WANTED: Fresh Apples - Monty's Surprise

shop-a-holic, Mar 19, 9:18am
I’ve been researching this cultivar a wee while now.I have placed it on my list of ‘possible NZ bred exotics’ list whilst I plan my garden.

I would be ever so grateful, if anyone here has this tree already and willing to sell me a few apples from their tree for me to taste this season.I would really like to have enough to make a pie as well.I live in Wellington, if this helps when adding freight costs to your listing.

Thank you so very much (posting in GARDENING & DIY as well).

cookessentials, Mar 19, 5:30pm
x1
I have two LARGE ones given to me by a relative in Marton on the weekend. Also had some stewed while we were there. If you like something that is a little tart, then you will love these. Do you know they were found growing by the roadside in Wanganui! We will be getting at lest one-two of these beauties for the garden.

makespacenow, Mar 19, 6:25pm
I only plated my one couple of years ago but WOW the apples are huge! Only got ten left so not worth posting but if you plant your tree this autumn you should have a handful of your own apples next season.

shop-a-holic, Mar 19, 7:25pm
When we decided to re-landscape our property, the decision to replace our natives with exotics was quite an easy one.After visiting some formal gardens in Marlborough the inspiration and possibilities have been over-whelming.So, I’ve narrowed it down to sports/mutations of New Zealand – bred exotics.
The health benefits far out weigh any reason not to plant Monty’s Surprise, but I’m dying to find out what it tastes like!I suspect it would be a great asset for turning into cider as well.

Similarly, Taylors Gold pear is on the list as well, found in Nelson 1986, by a Steward of the Nelson Jockey Club.
Freesia Burtonii, a sport of Refracta Alba found by Margaret Burton, also of Nelson in 1930s.I have now amassed over 400 bulbs from varies regions.
And of course, the wealth of choice of NZ bred Magnolias from the Jury family of New Plymouth.

Following the structure or brief I’ve given myself, it’s been quite an adventure discovering just how fabulous we Kiwis are in the garden.

Thank you cooks, and makespace for your comments.I’m very very grateful.

cookessentials, Mar 19, 9:04pm
I can courier you one if you want to pay the courier fee. Taylors Gold are our favourite pears and are on our list.

shop-a-holic, Mar 19, 10:52pm
Bless you!

cookessentials, Mar 19, 11:38pm
The chemical analysis of over 250 apple varieties has identified a unique New Zealand seedling - the Monty's Surprise apple. This apple contains very high levels of procyanidins as well as quercetin flavanoid compounds. In vitro cancer testing conducted in France and Australia on this variety has shown its potent effectiveness at inhibiting cancer cell proliferation. We believe that this apple is the best in the world for human health, and can be eaten as a preventative measure to reduce the incidence of disease in the human body.

cgvl, Mar 20, 2:26am
they are not ready to eat yet, well not in Wanganui. Stewing can be used a little earlier as they go to mush and I use them with rhubarb and don't need to add sugar. Eating they are ripe for picking from April and yes can be huge. I weighed one last year and it was 500g. picked too early and they are tart, later become sweeter.

cookessentials, Mar 20, 2:46am
The ones I have from Marton are ready and beautiful too!shop-a-holic, Monty has left the building LOL

keith54, Mar 20, 7:53am
the birds must also be aware of the cancer fighting properties ,as in spite of the tartness they hollow my montys surprise apples completely out ,just leave the skin hanging on the tree so I now put plastic bags over the apples.

village.green, Mar 21, 9:17am
We have a Monty tree and yes the apples are huge. One we gave to my inlaws and it weighed 450g. Very tart.

wheelz, Mar 21, 7:27pm
Monty's ready in my wanganui garden. I find them a floury apple, which my family don't like to eat raw. But they cook up nice. Good thing is, you only need a couple for a pie, they are so huge. Which often results in the fruit falling off very easily.

pickles7, Mar 23, 8:01pm
I just bought a nice " Monty's Surprise "tree half price, at the same time I bought a " Sir Prize " tree, large crisp fruit with a slight blush. That had two apples on it, they were like the old " Golden Delicious " ripe off the tree, just juicier.

dixie, Feb 10, 8:23am
Mine fall off the tree prematurely and although they are large, so too are my Peasgood Nonesuch which dont. Does anyone have any ideas why this is so?