Can someone explain to me jam/jelly 'setting'

dibble35, Feb 18, 6:25pm
Hi i'm new to this jam and jelly making, I' plan on making crab apple jelly tomorrow. I tried making quince jelly awhile ago and it ended up setting like rubber even though i thought i'd followed the recipe books checking for 'setting' exactly, I made rhubarb and vanilla jam (yum)a month ago and that turned out fine although the whole time I was worried i'd stuffed it up again. Is there an easy way to check if the jelly has set - i'd loveinstructions if any one has the time, thanks

lilyfield, Feb 18, 7:03pm
Buy yourself a sugar thermometer,
It has the setting temparature marked on it.

carter19, Feb 18, 7:39pm
Jam is generally ready when the last drop stays on the wooden spoon. So Hold the wooden spoon above the pot and if they are coming off quickly, keep boiling. I wait until the drips start slowing then do the saucer test as well.
When you put a spoon full of jelly on a saucer, take the pot off the stove, put the saucer in the freezer and check after 1 minute. If it starts to crinkle and leavetrack where your finger has been, it's done.
Eventually you learn to recognise the changes in colour and texture. Having said that, after 30 years I've never ruined any jam. (Plenty of other things tho!)

dibble35, Feb 18, 8:35pm
thanks carter. will give it a go, fingers crossed LOL

harrislucinda, Feb 18, 9:43pm
allfruitsare differentso timeingwill bethatalsobutasaboveplacesomeon asaucerandyoucanseeaskinforming
alsowithjellydontsqueezethebag asthat will makejellyturncloudygoodluck

whitehead., Feb 19, 5:59am
ive made crab apple jelly once and i found it was setting on the edges of the pot while the middle was boiling crab apples are good for setting your jams if you add a jar of jelly to your fruit when cooking it .

dibble35, Feb 20, 3:14am
I'm so proud of myself, it turned out perfect. I did bottle it as soon as it started wrinkling even just the smallest bit. Only got 2 jars so next time i'd want to double the fruit quantity. mmmm yummy.