 4 beans or similar.
Mix together gently.Open a can of baby beets, cut them in to quarters. Gently fold in at the last minute so it keeps its colour.Either leave plain or add a dressing of your choice. Really tasty.

sarahw2, Dec 4, 9:48am
My fav by far!
Raw broccoli washed and cut up, cooked bacon chopped into small pieces, mayo (whatever you have in the fridge), grated cheese, red onion chopped into fine bits, mix altogether! LOVE this salad:-)

harrislucinda, Dec 4, 9:21pm
thatsoundsgreatashavetotakeasaladwithmeforxmas

twelve12, Dec 4, 9:28pm
Oh. Or pickle carrots!

Carrots (and daikon if you want, I've done it with broccoli), sliced up, sprinkled with salt and mushed about until soft and pliable.

Rinse the salt off, dry, and cover in a mix of sugar, vinegar and water.

They're soooo goooood! Really refreshing on a hot day. We had them at a Vietnamese party a few weeks ago, and now our fridge is full of them :)

wheelz, Dec 4, 10:52pm
Soyou have 2 week old salad in your fridge, cos no one ate at the party.I'll pass on this one

bev00, Dec 22, 11:08am
Greek Potato, Tomato and Feta Salad

1 tab olive oil
1 - 2 potatoes, cooked and quartered
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
100 g feta, in chunks
4 olives
1 tab fresh rosemary and parsley, chopped together
Salt and pepper
Extra virgin olive oil to dress

Heat oil in a large pan, fry potatoes until crisp on all sides. Add tomatoes, feta, olives, herbs, seasoning. Cook a few minutes to warm through, dress with a little olive oil and serve warm or room temperature.

davidt4 (223223 positive feedback) 12:14 pm, Sat 21 Dec #2
Salad of Peaches, mozzarella and basil (Nigel Slater)

1 ripe peach, sliced
4 slices parma ham (prosciutto)
1 small ball mozzarella
1 handful salad leaves

dressing:

1 tsp white or tarragon wine vinegar
1 tab ev olive oil
1 tab crème fraiche
6 leaves of basil
pinch of sea salt
black pepper

Make dressing by mixing vinegar and salt, gradually beat in oil and crème fraiche to make creamy dressing, tear basil leaves and add with pepper.

Toss leaves with dressing, arrange on plates, add rest of ingredients.

davidt4 (223223 positive feedback) 12:16 pm, Sat 21 Dec #3

shameface, Dec 30, 9:06am
I think she meant that she liked them so much that she made more. Geez who stole the jam off your doughnut!

bev00, Dec 30, 9:47am
for salad days .

floralsun, Dec 30, 9:50am
The vinegar would pickle the carrots - then no different to using any other pickle.