Using Red Wine

rusty-bones, Mar 29, 8:01am
in cooking, is there just one I can buy to cover all disehes, or does it need to change depending on what your cooking! I what to make the French classic chicken stew, Coq au Vin, and need a Red Wine. Im not a wine drinker so have no idea about this.

antoniab, Mar 29, 8:56am
I would usually go with a stronger, full bodied wine thats high in tannins like a Syrah/Shiraz or lots of Cab Sav too compared to say a merlot which arent left to ripen for as long so are usually softer in flavour if that makes sense (although they too can be harsh if you buy a cheap bottle).
I love wine and I know you should buy a decent one to cook with but Im usually too tight to do that and will use a $8-10 bottle and I think it still tastes great, leave the expensive stuff for drinking :)
All in all I wouldnt worry too much about it.

davidt4, Mar 29, 9:26am
Coq au Vin is originally from the Burgundy region of France, so a French or NZ Pinot Noir would be the obvious wine to use.Otherwise use a mild red wine, not too tannic.And, as antoniab advises, you need a good quality wine because the character of thewine is such an important aspect of the dish.

antoniab, Mar 29, 7:58pm
I would go by David btw, he sounds a lot more knowledgable :) I just like strong wine haha

twindizzy, Mar 29, 8:58pm
A nice Martinborough Pinot would be the go!

beaker59, Mar 29, 10:46pm
I am lucky my wife's company has drinkies every Friday there's always left overs so she collects them puts all the reds in one bottle and whites in another (that's part bottles not part glasses) then brings them home for my cooking cupboard usually have more than I need. We also are not really wine drinkers well very occasionally at least.

figjamto, Mar 30, 8:57am
As said most of the chefs suggest you buy a good quality wine.a good wine/bottle shop should advise you on this if you are not a wine drinker.just do not buy the cheapest you can find it will spoil your dish.I always look for a more expensive wine thats on special at the supermarket, for cooking and drinking

rusty-bones, Mar 30, 6:59pm
Wonderful, thanks guy's.