Pumpkin soup

kristafin, Mar 18, 12:01am
never made pumkin soup and have been given a few big pumpkind so thought id give it qa try if anyone can give me their fav recipes that would be fantastic!

petal1955, Mar 18, 12:19am
Pumpkin Soup
100g onions, diced
20g garlic, crushed
1kg pumpkin, cubed
1 dsp brown sugar
1 dsp curry powder
1 litre chicken stock
150 ml cream
salt and pepper
Cook the onions in a little oil until golden, then add garlic, curry powder and brown sugar and pumpkin.
Cover with chicken stock and cook until pumpkin is soft.
Blend ingredients into a puree and finish with cream and salt and pepper to taste.

Spiced Pumpkin Soup
When it's a cold, wet, late autumn weekend, like the one that heralded the month of May, I want something quick and easy for a lazy lunch and as I don’t want to have to venture to the shops, I use cupboard ingredients. Hopefully there is pumpkin in my vege cupboard and Pumpkin Soup is near the top of my list for laziness. The addition of a little curry powder adds a warm spicy glow.

This recipe serves two with enough for seconds.
You will need
- about 500 grams of peeled and chopped pumpkin – I prefer the grey-skinned 'Crown' variety
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
- a tablespoon of butter
- a tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon of chicken stock powder
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 4 cups of water
- cream and chives for garnish
Melt the butter and oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and onion to saute for 2-3 minutes until the onion becomes soft and golden.
Sprinkle over the chicken stock powder and spices, stir to combine and cook a little longer.
Add the roughly chopped pumpkin and a carrot if you like – I use carrot if I haven’t enough pumpkin in the cupboard. Let the vegetable brown slightly, stirring occasionally.
Add a little of the water and stir to integrate the goodies off the bottom of the saucepan, then add the remainder of the water to cover the vegetables.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.
Pour into a blender or use a stick mixer directly in the saucepan and process until the soup is nice and smooth.
Pour into serving bowls, add a lick of fresh cream to each bowl and garnish with freshly chopped chives and a little chopped coriander if you have it.
Serve with baked garlic bread. I keep bread rolls in the freezer for such an occasion. Slice the rolls diagonally and butter with a butter paste into which 2 or 3 cloves of crushed garlic have been added. Wrap in tinfoil and pop into a pre-heated 180 degree Celsius to cook for about 20 minutes too.

Pumpkin Soup

SERVES 8

1 pumpkin
2 onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic
1 bunch thyme
1 litre Cream
2 litres stock (vegetable or chicken)
2 bay leaves
250 gm bacon, diced
Salt and pepper

1. Dice the pumpkin and season well with salt and pepper. Roast at 220oC until very soft. Remove the skin.
2. In a pot slowly fry the onions and garlic until soft and translucent. Pour in stock and bring to the boil.
3. Add the pumpkin, bay leaves and thyme, simmer for 30 minutes. The mix will become very wet you may need extra stock so you have a nice soupy consistency.
4. Remove the thyme and bay leaves. Blend until smooth.
5. To serve: fry the bacon until golden, add with the cream and bring back to the boil. Check seasoning and serve.

You may not need all the cream its up to you how you like it

Home

About

Shop

Recipes

News

Links

Contact Us

Printer friendly version

Spiced Pumkin Soup

INGREDIENTS

For 3-4 servings:

1 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 Tbsp oil
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp freshly ground coriander seeds
750g pumpkin
1 cup water
about 1 cup coconut cream
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Tabasco sauce

Soup is one of the ultimate comfort foods, and at this time of year, pumpkin soup is our favourite kind!

This version is particularly quick and easy, while the added spices and coconut cream turn it into something quite exotic.

