Son at uni wants home baking!

artkat, Mar 23, 9:02am
What have you sent that has travelled well through the post or courier. I don't want to send a container of crumbs!

dbab, Mar 23, 8:21pm
Send him an Edmonds Cookbook

emmbee, Mar 23, 10:09pm
Years ago I sent a homemade Christmas cake to my son in London, he was most unimpressed as his "digs" was miles away from the post office where he had to pick it up and carry it home under his arm on the tube, but he really enjoyed it, and Im glad I made the effort as he passed away a few years later, "happy memories!"

elliehen, Mar 23, 10:09pm
No use if he's in a Hall of Residence ;-)

dice4, Mar 23, 10:18pm
Fudge travels well. Mum used to send my brother fudge, the uncooked kind made from a tin of condensed milk, crushed biscuits, cocoa etc.

greenforde, Mar 23, 10:19pm
Do you mean you have not sent a "Tuck Box" yet!
Choc chip biscuits
Choc rough square
Afgans
any type of slice or biscuit as long as they are in airtight containers.Would not advise cakes.
Large Choc bar.Big bag licorice alsorts.

sarahb5, Mar 23, 11:30pm
What are his favourite treats!No point sending lolly cake if he prefers anzac biscuits.I send supermarket vouchers or get Countdown to deliver - it can get very expensive posting home baking.

artkat, Mar 24, 12:46am
Ginger crunch is his favourite and he makes awesome batches of it. Mine is no where as good. He is in the halls so nowhere he can cook. He could go to my brothers but as my brother is gluten free it isn't easy doing baking there. Thanks for all the suggestions. Will do some baking this afternoon

sarahb5, Mar 24, 12:54am
Ha ha - I didn't even realise it was you asking!I have ordered pizza online and had it delivered, sent a food parcel direct from Countdown when it snowed in Wellington a couple of years ago, sent money, chocolate and scratchies as well as favourite snacks.The only problem I had with sending baking is that it is heavy so costs a lot to post.Make sure you pack your baking tightly - takeaway boxes are ideal - then wrap in bubble wrap before you put it into a postage bag.

gerry64, Mar 24, 4:14am
I used to courier my son a food parcel - he had a toastie machine in his room - used to send free range eggs for his bacon and egg toasties - had to go miles out of my way to get the free range eggs - only to find years later they were mainly used to bombard people from the top balconies

jennyfenny1, Mar 24, 5:02am
Have you tried the Wholefoods Cafe (in Takaka) version of ginger crunch! I has been posted on these boards a number of times, sometimes called oaty ginger crunch. If you can't find it let me know and ill type it up for you but it is always a winner - he would love it Im sure!

punkinthefirst, Mar 24, 5:08am
Now, there's a business opportunity for someone who lives in a University town!

sarahb5, Mar 24, 5:09am
Home baking isn't the same though if it's not your own mum's home baking - there could perhaps be an exchange system though!

sarahb5, Mar 24, 5:10am
I've got that recipe - it's nice but probably not what he expects as ginger crunch.I could get my son to drop it off for you at work tomorrow.

artkat, Mar 24, 7:51am
I saw your son the other day - recognised his name when he got his ID card. At the moment can't be bothered baking so thought I would send easter eggs, a phone top up and some passionfruit. though I don't know why i bother with the phone topup - when it comes to answering his parents he forgets how to use a phone!

elliehen, Mar 24, 9:02am
The old joke is that when the son texts "no mon no fun luv frm yr son", the reply is "2 bad 2 sad luv frm yr dad".

calista, Mar 25, 1:14am
I post my dad crunchy lemon muffins

sarahb5, Mar 25, 4:40am
Ha ha - he looks just like his dad so most of his tutors recognise him too before they even know his name!