Cinnamon or spicy biscuit receipe

irenestar, Apr 28, 10:34pm
Cannot think of the name, been googling, but I still cannot find anything. It's a german or dutch and its kind of like phffhasen or something crikey I have no idea. Definately starts with a p though? Any ideas anyone? ?

hezwez, Apr 28, 10:54pm
Pferrernusse
3 eggs
230gm powdered sugar (I guess caster)
2 cups flour
half teaspoon each of baking soda and cinnamon and quarter teasp each of nutmeg salt and cloves.
1 lemon, juice and rind.
Beat eggs well, gradually add sugar, lemon juice and grated rind. Sift flour and add salt, soda and spices. Sift again and add to egg and sugar mixture. Beat to form smooth, medium, soft dough. Chill in fridge for several hours. Roll out on floured board into long, finger shaped sticks. Cut into small marble sized pieces and bake on greased baking sheets in hot oven (200) until they turn a light, golden brown.
Edited for typo and to add that this is from the book Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking

245sam, Apr 28, 11:02pm
hezwez wrote:
Pferrernusse
230gm powdered sugar (I guess caster)

My guess would be that powdered sugar = icing sugar. :-))

hezwez, Apr 28, 11:06pm
Thanks Sam! Duh to me. I have edited it, am certain you're right.

elliehen, Apr 28, 11:15pm
Isn't it Pfeffernusse? ... like Gingernut? And take away that Duh!

elliehen, Apr 28, 11:20pm
Pfeffernusse translates as 'pepper nuts'. Here's a link for info and recipes:
http://en. wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfeffern%C3%BCsse

hezwez, Apr 28, 11:22pm
OK elliehen, you're right! ~ Have you got the same cookbook? ;-) Definitely pfeffernusse, try saying it with a mouth of powdered sugar ~ and the duh and the blonde moments stay!

elliehen, Apr 28, 11:47pm
I think the authentic recipe has ground nuts in it. Poster #1 -put 'pfeffernusse' into google and you will get lots of recipes. I've eaten pfeffernusse but haven't baked them.

And I can see that your spelling, hezwez, was a typo, because r is just above f. Blame the qwertyyuiop keyboard, not arranged for typing German ;)

cookessentials, Apr 29, 12:41am
These are my all time favourites and i use the traditional "windmill mould" for mine
SPECULAAS
250g butter
1½ cups brown sugar
5 tsp spice mix (see below)
4 tsp baking powder (yes, 4! )
3 cups flour
1 egg white

Spice mix
This will make more spice than you need for the speculaas recipe. It can be stored in an airtight container for later use.

3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves
½ tsp ground white pepper
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp cardamom

Cream the butter and sugar until pale
yellow.

Add spices and baking powder. Mix in flour to form a firm dough. Knead till smooth and firm, then roll out to a 4mm thickness and cut into biscuit shapes or use a traditional speculaas biscuit ‘press’.

Brush with egg white mixed with a little water and bake at 180ºC for 12 minutes.

irenestar, Apr 30, 9:56am
Thanks all - that is fantastic, and much appreciated.

unknowndisorder, Apr 30, 10:55pm
A recipe I have for speculaas spices is:
30g cinnamon
5g ground aniseed
10g ground cloves
5g pepper
Mix together & store in jar.

Also, a different recipe for Pepernoten (Dutch) is:
50g butter
1/2C brown sugar
1/2C white sugar
1C self raising flour
2-3/4t speculaas spices
1T milk
Cream butter & sugar. Add spices. Add flour & milk. Make little marble sized balls.
Bake for about 10-15 minutes at 160C
Makes about 50.

Used to be able to buy speculaas spices in Dutch shops, but not sure if you still can.

cookessentials, May 5, 10:04pm
Bumping up for the spice mix

greerg, May 6, 4:00am
I have never seen a mould for speculaas biscuits but would love one. My mother always used to have them and they are one of my daughter's treasured memories of a grandmother she was very close to. I'd love to make her some if anyone (cookessentials? ) can ppoint me toward a mould please?

pollyh, May 6, 4:10am
Help, am feeling very uninspired - havea fairly decent amount of roast chicken left over - more than enough to feed the 4 of us - but don't feel like a repeat performance of last nights roast. Any ideas for what I could do with it to feed hubby, myself, Miss 8 & Miss 6? ?

pollyh, May 6, 4:11am
Duh! ! just realised I put this in the wrong thread - see told you I was uninspired! !

greerg, May 6, 4:11am
Oops had looked on your website Pam but under speculaas with an s. have found it now thanks.

cookessentials, May 8, 7:48am
They are quite beautiful, they are a resin and wooden composite and taken off actual 16th century moulds. The windmill one is a traditional speculaa shaped mould.

deus701, May 8, 3:00pm
Thats interesting. . my recipe doesn't have white pepper or ginger. And uses potassium bicarb & ammonium bicarb (not sure if anyone wants to use this recipe nowadays).

Here's another interesting biscuit. . Springerle. It looks like it has a white icing on top but it's not. Pretty cool imo.

160g eggs, 20g Kirsch concentrate, 400g icing sugar, 450g medium flour, 80g cornflour, 2. 5g Ammonium Bicarbonate, 20g Milk, 5g Aniseed powder.

1. ) Lightly warm eggs, kirsch, icing sugar and whisk until thick & creamy.
2. ) Sift dry imgredients & combine with creamed mixture. Add dissolved ammonium in milk & knead lightly.
3. ) Rest 30mins before rolling out to 1cm. Press into Springerle moulds if available and place cookies on silpats which has been sprinkled with aniseed.
4. ) Rest overnight (12hours) before baking at 180 degrees.

lilyfield, Apr 15, 10:55am
Spekulaas and Pfeffernüsse are two totally different things. The first is Dutch the second German. . Spekulaas are rolled out or put into a mould, Pfeffernüsseare always rolled into balls and have as the name implies actually pepper in them.