No Oven - until the end of April . help!

moovinup, Mar 24, 3:45am
Hi there - family of 6 and have done close to 3 weeks without an oven but basically a little over it - waiting for F and P to manufacture some parts that they've run out of, so apparently I'm ovenless until end of April.Anyone got some suggestions for cakes/slices that don't need to be cooked! I have a microwave, that I'm not that fussed on doing too much baking with it - but needs must with kids & school lunches and I'm certainly not buying cakes/slices etc to put in their lunch boxes!TIA

daisyhill, Mar 24, 3:54am
Just search online for "no-cook recipes" - you'll find lots. I don't know how I'd survive without an oven but it does depend how much you normally use it.

If you do really miss the oven you could try asking around to see if anybody has a benchtop oven that they don't use. I bet there are lots of them just taking up space in people's cupboards!

petal1955, Mar 24, 5:03am
Use your slow cooker or your BBQ

autumnwinds, Mar 24, 5:22am
Get one of the small bench-top ovens - can do all sorts in them (scones, muffins, slices) and often around $15-$20 right here on TM.Also really good for mousetraps or quick snacks.

kaddiew, Mar 24, 5:27am
Do you have an electric frypan! If so google may give you some ideas. Here's one for muffins baked that way.

http://www.diminishinglucy.com/2012/02/baking-muffins-in-electric-frying-pan.html

hestia, Mar 24, 6:03am
Steaming can also be a cooking method for cakes. Look up Chinese steamed sponge cake.

moovinup, Mar 24, 7:13am
Thanks for your responses - dairy farming family, so that might give you an idea as to how much I use my oven! - ALL THE TIME, so very much missing it:) amazing how great the electic frypan is & the BBQ haven't really pulled out the crockpot but good idea too - its the baking thats the problem, same old fudge slices but one day its apricot, next its coffee, next its chocolate! . oh dear sounds like I'm complaining - does make you appreciate the great oven though for those yummy cakes! oh well back to the drawing board - thanks though and any other ideas keep them coming in :)

uli, Mar 24, 7:37am
Why don't you get a little table top oven if it is so important to you to bake.
They sell for $10 at an op shop usually.

Otherwise don't bake for a few weeks and just cook things.

maximus44, Mar 24, 8:34am
I have recently acquired a bench top oven and it is great. You can make virtually anything you usually do in the big oven - just not in the same quantities. There are only 2 of us and I wouldn't be without one now.

chatsmom, Mar 24, 8:02pm
I also love my bench top oven for baking slices & cakes. I use it heaps more than my regular oven too.

mjhdeal, Mar 24, 8:10pm
Try googling "raw food." Recipes for slices etc, for which you usually only need a food processor (hopefully you have one of those!). Usually nutbased. I have made both of these recipes below, and they are really nice & easy to make:

Like raw brownies (use walnuts): http://www.therawtarian.com/raw-brownie-recipe Or cashew bars: http://www.rawfoodrecipes.com/recipes/sunny-cashew-apricot-energy-bars.html

Good luck!

doug57, Mar 24, 8:13pm
Microwave chocolate brownie [awesome recipe!]

100gms melted butter, 2 eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tspn vanilla ess, 1/4 cup cocoa, 3/4 cup sr flour. Mix, tip into greased microwave dish [mine is approx 24 x 20cm] and cook on Hi for approx 3 mins [in 1100W High powermicrowave].cool and slice.dust with icing sugar.

top looks slightly sticky when done.I usually pop choc buttons on top as it comes out microwave in position where I plan to cut.

doug57, Mar 24, 8:18pm
You've probably made this one already!.No Bake Choc fudge slice:
1 pkt crumbed wine biscuits, 125 gms butter, 125gms sugar, 1 beaten egg, 1 Tblspn cocoa.METHOD: grease tin, in large jug melt butter, add sugar, egg, cocoa and biscuits.stir and cook on hi for a min or two.Stir . Press into tin, Refrigerate. Ice with choc icing and sprinkle with coconut.

biggles45, Mar 24, 8:31pm
I know where you're coming from, I would be lost without my oven!

Chocolate krispies - melt chocolate in double pan on hob. Stir in cornflakes (can also use rice bubbles/crispies or similar), put mix into paper cake cases and refrigerate till set. Kids love them.

Peppermint slice - 1 packet dark chocolate melts, 3 drops peppermint essence, ½ packet white chocolate melts, 4 drops green food colouring (optional)
Line 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.Melt dark chocolate melts stirring throughout melting process. Add peppermint essence and stir. Spread half the mixture evenly over bottom of tin. Set in fridge for 5 mins. Melt white chocolate melts the same way then stir in green food colouring if used. Spread this over layer of dark chocolate and then refrigerate until set. Spread remaining dark chocolate over white/ green chocolate and set in fridge. Cut into pieces and store in fridge.

Also google no-cook cheesecake.

punkinthefirst, Mar 25, 9:21pm
Google Welsh recipes.Welshcakes are delicious, spicy little currant cakes! Many of the old Welsh farm cottages apparently had no oven, so did much of their baking on Bakestones (you could use a large frying pan) over a fire. That's where the likes of pikelets and drop scones came from.

figjamto, Mar 26, 8:56am
One of my work colleagues is Welsh and makes the best Welsh cakes.just lovely.yummmmm

duckmoon, Mar 26, 9:26pm
rice bubble slice
fudge and coconut ice

brownies is the one thing I will cook in the microwave.

and I have done griddle scones in the frying pan

greerg, Mar 29, 9:36pm
My kids really liked pikelets in their lunches and they freeze really well so a big batch lasts a while. They particularly spicy ones that had a little treacle, cinnamon and mixed spice added.

elliehen, Mar 30, 12:23am
Pikelets with mashed banana added too.

vrx2evo, Mar 30, 1:19am
We survived 9 weeks without one! Without our whole kitchen actually.

We did a lot of microwaveable slices,veges etc. But the easiestwas just going to an inlaws and spending a day there baking.