Box Cake Mix

scout_6001, Mar 24, 11:35pm
I have been given some Betty Crocker boxed cake mixes, I have never used these before as I am not fussed on the flavour but would like to try them as the person who gave them to me would be hurt if they weren't used.I looked online and read how to enhance these mixes by added an instant pudding.As it was an American sight I am unsure whether the Gregg's Instant pudding would be suitable!Has anyone else tried this and does it work!Should I add extra ingredients to make them taste more like home cooking!

fifie, Mar 25, 12:27am
My understanding is instant pudding makes the cake more moist. Not sure what flavours you havei'd go for greggs vanilla flavour for plain cake, strawberry for strawberry mix, choc for choc cake etc, don't use them myself but my grandees do and make some wicked cup cakes, cakes etc.
Have a look at B/C cake ideas you might find something here.
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/dishes/cake-recipes

scout_6001, Mar 25, 1:11am
Thanks fifie.The boxed mix is chocolate so I will add a chocolate pudding mix.Thank you for the website link, I will take a look.

lucky1989, Mar 25, 4:46am
do you just add the sachet no other instructions or ingredients or is it the pudding made up!!!!

anne1955, Mar 25, 4:54am
I have a wonderful cake made with a instant pudding also a busciut recipe.

korbo, Mar 25, 6:31am
poster#4, hope someone gives you an answer, as I wouldlike to try it. too.

sarahb5, Mar 25, 8:32am
Betty Crocker's cake mixes aren't dry at all if you follow the instructions on the box properly and actually beat them for the 5 minutes or whatever it says.They are actually very nice especially once you cover them in the frosting which is usually included in the box!Most people would be hard pressed to know it was a "packet" mix rather one made from scratch.

scout_6001, Mar 25, 6:31pm
Lucky, I found this on a website, I wasn't sure either.
You add the dry pudding to the dry cake mix and then mix the rest of the ingredients as it says on the cake box.
Edited to add.apparently some cake mixes already have the pudding mix added, so would be a good idea to read what is in it.

scout_6001, Mar 25, 6:39pm
I am going to make this for Easter, so would like the cake mix to be reasonably moist like a pudding.
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22366/soft+centred+chocolate+easter+egg+puddings

barbs77, Mar 25, 8:21pm
If you are making that you dont need a cake mix

ansypansy1, Mar 25, 11:41pm
I had a wonderful recipe that used a packet orange cake and a vanilla instant pudding, but they stopped making the orange cake. I remember it needed an extra egg and extra milk. probably a few other things. Sorry I can't remember the recipe, but it certainly made a delicious cake. Maybe someone has a chocolate version they could let you have

scout_6001, Mar 26, 2:17am
Sorry Barb, yes you are right.What I mean to do is use the idea of putting the caramel cream egg into the box cake mixture.

sarahb5, Mar 26, 4:58am
It doesn't work - I did that with muffins last year - I thought the eggs would stay runny and gooey but they don't, they just melt into the mixture.As soon as it cools the egg sets quite hard.