Worcester sauce

iamkat, Mar 29, 2:30am
Does anyone have a recipe for worcester sauce made with apples - or any similar recipes for a savoury sauce made with apples - I have been given a truck load of apples and have done all the sweet options

lythande1, Mar 29, 3:17am
It's a thin, spicy, dark-brown fermented sauce made from a variety of ingredients including anchovies, shallots, garlic, soy sauce, tamarind, salt and vinegar, which is then left to age in barrels.

No apples.

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large sweet onions, roughly chopped
1/2 cup tamarind paste
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons minced ginger
2 jalapenos, seeds removed and minced
1/4 cup chopped canned anchovies
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 whole cloves
2 tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1 cup molasses
3 cups white vinegar
1 cup dark beer
1/2 cup orange juice
2 cups water
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 lime, thinly sliced

Preparation:
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and saute the chopped sweet onion until soft, about 7 minutes. Add the tamarind paste, garlic, ginger, and jalapenos. Cook over medium-low heat for another 5 minutes. Add anchovies, tomato paste, cloves, pepper, corn syrup, molasses, white vinegar, dark beer, orange juice, water, lemon, and lime. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 3 hours until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.

sarahb5, Mar 29, 3:30am
It's actually called Worcestershire sauce

iamkat, Mar 29, 3:56am
My sincere apologies

lurtz, Mar 29, 4:15am
iamkat, either name is acceptable:-) Although the the original Lea and Perrins is known asWorcestershire, Wikipediaacknowledge that is also called Worcester. In fact it seems that there are other, generic sauces,called Worcester.

You were asking for a recipe which included apples, so I assume you were referring to one of the generic recipes which include apples. I hope someone else can help you. I have a Worcester Sauce recipe from my long departed great uncle, however, like the L&P recipe, it doesn't have apples in it. Good luck!

iamkat, Mar 29, 4:54am
Thanks Lurtz - I remember trying one years ago that was made with apples and it was amazing but I was young and shy so didnt ask for a recipe but I'm on a preserving roll so I'm up for all recipes - especially those with apples in and since I have got the "Worsta-sauce-I-ever-trie-
d" idea in my brain I will make one of the recipes regardless of the apple content -

lurtz, Mar 29, 5:41am
All the best iamkat. Regardless of the name or ingredients, it sounds as though the saucehas a very special place in your memories.

Do you remember where you tasted this sauce!

If not, and if you enjoy preserving, then maybe you could experiment with apples, and flavours you remember,and concoct your own version.

elliehen, Mar 29, 5:47am
pickles7's famous sauce.She might even come along and give you some tips.

rainrain1, Mar 29, 7:22pm
also known as Worcester sauce

elliehen, Mar 29, 10:56pm
sarahb5 is a UK girl.she might like to hear the names of her shires pronounced in full ;-)

Some Kiwis object to abbreviations like Dunners (Dunedin) and Hammy (Hamilton) and Palmy (Palmerston North).

rainrain1, Mar 29, 11:55pm
Are you smacking my fingers!I do know she is UK, so was my great grandfather who had a pickle and sauce factory in ChCh, and who made the black stuff, he called it Worcestershire Sauce

elliehen, Mar 30, 12:21am
I'm opposed to corporal punishment ;-)

That's a nice piece of family history. Do you know what name he marketed his pickles and sauces under!

niffer13, Mar 30, 12:23am
Edmonds Cook book 40+ years old
WORCHESTERSHIRE SAUCE.
3 onions
2lbs Brown Sugar
2 tablespoonss Ground ginger
4 tablespoons salt
1 orange chopped roughly skin as well
1 gallon vinegar
3lb apples
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablspoons cloves
Put all ingred into large saucepan Boil slowly 3 hours. Strain & bottle. Cork when cold.
I never strained when I made it used to just mush it all up & have a nice thicker BBQ style sauce. Didn't have a kitchen whiz then but would use one now if I was making.
Very yummy added to mince & stews so maybe I better make some as I have just been given some apples.

rainrain1, Mar 30, 1:10am
Yes I do

elliehen, Mar 30, 1:14am
I guess then that it might be a closely guarded family secret ;-)

http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-MosIllu-t1-body1-d11-d32.html

This one!I'm genuinely interested in early NZ cookery.

elliehen, Mar 30, 1:22am
This was one of the more famous brands and I think was still manufacturing under the name Hayward until the latter part of the last century.

"Hayward Bros. (George C. Hayward and Joseph Robert Hayward), Malt-vinegar, Pickle, and Sauce Manufacturers, 171 Peterborough Street, Christchurch. Telephone 588; P.O. Box 163. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand. Private residences: Mr. G. C. Hayward, Kilmore Street; Mr. J. R. Hayward, Hereford Street, Linwood. This well-known firm was established in 1890 after the return of the junior partner from London, where he had spent two years in the factory of Messrs. Hayward Bros., pickle, sauce, and vinegar manufacturers. From very small beginnings the firm has made rapid progress. The factory has a floor space of over 21,000 square feet. The “Flag Brand” of pickles, sauces and vinegar is familiar throughout the length and breadth of the Colony, and occupies the front rank in the manufactures of New Zealand. Over thirty first-class awards have been gained by the firm at various exhibitions. In addition to the manufacture of all kinds of pickles and sauces Messrs Hayward Bros, make cordials, lemon squash, baking powder, etc."

elliehen, Mar 30, 4:10am
Here's an interesting reference to Maynard's in the Ashburton Guardian 1920:

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast!a=d&d=AG19200712.2.36.4&cl=&srpos=0&e=-------10--1----0dog-all And this from the Star 1907:
"The lady buying the millionth bottle of Maynard's Worcestershire Sauce will receive a Bangle made from Poseidon nuggets."

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast!a=d&d=TS19070202.2.79.7

rainrain1, Mar 30, 6:53pm
Thankyou for that, any reference to the factory and sauces, we grab with glee

elliehen, Mar 30, 10:53pm
It might be worth looking out for anything to do with the food courts at the New Zealand International Exhibition held in Hagley Park Christchurch from 1906 to 1907.I know that a commemorative recipe book was published (I had a a copy once) and it could well have had advertisements for your family sauce in it.

http://christchurchcitylibraries.com/Heritage/Exhibitions/1906/Courts/TradeCommercial/

iamkat, Apr 2, 8:22am
The edmonds one looks good as well -thanks niffer - have you tried this recipe!

Wow this thread has opened up some interesting chat