Suggestions for alternative beans

esther-anne, Mar 17, 6:12am
in chili con carne.My family are not crazy about red kidney beans.I have a wonderful recipe I have been doing for years - posted it here once a couple of years ago-but we seem to have gone off the red kidney beans!Thanks in advance.

245sam, Mar 17, 6:27am
esther-anne, from a Google search I found, at http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index!qid=20081002043824AAyCe3m

this recommendation to use black-eye beans

"Does anyone have a good chili con carne recipe without kidney beans!

No-one in my family will eat kidney beans! We tried using Canellini beans, but although the boys slurped it up, I found they got too 'mashy' from cooking.
stormy!

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
I like to use black eye beans, they're lovely and nutty, they stay firm too."

There were other suggestions on that link, including a few who suggested using baked beans.

Hope that helps.:-))

dibble35, Mar 17, 6:28am
Those big white beans are yummy.Bertolli! beans not sure if thats right name

davidt4, Mar 17, 6:48am
There is no need to have any beans at all in Chile con Carne.I don't include any.

esther-anne, Mar 17, 8:53am
Hmm-thanks all - 245sam I wonder if those black-eyed beans are the samwas pinto beans/

And are Bertolli the same as butter beans!

Davidt4 if you don't add beans at all what do you do to lift a chilli con carne from the ordinarness of a hot stew to something special!

elliehen, Mar 17, 8:58am
esther-anne, I was told by a Texan that you can't make a good chili con carne without throwing a handful of dirt into it ;)

245sam, Mar 17, 9:39am
esther-anne, no - black eye and pinto beans are not the same. Lima beans are also known as butter beans and are different again from borlotti beans.
One of Alison Holst's books has a great section about dried beans and photos of all the different varieties but in the absence of that book, have a look at:-

http://www.usdrybeans.com/resources/varieties/ and/or http://www.tryit.sanitarium.co.nz/dried-beans/

Hope that helps.:-))

esther-anne, Mar 17, 7:14pm
Thanks again everyone.Will have a look at those sites shortly 245sam and I appreciate your going to the trouble of finding them for me.

Elliehen I rather think I might bypass the dirt - the guests might not like it!

davidt4, Mar 20, 5:15am
As many different kinds of chili as I can lay my hands on - at this time of year it's rocotos, serranos, poblanos and red capsicums.Cumin, coriander powder, oregano, cocoa, cinnamon.Lots of fresh tomatoes.If I have strong coffee left over from breakfast I will add about 1/2 c.Sometimes beer if there is any open.

I serve the chile with a fruit, lime and chili salsa, boiled kumara (instead of corn bread), grated tasty cheddar, sour cream, lettuce leaves.

uli, Mar 21, 6:06am
Hmmm - I will be around soon :)

esther-anne, Mar 21, 7:02am
Yummy-me too!

Thing is I'm doing this for about 14 people and with no real knowledge of how much chili they can tolerate I am going to be somewhat conservative.

I do thank you for your ideas davidt4-and I also put a message of appreciation in the ceviche thread.I gave a trial run to your Mexican one and it was delicious.Also tried out an authentic Fijian one from a Fijian friend and that was scrumptious too.Like the chili I don't know whether to go the more conservative Kokoda way.

Genuine thanks to everyone who has helped me with both my queries.