Living Alone ?? Budget Meal/s

cher4u, Feb 6, 12:05am
Wow. . I just made myself the easiest & tastiest meal I have had in ages. . from leftover boiled potatoes. . A form of Potatoe bake. . I sliced the spuds. . did one layer. . & sprinkled the leftover peas over that. . then I took 1 X Portabello Mushroom. . and sliced that up. . and vreated another layer. . topping that with the rest of the sliced spud. . In a jug i placed 1 X pkt Maggi Mushroom & Bacon soup. . & 300 mls of milk. . whisked that up & poured that into the dish. . topped with a little grated cheese. . Place in the oven for around 25 mins (or until the mix bubbles). . at 180c. . sooooooooo nummy. . Feel free to add your own version or creation. .

scarlettnz, Feb 6, 2:43am
I do something very similar - layer potato and frozen mixed veges, along with some fresh (or dried) herbs such as thyme or rosemary, whisk up an egg or two, add some milk and pour over, top with grated cheese and bake. It's so easy and simple, and very tasty.

lilyfield, Feb 6, 8:40am
Wow-- you ladies are good. I never turn the oven on -just for me.
Microwave iit is for all my"cooking"

uli, Feb 6, 8:45am
Lilyfield - that is just hilarious - for whom in the world WOULD you then turn the oven on - if not for YOURSELF LOL :)

cher4u, Feb 6, 8:53am
The thing I like about using tha Maggi Soups. . with the milk. . is when it bubbles ? ? it thickens. . I have done a 'plain' one with French Onion Soup. . that was nummy. . Another one I did was layers of potatoes. . diced scraps of ham. . some crushed pinapple. . & I used the Hawaiian Pork Sachet. . Now I dont have to cook bubble & squeek all the time. . lol

alebix, Feb 6, 9:54am
Your making me hungry talking about all this delish food...
I must try it for my family, .

goldgurl, Feb 6, 1:16pm
Mmm Cher, that's how I make my potato bake - except I make the soup up on the stove top then layer it with the poatoes and grated cheese and whatever else I have handy... simple yet very delish :)

ddd10, Feb 6, 2:17pm
I buy those packets of flavoured pasta (San Remo or Continental) & add things to them for a budget meal, like vege's, olives, small cubes of feta cheese or half a can of chilli beans. Takes only 10 minutes to cook, as well as being super cheap.

dan70, Feb 6, 11:42pm
that dish is nice made with cheese sauce as well

beaker59, Feb 7, 8:10am
I was single for a year 5 years ago, I was recovering from illness and overweight so went on a healthy food kick and evening meals generally consisted of huge salads with plenty of raw and multicoloured veg like tomato, capsicum, onion, sring and or red and or brown onion toasted seeds. Usually some nice meat usually a smaller but high quality cut. This really worked for me lost plenty of weight and gained heaps of energy and ultimately a new wife.

runeaholics, Feb 7, 8:44am
Best soup I tasted over a friend's house... later asked for recipe... and it was so simple!

1 bottle of 300ml cream
1 can of cream style corn
Some sliced cheese
Milk
(Optional: bacon/ham/sausage, peas, mushroom, etc)

Pour cream and cream style corn into the pot and add milk to dilute to suit your taste.
Heat it until it boils, add mushroom, peas, bacon/ham/sausage and cheese. Stir while cooking, simmer for a few mins, and you're done!

Dunno if this is cheap, but it sure tastes so good... .

cher4u, Feb 7, 7:42pm
A Rice Rissotto is nice. . Half way thru I add lots of diced fresh vegies. . great for now. . as I have lots of Cauli, broccoli etc in the garden. . baby carrots. .

lil_miss_haley, Feb 7, 9:18pm
I make something similar to runeholics, usually with leftover roast veges. I stirfry mushrooms, courgette, capsicum, onions or whatever else I feel like together. Then I mash together the leftover roast veges and add shreadded leftover roast meat and add to the pan. Then pour over cream and add some cheese. Stir till cooked through and starting to boil. If you want you can add pasta too.

In fact I'm making it for dinner tonight, without the high carb veges for me (dp gets them though). Super quick and easy and a great way of using up spare veges.

frances1266, Feb 8, 2:23am
Fritters are cheap and easy. Use a basic batter recipe i. e. flour, baking powder, 1 egg, milk and add grated veggies and cook in a little oil on both sides. You can add any veg you like, herbs, chilli sauce etc and they are quite tasty.

bucjo, Jul 30, 3:54pm
i find stirring a can of tuna into some flavoured couscous is a really cheap and easy meal.