Tomato relish - not thick enough, can I re-do?

dibble35, Mar 20, 4:24am
x1
Made some tom relish this avo, Edmonds cookbook recipe. Last lot i did was fine, this lot nowhere near as thick. Can I remove from jars reheat and add a bit more of the flour vinegar mix to thicken it some more! I will wait till tomorrow on the off chance it sets a bit more in the jars but i'm not hopeful. TIA

greerg, Mar 20, 5:54am
Boil it for a bit then add more thickening. Mine uses cornflour not flour.

nauru, Mar 20, 6:14am
I agree with greeg. I also use cornflour for thickening

patsy3, Mar 20, 9:02am
same with me, rather than add more thinkening, I just pureed it and bottled, we have already gone through 3 jars like this. Pizza base, sauce for grilled mussels, added to tomato dishes, mousaka etc, lasagna, add 1:2 to a cheap tin of crushed toms to make a very yum tomato based sauce for winter dishes.

lythande1, Mar 20, 6:53pm
I find it's better to freeze the tomatoes first, when they thaw, squeeze out some of the excess water.
Then you don't need any thickening.

dibble35, Mar 21, 12:47am
Thanks guys, 1/2 the toms were frozen as savingup the extras till i had enough for a double batch, I just sprinkled the salt over them and onions, that got rid of a fair amount of water. I reboiled it last night, thickened with flour,mustard powder and curry powder (edmonds recipe) mixed to a paste with vinegar, I stick mixed it a bit and rebottled. Was funny i ended up with 1 salsa jar less than when i started. All but 1 of the jars popped down -faulty lid i discovered so that one will be enjoyed first. This batch is a bit spicier than the first batch 3 weeks ago, might have gone a bit overboard with the fresh chillis out of the garden.but its gooood!