In a medium-sized pot, gently cook the garlic in the oil for about a minute, then add the crushed coriander seeds and heat for another minute or two, until the spices are

245sam, Mar 18, 12:26am
kristafin, I was going to post a link for you to have a look at one of the many earlier threads but there are so many different versions of pumpkin soup that IMO it's best that you try doing a search here on the Recipes MB using pumpkin soup as the Keywords and Last year as the Date posted option.By doing a search you'll find lots of those different versions, flavours and other variations on all those earlier threads on this same topic.

Hope that helps.Have fun making the soup - it's certainly not difficult and I'm sure you'll enjoy your lovely fresh homemade soup.:-))

purplegoanna, Mar 18, 8:35pm
my recipe seems to have its fans. my pumpkin soup recipe. Roast Pumpkin & Garlic Soup
I use a whole lge white skinned ‘Crown or Grey pumpkins’, cut into wedges, peel skin, deseeded then half again, roast in olive oil with 1-2 lge garlic bulbs, broken into cloves and peeled. Separately dice & fry 5-6 rashers of bacon in a large saucepan. After bacon is browned add pumpkin pieces cooled and deskinned & garlic. Use a stick blender to blend into a smooth mix, adding enough chicken stock while blending until you get a nice thick soup consistency, then add, salt, pepper & 1tsp curry powder to taste. Reheat on low heat slowly and serve with grilled cheese toast. To impress guests add a dollop of sour cream just before serving, use a toothpick and draw lines from sour cream out into soup, then serve. Or add 1/2c of coconut cream for extra richness

twindizzy, Mar 18, 8:57pm
Curry powder and bacon are the secret ingredients !

cookessentials, Mar 18, 8:59pm
Add grated nutmeg to your plain pumpkin soup, it brings out the flavour of the pumpkin.

kristafin, Mar 19, 12:06am
thanks guys cant wait to give it a go

sampa, Mar 19, 2:48am
Earlier this week I made what I think is my best ever pumpkin soup.I was kind of forced into this by the fact that I had various vegies in desperate need of using up plus half a container of chicken stock in the fridge.I didn't record quantities but it went something like this.

Peer in desperation at surplus vegies that need to be turned into something NOW!
Chop wilting celery and throw in pot with a little oil.
Begin desperate search for brown onion (of course, why would the most common vegetable of the lot be in evidence!).Find onion, wipe brow with relief, introduce it to celery.
Decide that courgette/s are feeling left out of the party and add them too.It's not a real party after all at this time of the year if courgettes aren't invited.
Add chicken stock and season with a bit of garlic salt and white pepper.
Glare at pumpkin while debating to yourself the necessity of peeling it, surely the fibre in the skin is good for us!Give in and peel pumpkin (the better part of a left over butternut) and add to pot.
Stir, taste, top up with extra water as needed, season a bit more.Make executive decision not to puree since it's tasting so great by then.
Serve piping hot with homemade bear bread and a certain feeling of smug. aren't I so cleverness!

clevercloggs, Mar 19, 3:40am
Gee my pumpkin soup is only made with onions, pumpkin, water, butter, milk and cream to finish. I don't like garlic in it and I hate using stock. If you buy a real orange coloured pumpkin they are much more flavoursome and I find I don't need stock at all. I begin by frying the cubed pumpkin and onions in butter, add water till the pumpkin is soft, then add milk. I purée it all and then add cream and seasoning to taste. It's a big hit in my home.

edjill41, Mar 19, 6:54am
I only ever use Buttercup ( the greeny skin) asI think the flavour is superior. Yes to a tiny bit of curry powder, but my secret is grated orange zest and squeeze of oj at the end

lucky1989, Mar 19, 8:40am
secret ingredient is peanut butter, seriously!

meynells, Mar 19, 10:54pm
Here's a delicious and EASY pumpkin soup recipe.

1 large gray pumpkin
4 onions, roughly chopped
2 pkts chicken noodle soup
1-2 tsp curry powder
1 Tbsp green herb stock

Boil in enough water to just cover pumpkin.
Blend.

Easy Peasy and so delicious!

horizons_, Mar 22, 1:54am
Try adding cumin, rather tasty imho