A salad dressing recipe that kids like?

wendalls, Feb 18, 12:54am
Hi. Any ideas! We had a simple tasting dressing over rocket at a cafe which my daughter actually liked this weekend. It was slightly sweet without a vinegar taste. Wasnt too oily either. We are all fussy on dressings so rarely eat salads. Any tried and true recipes before i start experimenting! I havent found a vinegrette that i like . maybe i need to buy more expensive oils and vinegars!

harrislucinda, Feb 18, 12:59am
ihaveneverlikedanydressingsonmy saladsasdontlikevinegarbuthavefoundthis1calledBestFoodshas abluelidInowhavea bout1tsponmy salads

sclaredy_cat, Feb 18, 2:00am
Was the consistency creamy or was it clear like vinaigrette! Do you think it might be the condensed milk one!

lilyfield, Feb 18, 2:06am
As kid all I ever liked was lemonjuice,sugar and cream or topmilk or evaporated milk

valentino, Feb 18, 2:43am
Hmmm, recently and throughout this season so far have opted more into this dressing;

Mix a 250g tub of sour cream with a squirt of Wasabi (amount to taste and too much can be too strong), bit of salt and pepper, about a teaspoon or a little bit more of dried Dill tip bits, and alter consistency with a dash or two of cold water.

I do this in a wide neck jar, stir it all until runny enough to put a lid on it and shake it.

I like the Wasabi horseradish taste just coming through and no more.

Cheers

I feel if the same could be done with mustard by firstly mixing the mustard with a bit of water then continue as above.

ruby19, Feb 18, 4:20am
Try asking the cafe, asthey may used a remade variety. Or if made by themselves, even if they won't part with the actual recipe, they may let you know what style of dressing it was.
Kids love ranch dressing, and balsamic dressing, Paul Newman brand is quite good.

uli, Feb 18, 4:24am
I made a huge big salad for one of my recent pizza events. It had lots of different greens, tomatoes, herbs and cucumbers in it and was dressed with olive oil, garlic, a mix of cider vinegar and balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper. We had several kids from 2 onwards and they all dug in.

It might depend on what the kids were raised. If they expect a sweet non oily dressing because that is what they were brought up on then you have to slowly adjust (in case you want to adjust) - otherwise just mix the old NZ standby of sweetened condensed milk with whatever gets added if you want a sweet non-oily dressing.

sarahb5, Feb 18, 6:40am
My kids all liked "normal" mayonnaise or salad dressing (like you get at KFC on coleslaw), aioli and vinaigrette made with raspberry vinegar when they were younger.Now they will pretty much eat salad with any dressing I chuck in there although they have never and will never get salad dressing made with condensed milk in this house - just the thought of it makes me gag.

wendalls, Feb 18, 8:18am
Thanks all. It was a clear style, probably not store bought as the rest of the meal was too awesome.! I could never do the condensed milk or KFC varieties as that is what put me off dressings for 30 years! Yep i would also gag. We do best foods mayo now but only with brocolli salad and on burger buns. Yes they love aioli but i would rather steer clear of the high cals if ive gotta eat it!
I think i will try cider vinegar

wendalls, Feb 18, 8:22am
And trust my tastebuds to experiment.

korbo, Feb 18, 8:26am
I asked at breakers resturant what dressing they put on their salads as it was so nice. it was a honey mustard.not too sweet, but nice and tangy.

uli, Feb 18, 8:27am
Good olive oil, cider vinegar, a bit of balsamic if you want it sweeter, salt, pepper, garlic, herbs is all you need. Try out quantities and do not be afraid to use more oil than vinegar.

Good luck - it would be sad if you are missing out on green salads because you cannot find a dressing you like!

wendalls, Feb 18, 9:18am
Yes i know Uli. I have made some great thai style dressings and then forgotten what recipe i used. And not been able to reproduce it. Not sure if the kids would eat those though. I will def. Try your suggestion first. I have found a lighter olive oil as we dont like the strong olive oil taste either!

sarahb5, Feb 18, 9:20am
Lemon juice and olive oil are also good, especially with some whole grain mustard and herbs or garlic.You can also add chilli (dry or fresh) for variety, honey, soy sauce or wasabi.Start simple and change it to suit what you're eating - I do still love the vinaigrette with raspberry vinegar and it goes especially well with rice salad or beetroot.

taurushat, Feb 18, 9:59am
Kids love this one

¼ cup White Vinegar
1/4 cup Castor Sugar
1 tblsp Light Soy Sauce
2 tspsesame oil
½ cup Olive Oil
Shake well in jar or shaker

amourette, Feb 18, 10:25pm
yummy.our little boy is only 2 so hasn't started eating much salad leaves as such but we switched to more real food this year, I have been making a yummy tahini dressing with dill and lemon and a squidge of good olive oil.would it have perhaps been a vinagrette with red wine vinegar (if lighter in colour) and you could sweeten it with raw honey!I am determined to enlarge my repertoire of salad dressings so just researching too.hope you find the one you want