Easter Cinnamon Pull-Apart Buns

cookessentials, Mar 28, 1:53am
Saw this recipe in the March Mindfood mag at the hair dresser this morning but could not get a copy anywhere in Masterton. Luckily, I found it on their website so I am going to make them on Easter Sunday. They looked delicious so thought I would share the recipe here for anyone so inclined.

Candied Walnuts

½ cup caster sugar

1 cup walnuts

Pull-Apart Buns

7g dry yeast

¼ cup caster sugar

¼ cup warm water

3 cups plain flour

60g unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for brushing

⅓ cup milk, warmed

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 tsp vanilla extract

¾ cup white sugar

1 tbsp ground cinnamon

300g white chocolate, chopped

1 tbsp vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 180°C. For candied walnuts, combine caster sugar and ¼ cup cold water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil and cook for 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and add walnuts. Stir to coat.

Spread nut mixture over a lightly greased baking tray lined with nonstick baking paper; cool completely. Break walnuts into pieces and set aside.

For buns, place yeast, 1 tablespoon caster sugar, and warm water in a bowl and let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy. Place flour and remaining caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook and mix until combined. Add yeast mixture, butter, and warm milk; mix to combine. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat for 2 minutes.

Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour, or until dough doubles in size. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for 2 minutes. Cover with a tea towel and let rest for 5 minutes. Roll out dough to 30cm x 50cm. Brush with butter and sprinkle with white sugar and cinnamon. Roll up dough from the long edge, then cut into rounds. Arrange rounds, slightly overlapping, into a wreath shape on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover with a tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 30-45 minutes.

If you want to see what it looks like
http://www.mindfood.com/at-easter-cinnamon-pull-apart-buns-recipe.seo

cookessentials, Mar 28, 2:03am
I actually spied their Autumn fruit terrine which I shall make at some stage when our feijoas are ready
http://www.mindfood.com/at-autumn-fruit-terrine-recipe.seo

gerry64, Mar 28, 3:04am
cookes love the fruit terrine - what could I substitute for fejois

cookessentials, Mar 28, 3:24am
Mmm, maybe quince!

autumnwinds, Mar 28, 10:05am
Didn't have walnuts, so used the basic recipe and, at the rollup stage, filled with the following:

2 finely diced firm apples
1/2 cup chopped dates
2 Tabspns maple syrup
1/2 teaspn cinnamon
2 pinches nutmeg
1/2 teaspn mixed spice
a little water.

Simmered mix to soften dates and apple, cooled, then used to fill rolls, cut into rounds and made intowreath shape.

When baked, simply used a soft glace vanilla icing to drizzle over.

(Note: omitted ¾ cup white sugar and 1 tbsp ground cinnamon from the rollup stage of original recipe, and also the 300g white chocolate, chopped and 1 tbsp vegetable oil melted topping).

It was a scrumptious Autumn Easter treat - will be making another one! :)

antoniab, Mar 28, 7:48pm
Yum sounds delish! Wish there was more than just me at home this weekend as Im sure these are best enjoyed straight out of the oven! :)

elliehen, Mar 28, 10:07pm
"2 finely diced firm apples
1/2 cup chopped dates
2 Tabspns maple syrup
1/2 teaspn cinnamon
2 pinches nutmeg
1/2 teaspn mixed spice
a little water.

Simmered mix to soften dates and apple, cooled, then used to fill rolls, cut into rounds and made into wreath shape."

This filling from autumnwinds' recipe would be good for the plain scone dough of cinnamon scrolls.

cookessentials, Mar 29, 7:24am
Makes an interesting change to the original. I am going to make ine on Sunday.

sit1, Mar 30, 3:46am
We made these and they were delicious, my fussy eater even ate them and declared them delicious. we added Choc chips to the cinnamon and sugar just to make them fun for kids, We are going to try again with custard and apples. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

cookessentials, Mar 30, 5:25am
You are very welcome. Always nice when home made aren't they! autumnwinds, looks delicious.