Chocolate mousse cake ideas please

bisloy, Mar 27, 12:00am
Hi all. What recipes do you have for this type of thing. I don't want a cheesecake. TIA

davidt4, Mar 27, 12:05am
Here is the Ottolenghi chocolate mousse cake.I haven't made this but have eaten it and it was fabulous.

Chocolate Mousse Cake (Ottolenghi)

serves 6 - 8

240g butter, cut into small cubes
265g 52% chocolate cut in small pieces
95g 70% chocolate, cut in small pieces
290g light muscovade sugar
4 tab water
5 eggs, separated
pinch of salt
cocoa powder for dusting

Heat oven to 170C.Line a 20 cm cake tin.

Place butter and both chocolates in large heatproof bowl that will accommodate the entire mixture.Put the sugar and water in a small pan and place over medium heat to reach a boil.Stir occasionally.Pour into chocolate bowl and stir well until everything is melted and runny.

Stir in egg yolks one at a time, set aside to reach room temperature.

Whisk egg whites and salt to a firm moist foam, fold into the chocolate in three parts.

Pour two thirds of the batter into tin and level.Bake about 40 min or until a skewer comes out clean.Remove from oven and cool completely.

If top is uneven flatten with a palette knife.Pour remaining cake batter in and level.Bake 20 - 25 minutes until set but skewer comes out with moist crumbs.Cool completely.

Dust with cocoa powder to serve.Will keep at room temp. 4 days.

Variation:cook the whole cake at once.

bisloy, Mar 27, 12:09am
So, this makes a proper cake with 'icing' for want of a better word!

davidt4, Mar 27, 12:15am
It's a two layered cake with a softer layer on top.

bisloy, Mar 27, 12:16am
Very interesting. Do you think I could get away with just using one type of good quality cooking chocolate!

fourz, Mar 27, 10:49am
Make a really good mud cake recipe up something and then make homemade chocolate mousse or the sachet type and spread on top.Place in fridge for a few hours.I used to make this on a regular basis but haven't done it for years but that is all I did and it was just beautiful.Either a mud cake recipe or a really good chocolate cake recipe will do.

bisloy, Mar 27, 11:40pm
I could do that foruz and put chocolate fingers around the outside. That was sort of what I was aiming for - a base with mousse filling and choc fingers around the outside.
I like both ideas - I may have to make both!

davidt4, Mar 28, 1:30am
I think it might be better to stick to the the recipe.This kind of dessert can be temperamental, and its author does not tend to over-complicate things.I'm sure if the two kinds of chocolate were not necessary he wouldn't have specified them.

bisloy, Mar 28, 1:44am
Thanks davidt4. Will let you know how I get on!