Jam Funnel

olwen, Mar 26, 1:22am
Has anyone seen a reasonably priced jam funnel anywhere recently!

cookessentials, Mar 26, 1:27am
silicone ones are around $17.50. For stainless you will pay nearer $30. The silicone ones are great as they take the high temps.

kateley, Mar 26, 1:29am
you can get plastic ones at mitre 10 mega

propagator, Mar 26, 2:03am
What about the 'Plastic Box' .They have many interesting bit and pieces that you don't see elsewhere.

cookessentials, Mar 26, 2:19am
plastic ones are usually not good enough for the boiling temp of jam.

lilyfield, Mar 26, 2:30am
cookie-- I have had my plastic one all my life- maybe they don,t make them as they used to!

pickles7, Mar 26, 2:36am
I have used the same plastic jam funnel for years. I did have a stainless steel one that had a habit of burning my fingers. I have a larger one for bottling, that too is plastic.

bernice1, Mar 26, 2:37am
In desperation to find a decent one with a wide mouth, I cut the top off a hard plastic clear 1litre fruit juice bottle (about the same size opening as a 2 l milk bottle but much harder plastic) turned it upside down, voila.Have used it, steralised it, poured boiling jams and pickles through it many times and it is still going strong!

Edited to add very similar size and shape to the auction noted above.

whitehead., Mar 26, 2:37am
i found the plastic ones did not take the heat ive had a metal one for about 30 years its still working and i would not be with out it

cookessentials, Mar 26, 2:53am
maybe not! Most good stainless ones have a handle. I have a two in one silicone one which I love as it has two different size holes, one for thin sauces and a wider one for the jam

punkinthefirst, Mar 26, 2:56am
I skim the jam and leave it to settle for about 5 minutes, by which time it is cooler, and holds fruit pieces (e.g., strawberries,pieces of rind in marmalade) in suspension in the jar. So I use a plastic jam funnel.