Cheesy Scotch Eggs.................

rkh38, Apr 27, 10:50pm
We used to get chessy scotch eggs at school and i would love to make them, but am struggling to find a recipe - any ideas? ?

245sam, Apr 27, 11:13pm
rkh38, with the cheesey scotch eggs that you enjoyed at school, do you recall where the cheese was in them - was it mixed into the sausagemeat or included in the crumb coating or was a piece/slice wrapped in the sausagemeat along with the egg?

I suggest that you try any scotch egg recipe of your choice and include some grated tasty cheese (or other 'strong-ish' cheese of your choice) wherever you think the cheese was included in your school favs.
My reason for suggesting that you use a 'strong-ish' cheese is so that you get the cheese flavour while using a minimal amount of cheese because using a mild cheese would necessitate using a greater amount of cheese to get the flavour and that would IMO add extra unwanted oiliness/fat and could affect the ease of cooking the scotch eggs, especially if deep-frying them.

Hope that helps. :-))

cookessentials, Apr 27, 11:21pm
The Scoth eggs my Mum used to make were sausage meat formed around a hard boiled egg, then rolled in breadcrumbs and deep fried - i guess when you make them, you couldso thin pieces of cheese wrapped around the egg before you put the sausage meat around it - unless there was a different version you were thinking of?

rkh38, Apr 27, 11:33pm
Thanks for the ideas! The ones i had were eggs in the middle with a mixture around them of cheese/and something? ? Almost like cheese mixed with something, then coated in bread crumbs.

margyr, Apr 27, 11:57pm
x1
hi found this one on google, Cheesy Scotch Eggs
English, Recipes
Ingredients:
500g potatoes (mashed)
125g cheddar cheese, grated
4 eggs, boiled & peeled
1 egg, beaten
50g fine breadcrumbs
sunflower oil, for frying
salt & pepper

Method:
Mix the mashed potato and cheese and season with salt and pepper.
Using floured hands, divide the mixture into 4 and mould around the eggs.
Dip the coated eggs in the beaten egg and coat in breadcrumbs. Heat oil and fry eggs for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Drain the scotch eggs and serve with tomato sauce and french-fries.
Maybe the mashed potato is the something? they sound nice.

rkh38, Apr 28, 12:08am
yummy thanks for that! !

margyr, Apr 28, 12:11am
any oil would do also i think.

frances1266, Apr 28, 3:42am
I used to make some years ago with breadcrumbs, gr. cheese, mixed herbs, s&p formed around the egg and then dipped in egg white and dried breadcrumbs and fried in oil in a wok. Think they can be baked if you want to cut back on frying. They were very nice and kids loved them.

frances1266, Apr 28, 6:06am
Sorry forgot to add gr. onion to be added to recipe.

eastie3, Apr 28, 6:18am
I see Trademe Recipes is still being hijacked by Stack of recipes.

Shame ! ! !

rkh38, Mar 15, 3:14am
dont understand? ? ? i thought thats why it was titled RECIPES? ? ?