Rice Pudding/Creamed rice

google0, Apr 28, 3:50am
Does anyone have a tried and true scrummy yummy recipe? We love the tinned creamed rice, but for a family of 5 its getting rather expensive - so we need to make our own. Thanks :)

barloo, Apr 28, 4:17am
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=52758

harrislucinda, Apr 28, 4:22am
useshortgrainhaveyou aslowcookerbesteverdone in thatbutputwaterinbottomofpotfirstcanaddegglatertocream upevenmoreorboilrealslowon top ofstovewithmilk ofcorse

cookessentials, Apr 28, 4:22am
I make a creamy rice pudding which is as near to the tinned "Ambrosia" rice in the UK. Use a short grain rice in an ovenproof dish with a little sugar to your taste, milk and a couple of knobs of butter. Bake at a low 160C, replacing milk when required. I use a can of evaporated milk plus ordinary milk for this and it is delicious. Sometimes a little grated nutmeg on the top is nice also.

google0, Apr 28, 4:28am
Sounds nice cookessentials, do you have measurements for your recipe?

kiwiscrapper1, Apr 28, 4:38am
5 tabs short grain rice - washeduntil water is clear- 2 tabs sugar, 3 cups of milk-I used to make this when milk was in glass bottles and just poured the whole bottle in-2 to 3 drops vanilla essence- 1tsp butter- grated nutmeg. mix all together except nutmeg grate this on top of the milk bake @ 150oc for 2 hours stiring two to three times in first hour. you could add a another 1/2 cup of milk if you want it as runny as the tinned variety. its the long slow cooking and short grain rice that makes it nice and creamy. I also used to add 1tabs of grated suet but your probably too young to know what that is I now use shreddo it is sooooo creamy but fattening with this in it.

kiwiscrapper1, Apr 28, 4:40am
oh and I never used to stir it either then you get that nice brown skin on top - when we were kids we all used to argue over whos turn it was to have that. oh dear I am getting old! ! !

cookessentials, Apr 28, 4:40am
here is my Mum's recipe from the recipe section on our website, but add what ever amount of rice and extras you need if it is for more people.
Creamy Rice Pudding
An all-time favourite in our household as a kid. Mum used to use half ordinary milk and a tin of evaporated milk, which makes a beautiful creamy rice, very similar to the "Ambrosia" tinned rice in England -try it, you will be a convert! !
Ingredients:
4 tbsp short grain rice
1 tbsp sugar
3 & 1/2 cups of milk (use 1 tin evaporated and the balance in ordinary milk)
15g butter
nutmeg
Method:
Place rice in buttered dish. Add sugar & milk (just use the ordinary first, add evaporated a bit later) dot small pieces of butter over the top and sprinkle with grated nutmeg. Bake at 160Cfor 1 & 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. As it begins to thicken, stir in evaporated milk and continue cooking till creamy (I add extra milk if required) usually another 30 minutes or so.

alebix, Apr 28, 4:52am
Cook the rice in the milk... makes it very creamy and yummy.

When its cooked, add drained crushed pineapple and whipped cream. its really nice warm or cold. .

seniorbones, Apr 28, 10:06am
yum... thats sounds nice might try that tomorrow night. . do you add the pineapple and cream after its cooled? otherwise the cream would end up runny again.

margyr, Apr 28, 6:11pm
another quick and quite yummy one is to boil med/short grain rice, then add a tin of condensed milk to it and stir.

google0, Apr 28, 8:49pm
Lastnight I used 8tbspns of aborio rice, 1/4 water, 300ml milk, 300ml cream. Bought to a boil then simmered till rice cooked. Mixed in 3tbspns castor suger, 1tbsp vanilla and 1tbsp butter. MAGIC! It was beautiful, everyone was wanting more... Enough for 5 - 6. We were dipping into before it was served it was that scrummy.

zappi, Apr 28, 9:05pm
crockpot rice pudding. Yummy.
Just made this last night for the first time.
1/2 cup rice, 3 cups milk, 1/4 tspn salt, 2-3 tablspns sugar (white or brown) nutmeg, cook on low for 4 hours in the crockpot + 1/2 hour extra at end once egg mixed thru.

1 or 2 eggs with 1-2 tblspns of milk to mix well. Stir into hot sweetened cooked rice and milk. Leave to cook 1/2 hour longer.
(I doubled this recipe and only used 2 eggs for the double mixture. )
Had plenty for 5 of us and leftovers.

pezarointeriors, Apr 29, 8:08pm
1/4 cup of short grain rice, 3 3/4 cups of milk, knob of butter, 1/4 cup of sugar and a sprinkle of nutmeg. Place in large dish and cook at about 150 for 2 1/2 hours. After half and hour of cooking give it a stir as that helps the skin. I use this about once or twice a week. Its low fat, cheap and when finished is as creamy as the tinned variety but tastier. You can also add sultanas or a blob of jam at the end.

daisyk, Apr 29, 8:47pm
Thank you everyone. Very timely recipe. My husband adores creamed rice, so I was going to experiment this weekend on a "what I can remember recipe" last used about 150 years ago lol

aaron_nz02, May 16, 5:49am
where can you get short grain rice in Levin? ? ? I have tried everywhere and can never seem to get it. It doesn't turn out properly with long grain but that is all I can find here. TIA

mightyone, Jul 24, 5:30am
googleO I tried your recipe lastnight, omgosh it was delicious! Quick n easy too, thank you.

darlingmole, Jul 24, 6:52am
ok, family of 9 here (the numbers dropped by one this week - yee har! )I made mine like this in the crock pot this week:

1 C white rice
6 cups (hot! ) milk
1/2 C sugar
2 T vanilla essece
knob of butter (50 grams ish)
1 & 1/2 T lemon zest

Whack it into crock pot on HIGH for 2 hrs, stir every 40 mins ish.

Variations:omitt lemon zest and and add chocolate drops/chips or golden syrup or just plain with the vanilla.

Add fruit at the end and definately cream or ice cream~!

Talk about EASY~! ;-P

google0, Jul 25, 5:37am
Oh my, we have this weekly now, haha... I have changed it since my original post. 600ml milk instead of half cream, half milk. Also added an extra tbsp of vanilla. Divine! Add scoop of ice-cream, mmmmmmm

google0, Nov 26, 11:48am
Aborio is perfect